November 22, 2014

EXCLUSIVE VIDEO: On the Set with 'Supernatural' Director Jensen Ackles

by Maureen Ryan, posted Oct 11th 2010 10:45AM
Jensen Ackles, Supernatural'Supernatural' took a chance on a rookie director for its Oct. 15 episode, 'Weekend at Bobby's' -- star Jensen Ackles (a.k.a. Dean Winchester) helmed the episode.

In the exclusive clip below, get your first look at Ackles behind the camera and on set during his first directing experience. His co-star, Jared Padalecki (who plays Sam Winchester), talks about what it was like to have Ackles behind the camera, and Jim Beaver (Bobby Singer) and Mark Sheppard (Crowley) also offer their 2 cents on the actor's turn in the director's chair.

A couple of quick notes before we get to the video: First, I'm reviewing 'Supernatural' every week, and my thoughts on the first three episodes of season 6 are here, here and here.

Second, the clip below is a part of a longer behind-the-scenes segment on the making of 'Weekend at Bobby's.' The extended version of what's below will be on the Season 6 'Supernatural' DVD set when that comes out next year.

Enjoy!

Wendy

Thanks Mo, that was a real treat to see behind-the-scenes! The crew on this show looks like they really know what they are doing and have a good time working together.

I would expect that since JA has been in every episode of the show, he'll bring some really cool tricks to how he filmed his episode. (I know I'll be looking for the Kim Manners' influences when I watch.)

October 12 2010 at 10:05 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sara

This is wonderful! Thanks so much for sharing this. I'm usually a mixture of excited and nervous (okay, really nervous) about a new episode but I'm feeling nothing but excitement about this one. I think it's going to be fabulous! Can't wait.

October 11 2010 at 7:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Angela

Jensen directing is going to be great!! I'm looking forward to it! I just started a Facebook Fanpage for the show and it's called Supernatural Underground and this is your#1 spot for all things Winchester from video clips to all the latest pics,stop by and hit the like button and some fun!

October 11 2010 at 3:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
sweetondean

Wow. This was awesome! I've been so spoiler free this season but nothing was going to stop me watching this (at 6am in the morning I might add). I do hope he does the commentary on this ep for the DVD release. Thanks so much for posting. I'm loving season 6 and loving your reviews as always.

October 11 2010 at 3:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
cassi

Wow, that's awesome. I can't wait to see the longer version on dvd next years. :D
Thanks Mo!

October 11 2010 at 3:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kimmer

That's awesome, Mo! Thanks so much!!!

October 11 2010 at 1:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Pam

Wow, thanks for that, Mo! What a treat - I can't wait to see this episode on Friday. Congrats, Jensen!

October 11 2010 at 1:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lauryn

That just made my day, thank you so much for sharing! I can't wait to see the extended version!

October 11 2010 at 12:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
debbield

Thanks, Mo, for your fabulous reviews and now this wonderful video! Can't wait to see this episode and to see the rest of the video on the Season 6 DVDs!

October 11 2010 at 11:59 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mary (Bardicvoice)

This is BRILLIANT, Mo - thank you! I am so stoked to see this episode and I desperately want to hear all the insights from the folk who worked on it about how it came together; here's hoping we get commentary on the episode when it goes to DVD as well as the rest of this delicious behind-the-scenes feature! And I hope someone asks Jensen whether he approaches acting at all differently now that he's also worn the director's hat ...

October 11 2010 at 11:22 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply