July 30, 2014

Why You Need to Watch 'The Whole Truth'

by Chris Harnick, posted Oct 13th 2010 2:30PM
The Whole Truth
Why should you be watching 'The Whole Truth'? Two words: Maura Tierney.

Yes, the former 'NewsRadio' and 'ER' star Maura Tierney should be enough to get you, loyal reader, to give up an hour of your Wednesday evening to watch 'The Whole Truth' (Wed., 10PM ET on ABC). She's not enough? Fine. What about Tierney's chemistry with Rob Morrow?

Honestly, you could probably put a jar of pickles in front of her and Tierney could make it charming, but when you put her with somebody as charismatic as Morrow, it's TV heaven.

Sure, there are problems with the ABC legal drama. Example: the same defense attorney and prosecutor face off every week. But wait, you probably watch a show where kids break out into song every 10 minutes. This is television -- suspend your disbelief and enjoy the ride.

Right now, 'The Whole Truth' is teetering on the edge of cancellation. ABC is airing a special on the rescued Chilean miners in place of a new episode tonight. It's pulling in around 4.5 million viewers, losing nearly 3 million from its lead-in 'Cougar Town.' For ABC, those are bad numbers. But given time, the series could evolve -- maybe ditch the kitschy little flashbacks to scenes that happened 15 minutes before. However, before it can evolve, it needs viewers.

If you don't start watching 'The Whole Truth,' we might be lose potentially great characters Kathryn Peale and Jimmy Brogan. You know how 'Law & Order: SVU' has maintained its procedural element, yet we've seen layers develop in Detectives Benson and Stabler? 'The Whole Truth' could do that and more. The characters have a history, let the viewers learn about it. Plus, the supporting players are begging for some background. You know there's more to Sean Wing's incredibly earnest Chad.

The problem with new shows, as we've talked about here on TV Squad, is that sometimes it's cheaper to cancel them rather than let the show build an audience. 'Seinfeld' wasn't a hit from the start. It took seasons -- yes, more than one -- to get to its cult status.

The ratings for the Oct. 6 episode showed a tiny bit of life, they went up a bit, but not enough. Give the show time to evolve, there is a spark in these characters. Plus, given the format, there are tons of opportunities for guest stars. Great guest stars. Judd Hirsch's appearance was quality TV. Tierney's 'ER' pal Parminder Nagra is filming an episode now.

If you love smart character moments, great chemistry between actors and the law in general, then start watching 'The Whole Truth.' Start now.

For more passionate TV pleas, follow @ChrisHarnick on Twitter.

JLK

The show is outstanding! I love it!
BTW, iLike the flashbacks. I think it would be interesting to see flashbacks all the way back to their days in law school.

October 20 2010 at 7:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jenny

Loving this show!! So excited to see Maura back on TV and Rob is back in his Northern Exposure groove. Hopefully ABC will give it a fighting chance...

October 19 2010 at 10:11 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lakia

I am amazed at how much I like this show. I am a 20 year old student that is really interested in law so watching this show as well as L&O:SVU fuels me. I would hate to see this show get cancelled because it's fabulous!! Let's get the ratings up so everyone should tune in. It's a new take on law opposed to what we are seeing all the time and it's well crafted with showing both points of view. Please don't cancel.

October 18 2010 at 11:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ck

I have watched this from the start & LOVE it! Rob Morrow has been one of my favorites and I would watch this just to see him. It is pure bonus that the show is terrific!

October 18 2010 at 9:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Myshiloh

I've always enjoyed both Tierney and Morrow and I was in my chair waiting for the first episode of The Whole Truth. I've not missed one (will miss tomorrow night due to roof replacement and satellite dish removal but will hopefully catch online later.) I like this show, the actors, the premise, the way it's designed and I don't even mind the flashbacks. But as often happens, this new show hasn't really had great advertising or at least didn't have enough early on before new shows started airing. I've talked a few people into trying it and they simply didn't know it existed but, like me, were willing to watch because of either Tierney or Morrow or both. It's a good show and because major networks too easily give up on good shows that aren't kitchy or corney or sexual in nature, I expect this one will be gone too soon as was the case with Eli Stone, among others that weren't given sufficient early buildup. Until it's gone, I'll be watching.

October 18 2010 at 9:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Fivestar58

Great show!! Love the ending with the truth being told. Best new program on Wednesday's.

October 18 2010 at 7:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
georgie

This is one of the best drama's on television. I never miss an episode, it's that good.

October 18 2010 at 6:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
elena

this is a GREAT show...and the ONLY drama we watch on non-cable t.v...what a shame if they drop this from their schedule...i know that it was important news that the miners were being rescued, but was sorely disappointed when the show was preempted last week...the stories are good and the endings amazing...PLEASE DON'T CANCEL

October 18 2010 at 6:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
qe42day

No offense to the Chillean Miners but it was LIVE on every major news netowrk channel!! I am loving this show including the flash backs :)

October 18 2010 at 5:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Linda

I love this show. It's one of the better ones on ABC and TV this season. This is good television and interesting stories and their chemistry is great. And NO, I do not watch kids singing and dancing on that other show...yuck! This is a smart new show. If ABC knows whats good for them, they will keep it and give it a chance.

October 18 2010 at 5:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply