December 19, 2014

'The Big Bang Theory''s Extra One Minute Is Ruining My Life

by Jean Bentley, posted Sep 23rd 2010 5:00PM
'The Big Bang Theory' CastI love 'The Big Bang Theory.' I really do. But the extra minute tacked onto tonight's season 4 premiere is pretty much ruining my life. To be fair, it's all my DVR's fault.

On a normal night, my DVR's two-channel recording capability is a godsend -- I can run errands, go out to dinner or even read a book and not worry about missing my favorite shows. But on a crowded Thursday night when there are series on literally every single major broadcast network that I want to watch, scheduling the DVR is a very strategic process.

'The Vampire Diaries' gets number one DVR priority, not only because it's amazing but also because The CW isn't always so timely with the posting of episodes online. I like 'Bones,' but am not so attached that I need to see it the night it airs -- next-day Hulu-ing is fine. 'My Generation' and 'Community' get the online treatment as well, leaving 'The Big Bang Theory' to take the second 8PM DVR slot. Since it's a half-hour show, I can then record '30 Rock' at 8:30.

That's where the extra minute throws a gigantic, TV-ruining wrench in my plans. That 60-second bonus, however minute, means that from 8:30 to 8:31, my DVR is trying to record three shows at once: 'The Vampire Diaries,' the extra minute of 'The Big Bang Theory' and '30 Rock.' As we know, that is an impossible task.

I'd love that extra morsel of a scene the minute will allow, but it means I'll either have to pounce on my remote at 8:31 exactly and hope I didn't miss too much of the '30 Rock' opening, or watch it online the next day (with the other gajillion shows in my Hulu queue). Waiting an extra 12 hours to watch Liz Lemon's latest misadventures? Unacceptable.

And before you say anything, my DVR is uncooperative and won't let me schedule the '30 Rock' recording a minute late. I am bound to the rigid confines of the digital cable grid.

So I'd like to suggest to 'BBT' producers that, next time they'd like to treat us with bonus content, they do so in the form of a webisode. Or perhaps they could take that minute out of one of the commercial breaks rather than the next half-hour. On such a competitive TV night, it's only fair.

Have you ever encountered a similar problem with your DVR? How did you solve it?

George

Get a TiVo. It will clip the one minute's worth of the overlapping show of your choice.
(TiVo : cable DVR as Macintosh : Windows.)

September 24 2010 at 9:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Phish

i have 3 words for you, that will solve all your problems:

1) utorrent
2) broadcasthe.net
3) wdtv media player

all problems solved.

September 24 2010 at 3:24 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lorie

I hate that extra minute! Too bad you don't have on-demand channels. That's been a life-saver when I have 3 shows that air at the same time.

Sometimes I'm forced to remove that extra minute from the DVR and then later watch that last minute online.

Other times, if one of my 3 shows is on cable and re-airs multiple times throughout the rest of the week, I'll tape the episode at a later date.

September 23 2010 at 11:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
O Nikos

It's simple... One minute less at the end of Big Bang or at the beginning of 30 Rock... Usually the last minute on Big Bang is not THAT important so it would be an easy choice...

I'm the same way with one minute over with Grey's Anatomy, but I choose to lose 1 min of the recap of Apprentice...

September 23 2010 at 10:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Arclight

Watching: Community/20 Rock

Taping: Bones

Torrenting: Big Bang just because of its extra minute, and no desire to watch the Shatner show.

September 23 2010 at 7:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Arclight's comment
wulfn1

Strangely enough, the Shatner show was ACTUALLY funny! I was duly surprised. I expected to be bored and not to continue watching , but it wasn't half bad.

Down side to being able to DVR two different channels though?,... sometimes you end up missing shows still. I totally missed the Modern Family premiere because I already had two programs taping at both eastern and western time slots.

My dvr will allow me to assign an extra five minutes front or back of a show, but will cancel out that option if it conflicts with another show taping.

On the subject of how dvr's work against us, ever notice how difficult it is to jump ahead through commercials? so many ff/rw's and in some cases virtually impossible to totally miss the commercials. The advertising companies have made their commercials several seconds longer, so the last couple seconds will often show up even if you're trying to avoid it.

September 23 2010 at 10:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kireet

Take a minute out of commercials? The networks would NEVER do that. That's throwing money out the door.

Also, Joshed is on to something here.

September 23 2010 at 6:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
sid

I get all of the networks in both the eastern and pacific time zones. So if something overlaps I can just tape it later when it shows again in the pacific.

My DVR will also has the option to either skip the last minute of the first show, or skip the first minute of the last show.

Call your cable company and see if either of these options are available to you.

If not and you're in a big enough city, stick an antennae on the roof and watch the third show live while the other two record.

September 23 2010 at 6:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mike

Here's another solution: Buy a Tivo... they're smarter than your cable's dvr, apparently.

September 23 2010 at 6:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ColleenO

our dvr is capable of taping four shows at once. maybe you should change providers.

September 23 2010 at 5:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to ColleenO's comment
Tucker

Some people don't have a choice, smartass.

September 23 2010 at 8:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Hal Mulligan

Not a great solution, but when I have this conflict (same cable provider I'm sure), I set one of the recordings manually so I can dictate the start or stop time. I would probably end BBT early and read the vanity card online.

September 23 2010 at 5:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply