April 19, 2014

Question Time: Throw Your TV Queries My Way

by Maureen Ryan, posted Oct 14th 2010 12:15PM
Got questions about television? Leave them below for a new Ask Mo feature we're going to start posting here regularly.

Feel free to leave your questions in the comment area, hit me on Twitter with your inquiries or email me with what's on your mind.

A few small requests: Don't ask me when 'The Unit' is coming back (sorry, it's not), and if your question is about when a particular show is coming out on DVD, hit up the indispensable TV Shows on DVD for that info.

Also, keep in mind that I'm more likely to be able to answer questions about scripted television -- I'm not anti-reality but I haven't been watching unscripted TV as much of late. Final caveat: I won't be able to answer every question that comes in, but I'll certainly try to answer as many as I can!

Many thanks for participating, and here's just a little reminder for those of you who are fans of the following shows: This weekend, I'll be recapping 'Supernatural's' fourth episode (Jensen Ackles' directorial debut), weighing in on 'Mad Men's' season 4 finale (check out Joel Keller's interview with creator Matthew Weiner here), writing about 'Rubicon's' season 1 finale and also reviewing this week's 'Boardwalk Empire.' Check back this weekend to join the fun!

Shaun

Mo, do you think Fringe is in ratings trouble? I'd like to believe that FOX is reasonably happy considering the awful timeslot on Thursday nights, and I know the show gains in the ratings once DVRs are taken into account. Plus, the show does well in downloads, streaming and DVDs. But the ratings are down, in spite of the good buzz. Will Fringe get a fourth season?

And why haven't you been recapping Fringe since coming to AOL?

October 24 2010 at 12:11 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
hipnek

Should I give "Justified" another chance? It seems to be quite popular. Perhaps my expectations were too high going in. I love Walton Goggins and Timothy Olyphant and was very excited about the show until halfway through the first episode, at which point it was no longer bearable, what with Goggins chewing the scenery, and all of the over the top stereotyping. A Rastafarian church in Hazzard, Kentucky blown up by a RPG in the opening scene? Oh, please!

October 20 2010 at 6:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Claire

When will Guillermo be coming back to Weeds?! And will he be pro or anti-Nancy? She did get him sprung from the clink, after all...

October 20 2010 at 3:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
notWalt

LOST - Any thoughts as time has passed? Did you watch the DVD extras? Has the gap left behind been easier or harder to fill?

October 19 2010 at 10:43 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tausif Khan

What do you think about the new espnW that Disney is launching to appeal to women and expand women's sports coverage? Do you think this concept has potential?

October 18 2010 at 12:33 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Valerie

A whimsical question : If you could take any character on any show and put them in another show just for fun, who would it be? I'm thinking John Casey from Chuck might be awesome as a new partner to the Burn Notice gang...

A serious question : A big part of my love for Friday Night Lights is due to the incredible Coach and Mrs Coach : their relationship feels real in a way I rarely see on TV. What is your favorite depiction of a solid marriage on TV?

(And a big thanks for introducing me to Doctor Who! That show rocks!)

October 17 2010 at 10:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
MockingbirdGirl

A commenter over at TVbytheNumbers reported a comment by of the TERRIERS writers that viewership increased by 50% (!) when DVR figures were tallied. Can you get the scoop on how the show is performing in Live+7 ratings? I'd also love to know how RUBICON and CAPRICA are doing in that respect.

October 17 2010 at 5:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Inigo

Can you explain what you mean when you refer to "lazy writing" in a critique? From seeing the expression a bajillion times, particularly in the comments or reviews of amateurs, it's become meaningless to me or, rather, shorthand for "I didn't like that."

October 15 2010 at 6:04 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
katie71483

1) Why do you think shows like Chuck and Community haven't found larger audiences? They're hilarious AND have a lot of heart. Is it because they're on a struggling network? Or are people so comfortable with cop procedurals that they'd rather watch the millionth episode of CSI or L&O? or are they to Meta, to self-aware?

2) Friday Night Lights is about to begin its fifth and final season DirecTV. Have you seen any screeners yet? Does it still work even though the original cast is now gone with the exception of the Taylors?

3) Terriers is hands down my favorite new show of the season. Evidently I'm one of only five people watching. Was the promotional campaign too esoteric or quirky? Any theories as to why more people haven't tuned in?

October 14 2010 at 10:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
max

hi,
im wondering why/ what will it take for fringe to start getting award nominations. is it that the show is to geeky? and come on who is acting better then Noble?

October 14 2010 at 9:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply