April 24, 2014
TV's Best Video Clips - Updated Daily

Losing a Baby (and the Audience) on 'Raising Hope' (VIDEO)

by Oliver Miller, posted Oct 6th 2010 1:24AM
Losing a Baby (and the Audience) on 'Raising Hope''Raising Hope' follows the adventures of the Chance family -- specifically, Mr. Jimmy Chance (Lucas Neff), who must raise an infant daughter with the aid of his pretty useless relatives. As we may have mentioned before, we here at 'TV Squad' have some issues with this particular sitcom. And the latest episode (Tue., 9PM ET on Fox) didn't do much to raise our "hopes."

The thing about 'Raising Hope' is that every episode has the same premise. Although the Chances are supposed to take care of baby Hope, they're actually really bad at it! Guffaws and chuckles are the intended result. But everything is pitched a little too broadly for our taste.

[Warning: Spoiler alert.]

On the new episode, Baby Hope learns to crawl, then promptly gets trapped in the storage shed. Jimmy and his parents (played by Martha Plimpton and Garret Dillahunt) attempt to rescue Hope. But -- you guessed it -- they're actually really bad at doing this! Due to their problems with hoarding, gambling and overall stupidity, the family can't help their littlest one.

It's an odd show. 'Raising Hope' sometimes wants to go with "heartwarming" -- but more often, it seems content to mock its own characters. The actors on the series are all very skilled. Still, it's hard to root for the Chance family, when they're repeatedly shown to be uncaring, self-absorbed ... jerks. It's not that the show is offensive; it's that it's implausible. No actual family would be so unconcerned about continually putting a child's life in danger. But this constitutes the main "joke" of the show.

Or are we being too hard on it? Are you a secret 'Raising Hope' fan? Speak up and let us know!

BettyBlood

I love this show, I think that we need to remind the idiot who worte this review that this is just a TV show, it's people like you who ruin great things (like Raising Hope) for everyone. Don't be a douch bag... this show is the highlight of my Tuesday (other then Glee >_

December 04 2010 at 1:12 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
JT

Maybe I'm watching the show differently, having an 8-month old infant at home. Much like My Name is Earl before it, Raising Hope has an peculiar sense of humor which some like and some don't. I've enjoyed the first 3 episodes, hopefully they can keep it fresh for a season or two.

October 06 2010 at 2:49 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Frank

They ARE criminally under-using Cloris Leachman though.

October 06 2010 at 2:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Frank

I'm really liking this show, it's probably the best new sitcom out there (Although not much competition... Bleep My Dad Says? Better with You? Mike & Molly?)

I'm pretty sure you're just not getting it. The point is that they're NOT actually the self-absorbed, jerks that they would initially seem to be. In their own, dysfunctional way, they care for the baby and each other, and you'd like to feel that it will work out for them.

It's alot like Malcolm in the Middle. Crazy family, mildly abusive, but at the end of the day, they all get together and you see that they are a genuine family in their own way.

I feel like the people that don't like this are too busy judging these people for not meeting the standards of their world, that they can't appreciate the struggles of people in a different situation. As if everyone should be measured by their meter stick.

October 06 2010 at 2:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kristen

I am really enjoying this show. Is it a bit implausible? Sure, but that's part of what makes it funny (instead of repulsive).

I think the actors interact well with each other, and I have been looking forward to this show each week.

I am disappointed that the criticism in the article was unsupported: you say it's losing it's audience, but it seems like it's only the post author(s) the show has lost, not the majority of actual viewers who have responded here. If you are going to make a statement like that, back it up with numbers.

October 06 2010 at 2:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sonburn

This show is fantastic and the biggest surprise for me this season, like Modern Family was last. I think you are being way too hard on it.

I felt that this weeks episode was actually the weakest of the three so far, but it finished stronger than it started.

The writing is solid, and the characters are nicely developed... formula for success. Of course that formula didn't work so well for Arrested Development, cause you still need viewers.

October 06 2010 at 12:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Clearlylosingit

The pilot was ok, but the two succeeding episodes have been very good. The show will have to broaden its premise to substain any qaulity. But as of now, it's easily the best new comedy of the season.

October 06 2010 at 10:47 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Will

Not secret. I've enjoyed all 3 episodes

October 06 2010 at 10:31 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
wulfn1

the pilot kind of repulsed me but I gave it a chance to clean up it's act a bit, and it has.

Strangely enough there really ARE people out there who go through life so self absorbed and out of touch with reality they could neglect a child. So it isn't such a stretch to believe the grandparents could be that obtuse.

Its funny in a sad kind of way to watch the son teach the family how to care for a child, and you see glimpses of love for each other in the flash backs to earlier times.
I would like to see mawmaw take a more active part in the show, maybe an occasional lucid moment with the baby or something, but other than that it's a funny show to watch when you've had a busy day and don't want to think too much.

October 06 2010 at 9:32 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Reblechka

I thought this show was absolutely horrid - I only made it about halfway through the pilot. I just do not think mistreating an infant the way this family does is funny in the least, and I thought all the characters were wretched people that I cannot care about.

October 06 2010 at 9:28 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply