September 1, 2014

Comedian Greg Giraldo Dead After Drug Overdose

by Jean Bentley, posted Sep 29th 2010 5:35PM
'Last Comic Standing' judge Greg Giraldo has died, friends of the comedian confirmed today on Twitter.

Giraldo was rushed to a New Jersey hospital Saturday night after overdosing on prescription pills. Though previous reports described the incident as a suicide attempt, there was no indication Giraldo tried to take his own life.

The 44-year-old father of four, who has dealt with substance abuse troubles in the past, was scheduled to perform at the Stress Factory comedy club in New Brunswick Saturday night and the New York Recovery Rally at Randall's Island Park in NYC earlier in the day to honor National Alcohol and Drug Addiction Recovery Month.

Comedians Michael Ian Black and Jim Norton both Tweeted about Giraldo's death this afternoon, though no official statement from Giraldo's management has been issued.

Leave your condolences in the comments.

DK

Brilliant comedian. Tragic loss for his family as well as those who appreciated his sharp insight delivered through his commentary and stand up comedy. RIP.

October 03 2010 at 5:33 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Henderson

I loved Greg Giraldo's comedy, and have followed it for years. Until tonight I had no idea he was a Harvard-educated lawyer! I greatly respect those who follow the pull of stand-up. It's not an easy life. My heart aches because we lose so many of them so early.

October 01 2010 at 1:33 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joseph

" scheduled to perform at the New York Recovery Rally at Randall's Island Park in NYC earlier in the day to honor National Alcohol and Drug Addiction Recovery Month."

In retrospect, not the best choice....

September 30 2010 at 3:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Concupiscent Male

RIP Greg.
Condolences to family & friends.

September 30 2010 at 1:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Michael Spalla

I remember seeing Greg at The Vic in Chicago. It was my first stand up experience and he made me laugh out loud. Now who am I supposed to watch on Comdedy Central. He will be remembered.

September 29 2010 at 11:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tony DIMeo

Another great comedian dies early man it's always sad when comedy dies

September 29 2010 at 8:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lynn

SOOOOO sad. What a warm, wonderful talent.... and you could tell from his comments and jokes that he loved his children dearly. It's SO horrible the way the world of western medicine has pushed a pill to cure everything, and that the unwitting, too-trusting public doesn't see their danger.

September 29 2010 at 8:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to Lynn's comment
Matt

It is always a tragic loss when a great talent dies. It is an even greater loss when kids lose their father.

This has nothing to do with western medicine. You can have serious overdoses with lots of things that are non-prescription and used in other cultures. Most of the most dangerous drugs were straight from plants and only made safer by pharmaceuticals. The guy dealt with substance abuse problems and probably took too many pills with other things. I highly doubt the O.D. happened from following prescriptions.

September 29 2010 at 10:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lynn

Matt, true he surely wasn't following the prescriptions, but my point is that with western medicine culture comes a mentality that the solution to every problem is to pop a pill. Instead of more holisitic approaches to what may ail you (massage, chiropractic, scented oils, etc.).

September 30 2010 at 1:37 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Aml

When I found out about the overdose, I was hoping for the best.I will miss him. It's a shame I was never able to see him live.

September 29 2010 at 8:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jennifer

So sad when someone dies young. My condolences go out to his family during this difficult time.

September 29 2010 at 6:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lisa

Tragic loss of a young, personable and most talented young man.

God be with his family and friends at this most painful of times.

September 29 2010 at 6:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply