October 20, 2014

Farewell, Discovery Kids Network ... Say Hello to The Hub

by Kim Potts, posted Oct 7th 2010 1:00PM
Family Game Night
What's the hubbub with The Hub, Bub? It's the new kids TV network that will occupy the airwaves previously devoted to the Discovery Kids network.

The Hub, a joint project by Discovery Communications and toy and game company Hasbro, launches on Oct. 10 (yes, 10/10/10 at 6AM ET) in 60 million homes, and is best described as Nickelodeon-meets-TV Land.

The network will roll out nearly a dozen new series aimed at kiddies, along with a mix of family-friendly existing shows that includes 'Meerkat Manor,' 'Doogie Howser, M.D.,' 'The Wonder Years,' 'Happy Days' and 'Laverne & Shirley.'

And even some of the new shows will feature characters familiar to kids and adults, including 'The Adventures of Chuck and Friends' (that's Chuck of "the Talking Truck" fame), 'My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic,' 'Pound Puppies' and 'Transformers Prime.'

The Hub President and CEO Margaret Loesch, an Emmy and Peabody Award winner who's helped steer classic cartoons like 'Scooby-Doo,' 'Smurfs,' 'Transformers,' 'G.I. Joe' and 'Muppet Babies,' says the new network is about programming that's compelling for the whole fam.

"The Hub is a playful, transformative world that brings kids and families together, powered by clever stories and engaging characters," says Loesch, who also launched the Hallmark Channel in 2001 as its founding CEO.

Meerkat ManorIn addition to all The Hub's 'toons and retro sitcoms, Loesch has also planned a group of live-action series that will pepper the line-up:

- 'Family Game Night,' hosted by E! alum Todd Newton, features Hasbro games come to life, with families competing in life-size versions of Yahtzee (via Yahtzee Bowling), Bop-It, Connect 4 and Cranium;

- 'Clue,' also based on the classic Hasbro board game (which has already been adapted as a movie), with a cast of Disney/Nick-ish young stars who'll work together to solve mysteries;

- 'Pictureka,' another adaptation of a another Hasbro game;

- 'Hubworld' is a weekly pop culture news magazine hosted by actor/comedian/magician Justin Willman, best known as the host of Food Network's 'Cupcake Wars'; and

- 'R.L. Stine's The Haunting Hour,' a live-action anthology series based on the works of the beloved kiddie horror story author.

Though it is a kid-focused network, The Hub will also be packed with plenty of adult-friendly celebs:

- Everybody's favorite superstar -- Betty White, of course -- will provide voicework on 'Pound Puppies,' as will Will, a.k.a. 'Will & Grace' star Eric McCormack;

Family Ties- Animation voice legends Peter Cullen and Frank Welker, from the original 1980s 'Transformers' 'toon, will also provide voice work for the 'Transformers Prime' series;

- 'Hubworld' will include celebrity coverage like, in a clip shown to media members at a Hub preview event last month, Jason Mraz watching and singing along with the YouTube.com hit video -- it's been viewed more than 27 million times -- of "Ukulele Boy" performing Mraz' infectious 'I'm Yours';

- And, in a nice nod to the fact that the '80s classic family sitcom 'Family Ties' will air on The Hub and introduce a whole new generation to the genius of comedic timing that was Michael J. Fox as Alex P. Keaton, 'Ties' parents Meredith Baxter and Michael Gross will provide voices for 'Dan Vs.,' an animated comedy about Dan ('Revenge of the Nerds' star Curtis Armstrong), a guy who's mad as heck that (he thinks) the world is out to get him. 'Kids in the Hall' and 'NewsRadio' funny guy Dave Foley provides the voice of Dan's BFF, Chris.

For a breakdown of The Hub schedule, as well as the complete line-up of new shows and video previews, check out Hubworld.com.

Frannyx3

i want Flight 29 Down and Saddle Club back!!!

January 02 2013 at 5:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ccassidy77

My kids loved the educational programming on Discovery Kids. They hate the Hub. The Hub is just more mind-numbing reruns and commercial-programming aimed at selling Hasbro toys. It's awful. The kids complain everyday that they've lost their Discovery Kids channel. Another terrible board room move that neglects the importance of providing enjoyable educational content in favor of generating easy profits by creating a generation of zombie children brainwashed into wanting to buy the toys they see on TV. HATE THE HUB!

June 10 2011 at 7:47 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Cj Jones

I think that Discovery Kids should have a different channel, while the Hub has a different one. Just because a channel didn't have the expected views, doesn't mean that it wasn't popular. I've watched DK ever since I was born, but now the HUB!??!?! Who gives a crap Discovery! I sure dont! :/

March 31 2011 at 10:46 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Katrina (Niki)

STUPID HUB!!!! CRAP YOU!!!

I miss Grossology and Mystery Hunters! Why the f*** did you have to take them away from me! At least Grossology still airs....AT A F***ING 4:00 AM!!!!

Seriously??? Stop acting all s***ty and bring back ALL of the DK originals!

IN FACT, BRING BACK THE ENTIRE DISCOVERY KIDS CHANNEL!!!!

(And this is coming from a preteen, you stupid mutha f***ers! You can really see how p***ed off I am right now.)

January 02 2011 at 9:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
natasha

im really disappointed with switch. i enjoyed discovery kids and hope that they bring some of the shows back. my children really enjoyed the hip hop harry show that would come on. i would also record it for them. please bring this show back

December 16 2010 at 4:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Irieklink

This "new" station is a cross between Cartoon network and nick at night, with a lot of infomercials about hasbro games.

What a shame.
DK was full of great shows my daughters liked to watch: Bindi, Grossology, Growing up Creepie, Mystery hunters etc.

This hub is a station for adults who were kids in the 80's (one of many).

The hub sorely lacks the educational value of DK.

Maybe we need an update of the Nielsen ratings system. I know there are plenty of people who watch tv stations and shows that are not being counted, a very small sampling of the population is controlling what the rest of us get to see.
My family participated in Nielsen for 2 years. We were told we represented 26,000 people, really a city girl from Chicago determined ratings for an entire region of rural Washington state.

All the other channels brought up here as being educational are not for children. Especially not for children is the history (hysteria) channel, unless I want to scare the tar out of them with end of days and exploding Yellowstone mumbo jumbo.

November 02 2010 at 7:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lp

Big mistake What happened to all the great shows on DK?
Hub SUCKS!!
I hope it goes down in history as a big mistake and Discovery Kids makes a comeback because I and my children and friends kids really miss it.. Wow crazy mistake!

October 27 2010 at 12:52 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jessica McGary

I believe this is the worst decision yet. I loved Discovery Kids, my daughter would actually LEARN from those cartoons. I had no guilt with letting her watch TV because she would always come and tell me something that she had learned from them. Think about it, how often does that happen and do you believe they will learn anything from Transformers or My Little Pony? I don't think so. Does anyone know if any of the Discovery Kids shows are going to be picked up on another station? This is such an awful thing to do to kids and parents. I'm so disappointed as well as my child.

October 10 2010 at 10:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
3 replies to Jessica McGary's comment
Val

This Station is going to be great starting out!

Fraggle Rock, Transformers: Prime, G.I. Joe: Renegades, G.I. Joe, Batman Beyond, Transformers, The Wonder Years

That is a pretty strong line up for Adults that are kids at heart. I think they will do well.

October 07 2010 at 6:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Val's comment
Jessica McGary

Great they are taking a station that was dedicated to science and history for kids to shows like the Wonder Years where they will now be learning about young puppy love. This Sucks!

October 10 2010 at 10:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
countyguy315

I can't wait for Sunday when this starts airing. It's like a dream come true for a guy like me who always wanted to see something close to the way Nickelodeon & Disney Channel used to be: watchable.

October 07 2010 at 5:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to countyguy315's comment
Jessica McGary

Have you ever watched Discovery Kids? Grossology, Growing up Creepie or Mystery Hunters? They are all very WATCHABLE and you could learn something from them too; unlike in Disney where they just recently quit showing cartoon characters smoking cigars, acting drunk and playing with guns. They still try to kill themselves though and others I do believe. Wow we can learn so much from that.

October 10 2010 at 10:17 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Jessica McGary's comment
Cj Jones

I always liked how DK ACTUALLY made learning fun. It needs to brought back!

March 31 2011 at 10:48 AM Report abuse rate up rate down