November 27, 2014

Will 'Deadliest Catch' Trio Rejoin the Show?

by Jean Bentley, posted Oct 5th 2010 11:00AM
'Deadliest Catch'Last week, Sig Hansen announced he would join colleagues Andy and Johnathan Hillstrand and not participate in the next season of Discovery Channel's 'Deadliest Catch.' But now that king crab season is almost upon us, it appears the trio could possibly be in talks to rejoin the show -- at least according to The Hollywood Reporter.

The three crab fishermen decided not to participate in the upcoming season of 'Deadliest Catch' because Discovery is suing the Hillstrand brothers for not completing work on a spinoff show they reportedly agreed to film. The Hillstrands alleged that the $3 million lawsuit would force them to sell their boats. Hansen dropped out of 'Deadliest Catch' to show his support for the brothers.

But THR reports that the silence about the Hillstrands and Hansen in Discovery's press release yesterday about the new season could mean that the trio are in negotiations to return to the show. Filming is set to begin next week, and the boats need to set sail by Oct. 15 to take advantage of king crab season. It would benefit Discovery for the men to return, since casting changes could endanger the record ratings the show posted in season 6.

Josh and Jake Harris are set to return to the show as deckhands on the Cornelia Marie following the death of their father, Capt. Phil Harris, last season. "Our dad made a tremendous connection with so many fans, and it is such a fitting tribute to his life that we, his sons, can remain fishing on the boat that he skippered for so many years," the Harris brothers said in a statement from the network.

Should Hansen and the Hillstrands return to the show? Are you glad to hear they might be working things out?

Debra

I agree with amboo1979. I love this show and felt that each Captain was like a brother or cousin. I hope they come back because I really miss them. I will never forget Captain Phil and loved his personality.

January 18 2011 at 12:31 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
amboo1979

Although I can't stand what the Discovery channel did...their greed is reprehensible and like another person commented, Discovery's pettiness is unbelievable, BUT I will continue to watch the show ONLY because Sig, John, and Andy are coming back. My concern is for the captains and the guys who work for them. So I will watch in support of the fisherman, not Discovery. I've been invested in the guys for several years now and I want to know how they are doing as long as they are kind enough to let the public and their fans share in their lives.

November 08 2010 at 5:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
GrissomLover

I smell a publicity stunt!

October 07 2010 at 10:42 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Marion

Boycott teh show no matter whos on it Discovery should not be allowed to do as they like I dont care they only get in the way of the real workers on the ships and have no back bone

October 06 2010 at 11:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
wulfn1

Seriously doubtful I will watch again. Discovery's greed and pettiness has put me off of the show.
I love seeing the captains and crews and despite Phil's death, would have continued watching, as that is the true reality of fishing the Bering Sea, but Discovery's lack of appropriate behavior(lawsuits, taking over fansites , causing problems on boats from past seasons and portraying things in such a way that whole boat companies pulled their coverage due to their twisting of the story ) is beyond the pale.

October 06 2010 at 10:28 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
zeesmuse

I hope they do return. With Phil's death most of the fans don't feel the show can afford to lose three more captains - especially such popular ones and ones with issues left dangling. Granted we want to see how the Harris boys cope with the loss of their father and attempting to move on, however the fans also have a vested interest in the Hillstrands - will they find a relief skipper now that both Johnathan and Andy are wanting to spend less time on the boat. Will Scotty take his rightful place or will Mike? Will he continue to put up with the blatant disrespect from his fellow crewmates, will he earn the respect or will he simply go get a boat of his own? What's going to happen with Edgar? He's hurting, will he train jake to be deck boss or will someone fill his huge shoes? Will Sig talk him into getting his captain's license and will he take Opileo off? How is Jake going to respond to all the craziness in his personal life?

It was better than The World Turns - male soap opera at its best and we don't want to be left hanging.

October 05 2010 at 12:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply