November 20, 2014

'The Big Bang Theory' Season 4, Episode 3 Recap

by Donald Deane, posted Oct 8th 2010 1:20AM
['The Big Bang Theory' - 'The Zazzy Substitution']

We're three episodes into season 4 of 'The Big Bang Theory' and the show continues to focus on the antics of nerdy theoretical physicist Sheldon. On tonight's episode, Sheldon breaks up with Amy, then grows lonely and uses cats as a way to fill his emotional void.

Sheldon's neurotic, self-obsessed hi-jinks are usually amusing. But, this time, they were lacking in laughs. Part of the problem is with Amy, who, frankly, we're tiring of as a character. She's completely humorless, lacks Sheldon's dry wit and instead just seems perpetually peeved. ("I don't like that! Don't do that!" Amy snapped, after Penny dared to refer to the couple as "Shamy.") Witness the group attempting to make small talk when dour Amy joins them for lunch:

Leonard: So, this is nice. First time we've all gotten together to eat.
Amy (to Sheldon): You're right. He's a festival of humdrum chitchat.
Leonard: Okay, that's all I got. Howard, you're up.
Wolowitz: Um, tell us about your work, Amy.
Amy: I doubt you'd understand. Sheldon tells me you only have a master's degree.
Wolowitz: Raj, do you have any questions for Amy?
(Raj puffs out his cheeks and shakes his head.)

Typically, Sheldon decides to break up with Amy after they get into an argument over the validity of each other's work. Sheldon then turns into a crazy cat person after he starts to miss Amy, filling the apartment with felines and requiring an intervention from his mother, who intentionally disapproves of Amy and drives the two back together.

The episode's funniest moments actually came when Amy wasn't involved. Take, for example, a conversation between the gang over lunch:

Leonard: Did you guys see the paper in the American Physics Journal on supersolids? It's pretty interesting. This guy's working from a hypothesis which ...
Raj: Spoiler alert! Spoiler alert!
Leonard: What?
Raj: Don't ruin it for me, man! I printed out a PDF to read on the potty.

Meanwhile, Sheldon creates a new buzz word -- "Zazzy" -- which is only mildly amusing compared to his trademark exclamation of 'Bazinga!" If the show's writers want a new catchword to rival this, they'll need to keep looking. And, please, give us less Amy.

Other Funny Moments:

During lunch with the gang, Amy asks, "I'm curious as to why we're not eating alone." Sheldon: "They can't function without me. I'm the social glue that holds this little group together."

Raj accuses Penny of taking "bitchy pills" after she refuses to fetch him a beer. Penny: "God, he's an ass when he drinks." Wolowitz: "Well, he's an ass when he doesn't. You just don't hear it."

Leonard attempts to convince Sheldon he misses Amy and that he's trying to replace her with "a bunch of cats," to which Sheldon responds, "Clowder." Leonard: "What?" Sheldon: "A group of cats is a clowder, or a glaring. That's the kind of thing you ought to know now that we have one."

'The Big Bang Theory' airs Thursdays at 8PM ET on CBS.

Jan Crump

It's ok this season, funny in spots, but not as good as in the past. I agree - too much Sheldon week after week! He's great, WITH the others. The whole show by himself and his paranoidness, is not as good. And with Penny out for recuperation from the broken leg, I'm sure we're gonna get more Amy and Sheldon to fill in.

October 11 2010 at 8:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
arieljackson

i've never thought i would say that, but seeing sheldon together with amy really gives me hell. One Sheldon Cooper is funny, chlidish and sexy, but two Sheldon Coopers is boring and annoying. Amy is like some kind of outspace stranger, who suddenly came in and break the TBBT family.

I always thought Sheldon will be with someone who is cute and interesting, who might be weird but adorable. Someone who makes Sheldon compromised for no reason.

At first i think that when Sheldon felt sth, he will be cute and try to use theory to solve problems. But now.....

Amy, i am sorry, but as what JOEY from FRIENDS will say, if you wanna be in TV, you have to look more attractive. Thank God everybody hates her and Sheldon say AMY is not a girlfriend.

October 09 2010 at 5:08 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mark

My question is this: How did they get all those cats to more or less stay in one place? There's a reason they have the term "it's like herding cats."

(and don't tell me they're trained cats... anyone who has had to work with "trained" animals on a tv show or movie knows that the difference between a trained animal and an untrained one is that the trained animal might eventually do something like what it was supposed to do... maybe)

October 08 2010 at 4:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lake Erie Lady

What happened to the REAL Big Bang Theory show? You know, the funny one.

So far they've just re-cycled old ideas that once got laughs. Sheldon's mom, Soft Kitty, foreigner Raj, blah blah blah. Why can't they make Amy funny? Like Bernadette was! It's just sad now.

October 08 2010 at 1:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Brett Alan

For some reason, I found Sheldon's mother's line about how if she had told her brother Stumpy not to clear out the woodchipper, they'd still be calling him Edward really funny.

October 08 2010 at 1:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
purpleslog

BBT w/ ensemble cast = fun and funny

BBT as The Sheldon and Friends Show = Yawn|Unfunny|Boring

October 08 2010 at 9:59 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to purpleslog's comment
sati

I don´t like this new sesson! They are changing the characters and the topics!

October 08 2010 at 11:18 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sugargal

I liked this episode and I don't mind Amy (maybe because I'm channeling Blossom) but the one thing that bugged me was that when Leonard wanted a cat to get over loneliness, he was considering a hypoallergenic one due to Sheldon's asthma....I'm pretty sure he wasn't cured of that.

October 08 2010 at 9:39 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
dkaarma

My problem with this whole episode was that it clearly states in the 'Roomate Agreement' that "Pets are banned under the roommate agreement, with the exception of service animals like cybernetically-enhanced helper monkeys"

October 08 2010 at 3:12 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to dkaarma's comment
wulfn1

I had a hard time accepting Sheldon would turn to cats (indoor cats at that) knowing his aversion to touching and uncleanliness. While cats seem to be clean, they turn their surroundings into a smelly cesspit which his mother is assaulted with when she walks into his room.

October 08 2010 at 8:35 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply