November 22, 2014
TV's Best Video Clips - Updated Daily

Bryan Cranston Gyrates in 'Saturday Night Live' "What Up With That?" Sketch (VIDEO)

by Aimee Deeken, posted Oct 4th 2010 4:45AM
Bryan Cranston Gyrates on 'Saturday Night Live'Oscar winners Morgan Freeman and Ernest Borgnine joined DeAndre Cole (aka Kenan Thompson) as "guests" on Thompson's mock talk-show "What Up With That?"

This time in the recurring 'Saturday Night Live' (Sat., 11:30PM ET on NBC) sketch, Freeman was questioned on education. "I think what our schools lack today is empowerment -- it's the first thing we need," he said, as some drum-kit cymbals started up. "Where it really starts is with a solid family foundation."

"Family foun-da-tion!" Thompson belted out. "It begins in the home, yeah!" The fake host was then joined by his customary backup singers, '80s b-boy dancer Jason Sudeikis and the Kenny G-esque Fred Armisen. Funkadelic duo Doo-Doo Man (host Bryan Cranston) and Squiggy (Jay Pharoah) had a literacy lesson to add to the ditty. Cranston sang, "Put a book in your mouth. Put a book in your pants..." while gyrating in undies and a feather-boa coat. Surely a lesson not soon forgotten.

Linda

Is that supposed to be funny? IT WAS STUPID...SNL is NOTHING like it used to be..its not funny anymore..its absolutley STUPID..GIVE UP already..the show is OVER...pack it in already.

October 04 2010 at 1:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
GMoney

That skit was the biggest waste of time I have seen on that show in a few years. If Kenan wants to sing, let him sing instead of paying out for some of the other lack luster musical guests they have had.

October 04 2010 at 1:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bo

SNL surely lost its sense of humor.....a long,long time ago.

October 04 2010 at 1:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
B

Morgan Freeman was ACTING!! Wow, there are so many DENSE people out there that don't have a CLUE! I bet you guys are all the same people who thought Joaquin Phoenix had gone off the rocker too, huh? Whereas in reality, the whole time he was ACTING. These people are ACTORS! Morgan Freeman was ACTING annoyed b/c that is the character that he was portraying on the "talk show" on SNL.

I agree that SNL has TOTALLY gone downhill, and it's not even funny anymore most of the time (except when Betty White was the host), but that doesn't mean Morgan Freeman was annoyed or embarrassed or whatever about being on the show. He knew what was going to happen and he was merely playing a role.

October 04 2010 at 1:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Carole

I haven't watched SNL in years. It's gone from bad to worse. I remember the good old ones with Steve Martin, Gilda Radner, Dan Akroyd, etc. (and even Mr. Bill) Those shows were great, not stupid and silly like these.

October 04 2010 at 12:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Marilynn

SNL was not only insulting, but not at all funny.
On the other hand, Morgan Freeman should have known he was on a comedy show with no scruples.

October 04 2010 at 12:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
orlando

of course he's acting....at times you can kinda tell he's looking at the q card. He did the annoyance so well that people thought he wasn't acting. Thats how great of an actor he is. Thats why he's "Morgan Freeman".

October 04 2010 at 12:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
aleighcat

Oh, please -- anything done on a comedy show is not to be taken seriously or literally. Get the stick out of your arses, already. If you don't like this show, turn the channel. Granted, I think that SNL has seriously gone downhill and desperately needs new writers, but it can still make me laugh occasionally. I miss Amy Pohler, Molly Shannon, Sheri O'Teri, and Will Ferrel. The only one that I really like to watch on it now is Kristen Wiig/Weig (I think that's her name - can't remember how to spell it, sorry). She is *hilarious*. She always cracks me up, no matter what character she's playing.

October 04 2010 at 12:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Della Beiser

When SNL is good, it's GREAT. I'm a fan of decades. But, when it's bad, it's time to switch channels, and i do!!!! The WORST of this skit was it was 'way-too-long. That happens with SNL. Taking it too far, for too long. It becomes NOT funny. BUT it's adult entertainment. As i do, switch channels, try again next week. Repeat, when they get it right, it's great. WHERE'S THAT REMOTE?

October 04 2010 at 12:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Elaine

I always watch SNL and if the skits are not funny I just fast forward and watch the good skits. I still get a kick out of some of their work and they are all talent people on that show. I think Morgan was just playing his part.

October 04 2010 at 12:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply