November 22, 2014

'Australia's Next Top Model' Host Says Name Mix-Up Wasn't On Purpose

by Jean Bentley, posted Sep 30th 2010 3:30PM
'Australia's Next Top Model'
By now you've seen the suuuuper awkward video of a very embarrassed Sarah Murdoch informing the two finalists on 'Australia's Next Top Model' that she had announced the wrong name as the winner.

If you haven't, a quick rehash: After Kelsey Martinovich had already begun celebrating her win on the show's live finale, Murdoch started holding her earpiece and saying, "I'm so sorry, oh my god, I don't know what to say." Eventually she did speak -- to explain that the actual winner was the other finalist, Amanda Ware.

Now Murdoch has spoken out about what happened: It was a "miscommunication," according to the Telegraph. The audio in her earpiece cut out when it was time to announce the winner, so she said the name of the girl who was in the lead a few minutes before. "I had nothing. It didn't come at that moment through my [earpiece] so I went with what I was last told.As far as I knew it was the right call, it was what I had been told."

She insists that it was not a ploy to get higher ratings. "I just couldn't believe this was happening," she said. "I don't know if I love live TV so much any more."

Fashion designer Alex Perry, a judge on the show, said the mix-up was a genuine mistake. "Everybody wants to tag something sinister on it and say it was done for ratings," he said. "I know Sarah and I know the executive producer. It's just not their style."

To make up for the error, Martinovich was given $20,000 and a trip to New York City.

Do you believe this wasn't done on purpose? Or do you think it looks too staged to be real?

Sonny

of course it was made up, but for 20k you can tell
everyone that i am not Mr. America but the other guy is the winner.

October 01 2010 at 11:50 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lee

How else could another beauty contest get any publicity? Of course it was staged. But, other than the contestants, who cares??

October 01 2010 at 9:41 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Number_One_Saints_Fan

oh, that was so on purpose!

October 01 2010 at 9:22 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Vicki (Woods) Rolens

typo -- I meant to say BUT the hostess... not "nut"

October 01 2010 at 9:01 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Vicki (Woods) Rolens

Come on. Really? It was SO OBVIOUSLY fake. I don't think the two, poor contestants had any idea, nut the hostess is A TERRIBLE ACTRESS and you could see very plainly that it was very obviously staged.

October 01 2010 at 8:59 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
lynden

how unprofessional

October 01 2010 at 7:40 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jon dohhhh

Hi, I'm super-sexy Ryan Seacrest......no wait, wait...I'm so.......I'm so very sorry....I...I...there's been a mistake, omg, I'm not Ryan Seacrest after all, I'm actually Simon Cowel in drag....I'm so......omg I feel so awful right now!

October 01 2010 at 6:11 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jimmy

I really hope Ryan Seacrest does this at some point.

September 30 2010 at 9:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to Jimmy's comment
Abraxus

I can't believe people think this was staged. I mean, what did the host have to gain from it? It was a live finale, there won't be any more episodes until next year, by which time no one who didn't already watch this show will remember, therefore no gain. Also, it made her look like an idiot, I mean, who'd hire her now, knowing she messed up on a live show? As to people saying her acting was fake, that was because she wasn't acting BUT she is also no actor, she presents things but has no acting ability at all, hence the horribly cringe worthy performance here. This is a lose-lose situation for her!

October 01 2010 at 11:48 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Scott

Now that's really funny, I'd have to laugh at that myself. Good one. Touche.

October 01 2010 at 1:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply