September 16, 2014

Just So You Know, 'Jersey Shore' is Called 'Macaroni Rascals' in Japan

by Jean Bentley, posted Sep 29th 2010 5:00PM
'Jersey Shore'Soon, Japan will be the latest country to witness the intellectually stimulating antics of the 'Jersey Shore' crew. However, the show will go by a very different name: 'Macaroni Rascals.'

Yup.

According to CNNGo.com, before the show could air on TV in Japan, a subtitle was necessary to explain it to viewers -- probably a sound decision, since the Guido stereotype is most likely not so well known in Japan. Translated, the series' new name is 'MTV Jersey Shore -- the New Jersey Life of Macaroni Rascals.'

Aside from coining the greatest new phrase known to man, the title also sounds like it's a riotous black and white farce from the 1940s, or an animated kids' show about food. Or an existential pop culture parody short story from the 'New Yorker' -- it could be highbrow too, you never know.

Though we're a little disturbed that the Italian-Americans are being identified by the stereotypical food of their ethnic group, we're glad the GTL-ing exploits of the nickname-heavy bunch will be seen by a new audience.

What do you think about 'Jersey Shore''s Japanese name?

Ed

I think it is too polite too. This show is an affront to Italian Americans and is on the level of Amos and Andy.

October 04 2010 at 9:53 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
MrNegativity4

those guys and girls are the biggest bunch of dip sh1ts i've seen in my life. i mean they are staying in Miami and go to taning places??? WTF go outside once and a while.

October 03 2010 at 3:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to MrNegativity4's comment
Amanda

I totally understand tanning in Miami. I live in sunny Southern California and I go to tanning salons to get an even tan all over. If you tan outside, you'll have a "Casper strip" across your genitals. Who wants that?

October 04 2010 at 8:59 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Perrin

I'm Italian and I FREAKING LOVE THIS! Macaroni Rascals 4EVER!!!

September 30 2010 at 3:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Elizabeth

Okay, NOW I'd be really offended if I were Italian.

September 29 2010 at 5:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
wulfn1

Name's too polite. Doesn't fit the morons it portrays.

September 29 2010 at 5:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply