September 16, 2014
TV's Best Video Clips - Updated Daily

Katherine Heigl Uses a Smoke Stick on 'Late Show,' Discusses Fighting Her Addiction (VIDEO)

by Oliver Miller, posted Sep 28th 2010 11:15AM
Katherine Heigl Smokes a 'Cigarette' on 'Late Show,' Discusses Fighting Her AddictionKatherine Heigl has been battling a cigarette addiction for six years, but finally has found a solution to her problem: a "smoke stick."

The "smoke stick" is actually a so-called "e-cigarette" -- a battery-powered device that lets you inhale nicotine while puffing out a cloud of (supposedly) harmless water vapor.

On 'Late Show' (weeknights, 11:35PM ET on CBS), Heigl demonstrated the smoke stick for David Letterman, and Dave was so impressed, he tried the "e-cigarette" out for himself. And he liked it!

Heigl began smoking at the age of 25 and has had trouble giving it up. She's "ashamed" of herself for continuing to smoke, and thinks that the habit is "stupid." However, she can't manage to quit. Not that she hasn't tried to stop. Heigl reveals that she's tried almost everything in an effort to go "cold turkey."

"I did the 'patch,' I did the gum, I did the Chantix," Heigl said. ("Chantix" is a prescription medicine used to help smokers quit.) Still, nothing worked and she'd sort of given up. Until the smoke stick.

Letterman himself has been known to enjoy a fine cigar, sometimes even sneaking puffs on them during a commercial break. Still, after he tried Heigl's electronic cigarette, he started to get -- and we quote -- "dizzy" and "loopy." Whoops.

But Letterman had a question about Heigl's e-cigarette plan. "Now," he asked, "is there a change you'll become addicted to the device?" " ... Oh yeah," the actress replied, "I'm totally addicted to the device."

Ah, yes. That might be the small flaw in her "plan," right there.

(Also, Katherine might want to be careful. The Food and Drug Administration has warned that the "harmless" smoke stick may actually be unsafe. And also, though it's currently legal to use the electronic gizmos in public, some states are trying to outlaw that practice. So Heigl may want to enjoy her public 'Late Show' "smoking" time while she still has it.)

Chris

I absolutely love electronic cigarettes. I have tried quite a few and I like my Smoke Stick the best. Has anyone else ever tried the Smoke Stick?

November 15 2010 at 1:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Urine drug testing kits

This post a good information and each word blog conveys a meaning.himalayan salt lamps

October 19 2010 at 2:43 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Urine drug testing kits

This is a good information i got from here.I really liked it and this information is worth remembering. electronic cigarette liquid

October 18 2010 at 8:33 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Urine drug testing kits

October 01 2010 at 3:46 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Richy71171

I started using the E-cig a week ago and have cut down to a few real cigarettes a day...I think the best e-cig is the GreenSmoke, you can check it out here www.greensmoke.com/vaporette

September 29 2010 at 5:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joey

All I know is that e-cigs are SAFER than cigarettes, and they got me to quit smoking the combustible tobacco that has carbon monoxide, tar, and 4000 other chemicals in it. The moment I picked up my kit from the Post Office. I feel 100% better. I can breathe again. I'm not coughing up a lung. I have more energy. I can sleep at night. My skin is healthier (even my husband said something about it, and he doesn't notice anything). I can run up the stairs without being winded.

Do we know that e-cigs are "safe"? I suppose not 100%, but the proof is in the pudding, and I feel much, much, much more healthy since I started using them.

Am I still using nicotine? Yes. But I've already weaned myself down to the lowest nic e-liquid. Soon, I'm going to introduce 0% nicotine liquid. And even if I continued to use the low-dose nicotine in the e-cig for the rest of my life, that's my deal. It's my body. 6mg of nicotine is certainly better than 4000 chemicals, tar, and Carbon Monoxide.

If you want to be honest about it, get the government to ban real cigarettes before they ban a product that I believe is the answer to the unhealthy effects of smoking. The proof is in how I feel, and I feel great.

September 28 2010 at 6:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
GrumpyOldMan

No matter what she's smoking, she looks like a skank.

September 28 2010 at 3:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ewffan

Truly, this is still a free country, with everyone allowed to voice their opinions (good and bad) about anyt5hing they may find uncomfortable, or not accepted. The FDA has not concluded whether or not e-cigs are unhealthy, yet analog smoking is approved, and causes death. Is there any proof SO FAR that e-cigs are harmful? The quotes in the tagline of the video are apparent: "so-called smoke sticks" and "(supposedly) harmless".
I thought the media is (supposedly)non-biased in reporting news. Lol, what a great country. Live and let live, and if people do not like e-cigs because of what they do not know, they need to educate themselves and form their own opinion...not accept a blogwriter's words OR Katherine Heigl's
Yes, I vape e-cigs, but I continue daily in my search for more info on the benefits and risks of using them.
Shame on anyone who tries to tell me I am inferior to them because I did not quit "smoking" their way. Everyone is different. I chose e-cigs because they are, TO ME, a healthier way to injest nicotine than traditional methods.
Also, nicotine only stays in your body for a maximum of 24 hours, that's why it's addicting: because it does not build up in your system.
I am not trying to "bash" anyone, I'm just saying that people need to chill. The internet has spawned several, if not thousands of instances where people have been injured, or even killed by information obtained on the net. But are we all hopping on the bandwagon to "outlaw" the internet?

September 28 2010 at 3:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
john

So has JT come out of the closet because he is ULTRA Gay...my gaydar is off the charts!!!!

September 28 2010 at 2:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Chuck

I guess another commercial for e-cigs. (made in India)
I remember watching Johnny Carson years back when he
smoked right on the show, now if you smoke it makes
headlines?