September 1, 2014

'Grey's Anatomy' Season 7, Episode 1 (Season Premiere) Recap

by Michael Pascua, posted Sep 24th 2010 7:45AM
Ahh! Meridith Grey looks like a raccoon!['Grey's Anatomy' -'With You I'm Born Again']

When 'Grey's Anatomy' began on an airplane, part of me wished that it mysteriously changed into 'Lost' and Bailey would be stuck dealing with smoke monsters and Hurley.

This season opener wasn't as attention-grabbing as it could have been. The whole episode was an attempt to go back to the status quo after the dramatic shooting last season. There were constant flashbacks to the shooting and moments that happened within a month of the present episode.

After watching this episode you start to wish that the characters were fleshed-out more. Alex wanted to be bad-ass, Lexie went psycho-crazy,and Bailey went home because she's broken and had broken up with Ben. Callie, Arizona, Mark and Teddy were pushed to the side for now.

Will the producers stop forcing April upon the audience? It's hard to understand how viewers could accept both Jackson and April sitting with Cristina, Meredith, Lexie and Alex during lunch. The underlying story-line where April follows Derek like a puppy was disturbing enough.

We found out that Derek now has adrenaline addictions and quit the chief position to return to surgery. I loved watching Meredith react to his speeding at the end.

Sandra Oh's acting was the strongest of all the actors in the episode. She was spot on with her quips, her breakdown in the flashback was believable, and she looked stunning in her wedding dress. Sandra Oh's good acting was counterbalanced by questionable Cristina moments. I hated the concept of how Cristina and Owen got married. Maybe it was Kevin McKidd's weak acting skills, or just the nature of the moment. It was as if Owen took advantage of a mentally unstable Cristina. She answered his request for marriage with "thank you" and not any form of "yes." She reacted from PTSD and not love.

There were a handful of moments that brought a smile to the face: The chief's victory dance, Arizona's "My bubble is so pink and so pretty," Callie's "I want you to have a whole ... blow-dryer," and Cristina requesting no white or rice for her wedding. The biggest crime against fashion award had to to Meredith who looked like an ugly raccoon during Cristina's wedding. The makeup artist for that scene needs to be fired.

The episode had a lot of highs and lows, but here's hoping that some of the PTSD storylines will dissipate soon. Also, now that most of the characters (except for Callie and Arizona) are suffering from PTSD, the Owen storyline will go away.

Were you excited about the season opener or are you turning off from 'Grey's'? Leave your comments below.

'Grey's Anatomy' airs Thurs., 9PM ET on ABC.

ray

watch full episode of Grey's Anatomy @ http://latestshowstv.blogspot.com/

January 23 2011 at 9:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ray

Grey's Anatomy - Derek breaks ground on his Alzheimer's clinical trial... Season 7 Episode 13 http://latestshowstv.blogspot.com/

January 23 2011 at 9:49 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lucy

Meredith looked gorgeous! The make-up arstist did a great job. The dress showed off her figure and I loved the necklace (where's it from?!) - it was refreshing to see her, and the rest of the cast, in something other than scrubs. The first episode was well suited as a follow up to the dramatic final episodes of season 6 - if the writers hadn't portrayed the trauma and repercusions of the shootings then viewers would have complained that there was no recognition of what had happened at all.

October 30 2010 at 7:59 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Taylor

I thought it was just ok.

I definitely was a little let-down because I know the great stuff that Krista Vernoff is capable of writing. Like you, I felt there was a distinct lack of depth, especially following the S6 finale.

I also agree with you re: the Owen/Cristina proposal. The best line for me in that scene was Owen asking, "Cristina, what is this?". When he brought out that ring, I instantly felt he was taking advantage of her fear to ensure she agreed to be his wife, especially since she'd dumped him in the S6 finale. Having torn down Owen in S6, I'd hoped that this would be the season for the producers to redeem him.

However, I also feel it's early days yet and the stories are still being told; if their story-lines get fleshier, this may very well turn out to be a great season for Grey's.

Oh, and Mer looked lovely at the wedding!

September 29 2010 at 6:57 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ricochet

Other than the FACT that Derrick would never have been allowed to have the ring in his possession in the jail and my OPINION that even Christina knows this wedding is a mistake, the show was wonderful!

September 27 2010 at 4:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Xina

I am with Jason. last season's finale was really good, and surprising, the didnt' need to come back with guns blazing right away. We caught little glimpses into things that were still bothering the doctors, how they were coping, etc.

I thought it was good, and I thought Meredith looked lovely at the end there.

September 24 2010 at 5:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Xina's comment
chip

I agree with Jason and Xina. I thought it was very good and a perfect follow up to the season 6 finale.

September 25 2010 at 6:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jason

Man I wonder what it takes to get a decent review on this website. I love TV Squad, but I swear if they showed The Godfather on ABC and called it a pilot, these guys would tell us how bad the acting, makeup, wardrobe, etc. is. It was a decent hour of TV, made me laugh a few times and kept me entertained. I don't know about everyone else, but that's all I ask of my television.

September 24 2010 at 4:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Couchtime With Jill

I thought it was amaaaaaazing. The perfect followup to the shooting, it was subtle and emotional. The flashbacks were the perfect way to frame what everyone has been going through as well. I'm so glad that I didn't stop watching this show, because for a while there I really hated it (Izzie seeing dead people? Really?) but this was perfect. Check out my full review here: www.couchtimewithjill.com and tell me why you agree or disagree.

September 24 2010 at 12:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bradley

I have to say I was slightly disappointed. I feel the same way jana does was not sure what to expect but all I know is I 'm not sure if I really liked it I am gonna watch the season finale and the season opener thisweekend and maybe watching them back to back might make it better.

September 24 2010 at 12:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jan Crump

I was disappointed, I don't know what I expected or wanted, I just wasn't impressed???? I'll continue to watch cause I have a few years invested in these characters lives, but I hope it gets better.

September 24 2010 at 10:22 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply