October 24, 2014

News Roundup: 'Jersey Shore' Under Fire in Canada, Bret Michaels Gets a New Show and More

by Jean Bentley, posted Oct 1st 2010 11:30AM
'Jersey Shore'It seems not everybody is DTW (down to watch) the 'Jersey Shore' cast work on their GTL.

The macaroni rascals are under fire up North for violating the "programming strategies" of MTV Canada, according to The Hollywood Reporter. While the show is doing well with Canadian viewers, the CRTC, which is in charge of regulating Canadian television, sent the channel a letter that read, "After a review of your broadcast schedule, it would appear that several of your programs are not consistent with your nature of service."

The channel's license was originally given to Talk TV Canada, whose "original programming mandate to operate an all-talk format" still applies even though the network was rebranded to become MTV Canada.

In other TV news ...

After 20 years at MTV, programming president Tony DiSanto and senior vice president of development Liz Gately are leaving the network to form their own production company. DiSanto helped bring 'Jersey Shore' and 'Teen Mom' to air, while Gately is responsible for 'Laguna Beach' and 'The Hills.' [LA Times]

Bret Michaels' new VH1 show, 'Bret Michaels: Life as I Know It,' will premiere on Oct. 18. Instead of dating, the new series will focus on Michaels' home life with his girlfriend, Kristi, and his two daughters, Raine and Jorja. [TV Guide]

Not pleased with Stephen Colbert continuing to embarrass them, politicians are beginning to shun 'The Colbert Report.' Many politicians will not appear on the show anymore. "My experience with that show is like herpes. It never goes away, and it itches and sometimes flares up," said a former aide to a congress member who appeared on the show in 2006. [Politico]

Turner Classic Movies will air a 14-hour marathon of Tony Curtis' movies on Sunday in honor of the late actor. Among the 12 films to be shown will be 'Operation Petticoat,' 'Sweet Smell of Success,' 'Sex and the Single Girl,' 'The Great Race' and 'The Defiant Ones.' [MCN]

'Lone Star' creator Kyle Killen took to his blog to thank everyone involved in the creation of his canceled series. "I'm incredibly grateful that we were given an opportunity to try a premise that, as the numbers seem to confirm, was perhaps a little riskier than I estimated," he wrote. [TV Guide]

Lifetime ordered a pilot for spy drama 'Meet Jane.' The as-yet-uncast show is about a Washington, D.C.-area mother of two who is enlisted by the FBI to spy on her husband. [Deadline]

patpisani

BTW..idiots they're not all Italians.

October 02 2010 at 12:38 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
patpisani

Maccaroni rascals....how racist is that. Oh, I forgot, it's OK to demean Italians.

October 02 2010 at 12:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jim

They tossed these drunkin skanks and their other idiot half out of South Florida and was told don't let the door hit you in the ass.I think they are running out of classless clubs to go to.I have never seen the show because I just can't lower my brain that far.But I do see and here about them and other brainless so called reality shows.

October 02 2010 at 12:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
truthteller

The US owes the whole world a great big apology for foisting crappy non-culture like this garbage, rap music, tv/movie violence, etc. on the rest of the world. Those of us who have a brain and think, are very sorry. But the fact is, the media cater to the lowest common denominator in society, and in the US, that happens to be your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to yadda yadda. In other words, the fault lies in the garbage that washed up on our shores from other countries.

October 02 2010 at 12:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Patty

I married a "Guido" for 32 years (now deceased, sadly) and he, his wonderful family, and friends, were in NO WAY like these characters. Frankly, I wouldn't even sit on the same toilet seat any of them sat on. (Think about that statement!). Oh, and if I were like any one of the female bimboos on there? hah!!!! He wouldn't have married me, much less even gone out with me....

What a piece of garbage, and even having to "dig up" stuff, it seems, to fill the time-slot of when they are on. Let's just say the episode of the personal hygiene issue of, I believe, Angelina, absolutely disgusting. I will never watch that ridiculous show again, not unless my brain shrinks and I have the IQ of a flea.

Thx.

Patty

October 02 2010 at 11:28 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Patty's comment
Mike

If he wasn't like them then he wasn't a "Guido." It's more than being Italian and male.

October 02 2010 at 1:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
JayMo

I think Snooki needs less T and L and a whole lot more G

October 02 2010 at 11:08 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Louis

How sad that trash like this is welcomed by TV viewers. Imagine what that says about our country, our culture, and our values. I honestly fear for for this nation and its future.

October 02 2010 at 10:57 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Barbara

Canada, We're so sorry that New Jersey won't clean up the shore and you were exposed to this ugly, nasty trash. They are embarrassing and shameful and we wish somebody would take that worthless show off the air! Seriously!!!

October 02 2010 at 10:57 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
will

One day these morons will turn 45. Have a family and settle down(I say that as I choke). What's going to happen when their kids are watching old Jersey Shore episodes on dvd of Mom and Dad trying to get laid and/or be layed.

October 02 2010 at 10:57 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply