October 1, 2014
TV's Best Video Clips - Updated Daily

'DWTS' Performers Help Out on 'Extreme Makeover: Home Edition' (VIDEO)

by Oliver Miller, posted Oct 18th 2010 1:36AM
'DWTS' Performers Create a Flash Mob on 'Extreme Makeover'It's time to move to the groove on 'Extreme Makeover' (Sun., 8PM ET on ABC). The 'Makeover' crew visited Neenah, Wisconsin -- where they helped out Rhex Arboleda and his family.

Rhex Arboleda and his wife were living in a tiny house with their five children. Rhex is a hometown hero -- despite his tough circumstances, he created a local program called "Move to the Groove," to help fight childhood obesity.

So it was appropriate that 'Dancing With the Stars' cast members showed up to help out. Derek Hough even insisted on pitching in with the construction work during the week-long "build."

Before we could get to the new house, there was the matter of telling Rhex that he and his family had won the 'Makeover' lottery. Ty Pennington and his crew decided to do this with a "flash mob." While the family was at a local farmer's market, Derek played one of Rhex's original songs over a loudspeaker. Next, over one hundred performers started a synchronized dance to the beat of the music.

"That's my song!" Rhex said. "That's daddy's song!" said one of the kids. The 'Extreme Makeover' bus then pulled up, and Ty Pennington gave the weeping and joyous family the good news. Their old home was being replaced -- with a house that would be more than eight times larger.

Check out the full episode below:

hermeselling

Well written and insightful.deserving no matter what size home they gave him.

October 19 2010 at 9:15 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
America

Edit: My second sentence was not as clear as I was hoping, I meant to say that how long you have been in a country as a citizen should not affect whether or not you are viewed as a true American.

October 18 2010 at 4:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
America

Am surprised by the amount of hatred towards this family found in the comments. Just because you have never asked for help/ "handouts" etc., doesn't make you more American in any way or form, nor does it make you more deserving. Neither does the length of time you have spent in a country, specifically America, as a citizen of it, no less, affect whether or not you are an American.

And I personally don't think it is the family to blame for the way the show is run regarding the opinions that it creates too expensive, over-the-top and so forth, homes. If you are so concerned perhaps you should write to ABC and the Extreme Makeover producers to truly voice your opinions instead of playing the "holier-than-thou" game in the comments of an article.

October 18 2010 at 4:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
RIchard Placer

There are rare moments in the course of reading internet commentaries or texts, that I feel compelled to make my own comment. First and foremost, be happy for this family! HGTV Home Makeover makes the impossibe, possible, taking the worst of any scenario and then, brings forth the miracle of joy, hope and happiness, to those that would otherwise be amongst the masses that always give - but never receive. These epecial people expect no payback, no public praise or even recognition, as they live for the experience of giving in so many different ways, always to inspire happiness, hope and joy, building bridges but never being helped across their own bridge of life. So, ABC and HGTV provide that special bridge!
These special people that benefit from the HGTV experience represent the true fabric of America, which is the very fabric sewn into all of our lives, as Americans. They are amongst the countless Americans that live by example, and they, the recipients, are but a mere sampling of those special people that make the United States of America, the greatest of all nations with the greatest of all peoples.
Alas, to those that hold any negative or hostile thoughts on any receipient of the HGTV miracle, clear your mind, heart and soul and focus upon the moments of happiness that these rare recipients receive when that bull horn explodes; "Bus driver, move that bus!" Instead of begrudging any of these people in their good fortune, look deep into your own soul and search out the seeds of bitterness or jealousy, and reawaken what is best about you and all Americans; our unconditional generousity and that special magic within each of us that makes us the best of the best - in every way, and - the true beacon for the world to learn from and follow, as we are weaving the fabric of our own freedoms and democracy, our own hopes and aspirations, and even our realities, into the fabric of all mankind.

So BRAVO to HGTV, ABC and all their sponsors, and especially for all those recipients, as future generations, in hundreds of years, will one day look back at these times and thsse historians will record such moments, as in the HGTV experience, as core to the foundation of America's strength, and as shining examples of those fragile but ever resounding words; "We The People". It's not just the show or the people, but the mark it makes in the course of time and the human experience, creatig a legacy for all future generations to reflect upon and to be awed by.
The Founding Fathers would be proud as we are exactly what they hoped for in the writing of those treasured documents that formed our fledging concept as a Republic and Free Nation; The Declaration, The Bill of Rights and the Constitution of these United States. We strive for all mankind to discover life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness, and HGTV is but one vessel that allows us to realize how truely blessed we are and how great we can become.

To those that never have that actual HGTV experience in their own personal lives or homes, just be happy for those that do! There is so little happiness and so much cynicism and hatred, that anyone anywhere should bask in the happiness that the "HGTV Extreme Home Makeover" team brings into the lives of their recipients. Those recipients and their stories, are our stories, and they are a part of our great American experience and our American family.

So, when watching this program, realize what I do; "ONLY IN AMERICA!" More so, miracles do happen! The miracle may be as large and as visible as a bus and a new home, or as small but just as great, as a life time spent in this great nation where anything is possible. Every day is yet another miracle in America as we live in the land of the free and the home of the brave, so be happy for those that receive the blessing of the HGTV experience, as it's those special people that work "behind the curtain" that are the true heroes of the American experience. Their reward is well deserved, and if you still don't believe that, ponder all the people in your own life that have always worked "behind the curtain" of public recognition, cameras or praise, just wanting people to be happier and live a more qualitatve life. They are all heroes, and so many go unsung or recognized, but in this experiment of democracy and our young Republic, these people are true examples of what make us so great. Be happy for them, as you should well remember, that the future may still have a special miracle for you - in the path of your time here. Or, as with all life, we are but a blink in the eye of time. So, perhaps your miracle is in this life or perhaps in the NEXT step of whatever God made us to be.

October 18 2010 at 3:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lydia73

Okay Lilypad...we will grow a heart when you get an education. And as far as shutting up...that's not the American way. This is a room for opinions and you are not a moderator. With your language skills, you will not be hired to be one either!

October 18 2010 at 3:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
lilypad

have a heart!

October 18 2010 at 2:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
lilypad

awww thats so nice! I happy for them! and all of the people who are being mean and saying they don't deserve there new home, SHUT UP! If it were you, you wouldn't want someone telling you that you that you shouldn't have gotten the wonderful oppertunity. gezz people sometime are just so insentitive!

October 18 2010 at 2:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dawn Herrera

Hi everyone,I want to congratulate this beautiful family I am sure they deserved all they won.I wish them all the best in the future.This man is doing something for his community and is being reconized for it.We need more people like him if we all do a little to help each other I am sure we would all be a bit happier.Stop attacking each other and start helping someone else out the rewards are great.What ever happen to love thy neighbor.You reep what you sow.Myself I am happy for this family and any others who get helped.God bLESS THEM ALL.

October 18 2010 at 2:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Dawn Herrera's comment
Biloxi2SF

Sorry, Dawn Herrera, that I so obviously hit a nerve. Just using my previous experience as an eligibility worker to formulate an opinion. I didn't insult them, I just spoke reality. I do not have anything against people, immigrants or citizens, that are on public assistance, and use that public assistance in the manner for which it was originally intended. Food stamps, cash aid, etc. are to be temporary help to assist those in need until they can better their situation. It is not intended to be a permanent way of life. Thru my experience, for most 2 parent households that are on assistance, the wife does not work because the additional paycheck would cut the benefits in half or more, maybe even make them ineligible. Again, I'm not insulting, just telling you the reality of it. Ironically, you accuse me of insulting this family by insinuating that they are on public assistance, but turn around and accuse me of the same. Kind of the same thing isn't it? Now I don't want to digress into a war of words, because you are obviously an educated person - the caps lock, punctuation errors and misspellings are evidence of your superior education, (just to clarify, that is sarcasm and can be correctly construed as an insult), but I actually do have a job and am now lucky enough to be able to make my own hours, and I have a stack of checks from my clients that I need to deposit. I must wonder, though, you say you are married to a hard working immigrant, but you fail to mention if you yourself are working. I wonder if that was the nerve I hit? I think it's wonderful that he and his family pay taxes, but that's the law, not a choice, so, by you stating that, I have to wonder if your hardworking husband is actually an immigrant or here as an undocumented person? I've noticed most legal permanent residents with a valid green card never mention paying taxes. They accept that reality as being entitled to future SSA benefits and living in America. However, many in the undocumented community, use that phrase about paying taxes as a defense, as a justification for being here. All I can say is thank you for paying your taxes, those taxes help to pay to educate your children, to provide law enforcement, access to healthcare and emergency services, etc. So, please, keep paying your taxes and good luck with your marriage, sounds like your husband is blessed to have you.

October 18 2010 at 4:11 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Biloxi2SF

The reason why they continue to have children is because it increases their food stamps, it makes them eligible for more cash aid, the college grants will be larger, etc. There is no excuse for the mother not to work...many mothers would love to stay home with their children, but they have a true sense of responsibility to their child and want a better life for that child and therefore they WORK for it. This man is not a "hero," he may be a good man, but being a fertile immigrant does not make you a hero! Our military personnel in Afghanistan and Iraq are heros, the firemen that enter burning buildings are heros, etc. Now that they have a bigger house, all this family will do is bring over their parents, their siblings, their cousins and as many people from their home village as possible. Not to mention that they will most likely have another litter of public aid paychecks!

October 18 2010 at 2:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to Biloxi2SF's comment
Dawn Herrera

THAT IS CRUEL AND IGNORANT FOR YOU TO SAY THIS ABOUT THESE PEOPLE THEY DON'T DESERVE THAT KIND OF INSULTS.nO ONE DOES MY HUSBAND IS A IMMIGRANT AND HE IS A RESPONSABLE MAN WHO WORKS HARD FOR A LIVING AND SO DOES ALL HIS RELATIVES THEY ALL WORK AND PAY TAXES.yOU ARE JUST A NASTY PERSON WHO HAS NOTHING GOOD TO SAY ABOUT ANYONE.WHO KNOWS YOUR PROBABLY GETTING FOOD STAMPS AND A GOVERMENT CHECK TO.

October 18 2010 at 2:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dawn Herrera

I just wanted to let you know that I do work thank you. As for the caps lock well have to be honest it wasn't me typing. Also I am educated I graduated from Millersville State not that its any concern of your's. My husband is a legal citizen and I said about the taxes because from my experience dealing with the ignorant most think immigrants don't pay taxes. We to get upset about people abusing the welfare but it seems that most of the abusers are Americans not outsiders. So instead of judging others mayby you should start judging your own people first. I am happy to hear you have a good job and have a stack of checks waiting to be deposited mayby instead of waisting your time on here throwing around sarcastic remarks you should spend your time more wisely and go deposit the so called stack of checks you have waiting. As for myself I have more important things to do rather than argue with ignorant people on her. With that said I rest my case.

October 19 2010 at 6:21 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Nancy

All I know is that sometimes I get very jealous and wonder ... "why not me?" Then I'm ashamed at myself at someone's fantastic luck on these shows. I worked and raised three boys on my own and we didn't have it easy. I only made $4.00 -$4.75 per hr because in the 70's and 80's that is all a woman would make per hour and that was office work. My tiny retirement check reflects the small paychecks from back then. I don't have much but it's mine and I paid for what I have myself. However, I can barely afford to go food shopping anymore because the prices are so very high but I thank God that I do receive help with food stamps because I qualify for them. I drive my sweet old '98' Hyundai and try to keep it in excellent condition but it has metal fatigue. I could never afford a new one.

My house needs many repairs and I live alone so must hire people if I do at all. My roof leaks and a new one will cost thousands of dollars. My porches are rotted and now dangerous, I need new doors. They don't open and close properly and worries me in case there was ever a fire. And they don't keep the house very warm on a bitter winter night here in Maine.
My point is that I have no one here that can help me. I have to do what I can do myself or do without. At retirement age it's not easy to make repairs anymore. I'm not complaining at all though. I just get extremely jealous, as I mentioned, then angry when I hear or see someone who just came to our country and almost immediately gets their dreamhouse. And btw, teachers make good pay.

October 18 2010 at 1:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply