September 20, 2014

Is 'Outlaw' About to Be Canceled?

by Catherine Lawson, posted Oct 7th 2010 8:25AM
Jimmy SmitsIt looks like it could be pink slip season already at struggling legal drama 'Outlaw': It's been reported that production on the show was stopped Wednesday.

There were reports earlier this week that the show was on shaky ground as NBC looked hard at its primetime lineup in the face of lackluster ratings. But, according to deadline.com, the show is now the first this season to be officially put on "production hiatus," which usually means it's time for all involved to start looking for a new job.

However, it is possible that the show could still win a reprieve. NBC plans to air the five new episodes already completed, and should ratings rise over the next two or three episdoes then production could resume.

Two new shows -- Fox's 'Lone Star' and ABC's 'My Generation' -- have already been canceled.

'Outlaw,' starring Jimmy Smits as a U.S. Supreme Court justice who quits the nation's highest court to open his own law firm, drew 10.7 million viewers for its sneak preview. But once the drama moved from Wednesday night to Friday, ratings collapsed to 5 million.

If 'Outlaw' doesn't return, NBC may consider moving the poorly performing 'The Apprentice' to Fridays at 10PM ET to make room for 'Law & Order: Los Angeles' on Thursdays at 10PM ET.

Stay tuned for further updates.

chris saroli

I think it was one of the best shows on TV It showed how screwed up our systom is. It showed that these Juges that we vote in dont show any compasion for the truth ann thats why so many people are in prison just becaus some DA wants to have a good record so they can run for public office. Its all about the Perks.

October 11 2010 at 6:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kaye

I really like "Outlaw" with Jimmy Smits. But NBC needs to move it to another night. If NBC does decide to cancel it, I certainly hope another network will pick it up. I mostly watch TNT, A&E, USA, or BRAVO most of the time. I would be glad to watch "Outlaw" on any other network. Good luck to "Outlaw" and to Jimmy.

October 11 2010 at 5:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Michael

When is NBC going to Cancel The Wednesday Night 7PM CST Timeslot show about a husband and a wife, that show puts me to sleep. I watched it 2 weeks ago, and my god that was the longest hour in televison, this week I only saw 15 minutes and man it was at least an hour in length, that show is too boring. The same goes with Law and Order Los Angeles, I love the orginal, SVU, and CI, but the LA version is about as bad as the married couple FBI or CIA agents. The Event I stopped recording at episode 1. I love "Chase". I also have never seen the Jimmy SMits show. Please CANCEL the married couple on Wednesday Night they are too boring for TV.

October 08 2010 at 2:21 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
laurie

Take the hint NBC and Jeff Zucker!Read the online petitions and bring back MERCY!!(you left us with an awesome cliffhanger on that show)

October 08 2010 at 12:28 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Patricia Seay

If NBC, ABC, FOX and CBS would get rid of those boring, limited, reality shows and get back to producing good, interesting, twist of fate shows and movies, people may just come back to TV and leave the PC alone! Pay attention networks....TV on Monday, Tuesday and a good part of Wednesday was nothing more than reality shows, that I turned the TV to PBS and watched cartoons! Geez.

October 07 2010 at 8:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
SALLY

YOU ARE RIGHT ON,. TOO MANY GOOD SHOWS ON THE SAME TIME AND EARLIER OR OTHER NIGHTS THERE IS NOTHING. CHECK OUT MY COMMENT FROM SALLY

October 07 2010 at 8:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
SALLY

AS A shareholder NBC amazes me., Example Wednesday night I have to choose to watch Criminal Minds or Law & Order., WILL NEVER UNDERSTAND WHY 2 GOOD SHOWS ARE ON THE SAME TIME WHEN AS AN EXAMPLE SATURDAY THERE IS JUNK ON TV. NOW YOU WANT TO CANCEL OUTLAW WAIT A WHILE YOUR DECISION IS TOO SOON. YOU COULD CHANGE THE NAME OF THE SHOW. OUTLAW DOES NOT FIT (THE DEFENDER WOULD BE A BETTER NAME. TOO MANY GOOD SHOWS ARE BEING CANCELED HE WAS IN CANE ON CBS GREAT SHOW ALSO CANCELLED. GE STOCK IS SINKING MAYBE WE SHOULD SELL NBC..YOU CAN'T BLAME THIS ONE ON JEFF.....

October 07 2010 at 8:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Our Gordian Knot

Can't say I'm sorry to see it go. We have enough legal dramas on network tv. The only thing that's even more unwatchable is that reality show tripe and I know I'm not the only one who feels this way. I watch the big 4 maybe once or twice a week now, having been driven away by the glut of unoriginal drama spinoffs(do we really need 5 versions of the same damned show just in a different city???), zombie shows (dead shows revived so the network can ruin them all over again, i.e. Hawaii Five-o") and those poorly scripted "reality" fiascos they push on those of us with still functioning grey matter as entertainment. Seriously, let's be honest here, the networks are full of unimaginative twerps who have nothing but bland, beaten-to-death ideas so is there any wonder why their competition in cable is getting ever increasing numbers while their own ratings are being eaten away? I can only hope they'll open their eyes, hire good fresh blood and actually put money into making good original shows while allowing those shows that are indeed original and have great writing a chance to prove themselves (Flash Forward's a good example.)

October 07 2010 at 7:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
emq524

Hey ... here's an idea ... how about Jimmy Smits on Law and Order? He is wonderful but has yet to find the right show. Law and Order L.A. sucks so maybe it could be better with the great Mr. Smits! As a long time faithful viewer of Law and Order ... what were they thinking by canceling the New York version and then giving us lame and not very likable actors on the left coast???

October 07 2010 at 7:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Rosebud

I am sorry for Jimmy Smits. This is second flop since NYPD Blue ,but the show is really dumb!

October 07 2010 at 7:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply