September 18, 2014

News Roundup: 'Lone Star' Writer Begs Viewers to Watch, 'Modern Family' Wins the Ratings

by Jean Bentley, posted Sep 23rd 2010 7:30PM
'Lone Star''Lone Star' creator Kyle Killen hasn't given up on his new show quite yet. The writer penned an open letter on his blog yesterday imploring viewers to watch his failing series, which bombed in its Monday night debut.

Only 4.1 million viewers tuned into the show's premiere, leaving its future in serious jeopardy. On Tuesday, The Hollywood Reporter speculated that Fox could even yank the show before its second episode aired. However, the network is giving 'Lone Star,' one of the best-reviewed new shows of the season, a second shot.

Killen is hoping viewers will give it a second (or first) shot too. "Maybe, just maybe, it's one of those moments where the thing everyone said COULD NOT HAPPEN actually just...does," he pleaded in his post, titled "You're Invited To Our Stunning Upset."

In other TV news ...

'Modern Family' topped the ratings last night with its season 2 premiere. The Emmy-winning show nabbed 12.6 million viewers, a 19 percent increase from the series' debut last fall. 'Cougar Town,' 'The Middle,' 'Better With You,' 'The Defenders' and 'Law & Order: SVU' all saw solid premieres, while 'The Whole Truth' and 'Undercovers' performed disappointingly. [The Hollywood Reporter]

Lifetime has renewed 'Drop Dead Diva' and 'Army Wives' for 13 more episodes each. 'Diva' season 2 and 'Wives' season 4 will premiere in 2011. [Deadline Hollywood]

Actress Jackie Burroughs died yesterday in her Toronto home. The Canadian TV and film star appeared in the CBC series 'Road to Avonlea,' as well as the 1985 'Little House on the Prairie' TV movie. She succumbed to stomach cancer at the age of 71. [CBC]

A TV series based on the movie 'Goodfellas' is currently in the works. The film's writer, Nicholas Pileggi, will most likely write the pilot script, but there's no word yet on whether the film's director, Martin Scorsese, will be involved. [Deadline Hollywood]

Fox has picked up a new drama from 'Fringe' producers Alex Kurtzman and Roberto Orci. The procedural, about CIA agents who are sent in to "fix operations gone wrong," will be called 'Exit Strategy.' [Deadline Hollywood]

Oprah encouraged her viewers to attend Jon Stewart's Rally to Restore Sanity. The talk show host tweeted "I think Jon Stewart's on to something" yesterday. [The Live Feed]

Pierpoint Windsor

The is the fascist extremist far right tool of Murdock. A network we block. WE view no commercials or programs which his network presents. This network plays to divisiveness, hate, fabrication and obfuscation to control OUR government in a nation of high intelligence and intellect and then there is the faux networks audience.

September 25 2010 at 10:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jeff Trenkle

I watched it, and I watched it on Hulu and hope that counts towards the ratings. I enjoyed it! I miss Flash Forward, another series I watched with my girl on Hulu. And this is not an ad for the site, it is just those digital mediums facilitate coordinating times to watch them with your girl. I hope that counts as watching it, for it is always sad to get into a story and then it gets pulled out of production.

September 25 2010 at 7:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lisa

It's a shame that this show is struggling. It was well acted and could get very interesting in later episodes. I enjoyed it.

September 25 2010 at 7:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Barbara Smith

I also would not watch because of the ads on AOL last week-showing the guy with 2 different women with their legs around him---no thanks! Lets get something on tv that does not involve sinful behavior being glorified!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

September 25 2010 at 7:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
S

There is nothing appealing about this concept....bigamy and stealing people's life savings? I watched all of it hoping to find something entertaining. You're right I don't have to watch it and I wont. I'm a Texan and even saw scenes filmed near my home. Didn't help. It's a real dud.

September 25 2010 at 7:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Todd LeBaron

I have stunning news for all of you who are bitching about this series. NO ONE IS HOLDING A GUN TO YOUR HEAD SAYING YOU MUST WATCH IT!!! We now return you to your regularly scheduled programming...which no one is forcing you to watch either.

September 25 2010 at 6:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jim

Instead of cancelling new shows that do poorly against established shows; why not move them to Friday or Saturday. There is absolutely nothing on Friday or Saturday!!

September 25 2010 at 6:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Shell

I'd rather read! Some things are not worth my time to spend watching and this show is one of them.

September 25 2010 at 5:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tena

Personally, this show just doesn't appeal to me and I'm a Texan. It sounded too much like a soap. I could be wrong.

September 25 2010 at 5:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
paul smith

Sorry, couldn't watch it all the way through, toooo boring!!

September 25 2010 at 5:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply