September 2, 2014

ABC Cancels 'My Generation' After Two Episodes

by Jean Bentley, posted Oct 4th 2010 10:00AM
'My Generation'Well, that didn't last long.

Following Fox's swift execution of the low-rated 'Lone Star' last week, ABC followed suit and gave the axe to its own struggling new series after just two episodes. The network pulled the plug on 'My Generation' Friday night after it failed to bring in viewers during its first two Thursday night airings.

The documentary-style show followed a fictional group of nine friends from an Austin, Texas high school 10 years after graduation, re-visiting the group to see how their lives and relationships have developed in the decade after high school.

After a low-rated premiere, 'My Generation' dropped 31 percent in its second week, with only 3.9 million viewers tuning in for a 1.1 rating, according to The Hollywood Reporter. There's no word yet on what ABC will air in its place. The remaining four episodes are likely to be released either online or in a burn-off time slot, The Wrap reports.

On cancellation death watch now: NBC's Friday night show 'Outlaw,' which earned its third consecutive week of poor ratings (1.0 adults 18-49) according to TV By the Numbers, and ABC's 'Body of Proof' 'The Whole Truth,' with 4.6 million viewers and just a 1.2 rating.

Evan W

My Generation was one of the best social shows I have seen in a long time. Seeing where people go from from highschool on was just a great thing. Tis to whoever thought that it would be a good idea to cancell the show. You cant expect anything to grow after 2 shows. I started spreading the word about it and this is what I get. Very dissapointed in this cancellation and look forward to another channel picking it up... and making big bucks off of this.

October 14 2010 at 8:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
STEPHANIE

Really, after two shows? That seems awfully quick. Maybe a cable network will consider picking it up.

October 06 2010 at 10:56 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Raymond Holder

We really like that show. We've watched both episodes aired. We don't go to our own class reunions (High School or College) with that degree
of regularity. I do suppose though that ABC needs the time to tell us how to vote in the upcoming election. We are seeing how that worked out with the last election.
ABC USED TO BE our favorite network I guess now I'll be forced to watch NBC, CBS, Fox or one of the other 154 channels I've been paying for the last decade, any of you other commentors can join us; But on a
good note I guess ABC ad rates for that time slot will be going down in price since it's based on viewership.

October 04 2010 at 11:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Carole

I really enjoy Outlaw - helps make my Friday night TV watching more interesting. I am so sick of "news" shows and reality shows. I also like the new show with Tom Selleck.

October 04 2010 at 8:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
vicki

The promos didn't interest me enough to even try My Generation. Watched the first episode of Whole Truth the other nite - no great loss there. That's a shame about Lone Star - I was getting into that one. And, altho I've never been a Jimmy Smits fan, I really like Outlaw. I agree that they shouldn't make these decisions after just a couple airings (altho I'm surprised Blue Bloods has made it this far - sorry Tom!).

October 04 2010 at 7:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
nanarina

I am from the older generation...Duh! But I enjoyed the show... Now we will never know what will happen to the punk lady and her soldier husband and her friend the teacher... to the beauty queen who was a bore and the couple with their son Tom... to the attorney and the bq's husband still in love with her...thought it had a nice story line... better than some of these shows...Tired of all these CSI stories and those take off of it...and Law and Order...Duh..enough is enough..what city will be next??? Done with those.

October 04 2010 at 7:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
katydid579

No wonder it was cancelled. How realistic is a show about 9 high school graduates from texass?

October 04 2010 at 7:49 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
M.A.Korman

No loss in my opinion. After watching the first show for about ten minutes I turned it off as it was a waste of my time.

October 04 2010 at 7:40 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
csiblackwell

Two shows about Texas, get the axe in two weeks.
Trend? I hope so.
Years ago this would have spared us "Walker Texas Ranger"

October 04 2010 at 7:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sharon

My Generation was awful! Glad it dot canceled. I hopw they put something good in that time slot. That awful show should never have been a lead in for two great shows.

October 04 2010 at 7:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply