August 1, 2014
TV's Best Video Clips - Updated Daily

Teri Hatcher Hurts Her Shoulder on 'Jimmy Kimmel Live' (VIDEO)

by Oliver Miller, posted Oct 19th 2010 3:10AM
Teri Hatcher Hurts Her Shoulder on 'Jimmy Kimmel'Actress Teri Hatcher isn't giving Jimmy Kimmel the cold shoulder, she's just in a lot of pain. Hatcher suffers from "frozen shoulder" syndrome -- a condition where a shoulder joint suddenly becomes stiff and immobile. People with the syndrome have trouble moving their upper body, and due to the pain, they also have trouble falling asleep.

On 'Jimmy Kimmel Live' (weeknights, 12AM ET on ABC), Teri jokingly discussed her syndrome. Kimmel had never heard of "frozen shoulder" before. "Is that like frozen yogurt?" he asked. While demonstrating that it was a "real thing," Teri stretched her arm out -- and instantly hurt herself. "Ow! ...Owww! I can't believe I just did that on television!"

The actress said the pain was so "extreme" that it once kept her up for 30 hours in a row -- and led her to make a poor decision. Groggy from lack of sleep, Teri glanced in the mirror and decided that she needed bangs. Then she decided to cut her own hair.

Needless to say, cutting your own hair on no sleep -- and with an injured arm -- is not good idea. The result was a disaster, and Teri's hairdresser made her promise to never "do that again."

daisy

I have had frozen shoulder and it is very painful and can last 1-3 years.
I found a Orthopedic Surgeon and there is a new treatment that can be used that most people don't know about for frozen shoulder. It is called "Hydrodistention" the Dr. will inject a numbing/cortisone into the joint after about 5 min. he will inject a saline solution. You will fill a strange pulling sensation in the arm after that is done the Dr. will move your arm around to distribute the solution. After about a week you will be good as new. One of the other treatments offered is called an
"MUA manipulation under anesthesia, they put you to sleep and move your arm till the adhesions are broken up, and then there is therapy after, not a nice thing to wake up to?? The "Hydrodistention" is a much better way to go and there is no recovery,
she should find someone who will do this instead of surgery.

April 21 2011 at 8:49 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
FromThere2Here

I've had frozen shoulder twice, once in each shoulder. It was so bad the first time, that I could not reach behind my back to hook my bra or zip myself up. Also, sleeping was indeed VERY uncomfortable - it's a kind of burning numbness, no position is comfortable.
The first time, I wasted MANY MONTHS on physical therapy that didn't help a bit, and was beginning to consider the surgery that I heard was VERY painful and not always successful.
FINALLY, I found a good acupuncturist, and after a few weeks, the treatment began to help. After a few months, the acupuncture did what the physical therapy did not.
I DID continue gentle stretching exercises, & they became easier to do as I continued acupuncture treatment. I eventually regained almost my entire range of motion.
The SECOND time I realized I had frozen shoulder, I went STRAIGHT to the acupuncturist, and this time it took only a (relatively) few visits to get relief.
Of course, this time I knew right away what worked for ME, so I went before it got as bad.
I haven't had it since, and that was over 6 years ago.
More info: the majority of sufferers are middle aged women (Teri Hatcher IS!). There is also strong correlation between Type 2 diabetes (which I have) and frozen shoulder. Although Type 2 itself is associated with obesity/overweight, it's not always the case. She may have Type 2 even though she is hardly even 'recommended' weight.

October 19 2010 at 2:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ver

Actually, frozen shoulder is caused by adhesions which cause pain and range of motion. It's extremely painful to rip or tear the adhesions, but a few minutes after (the tear), it feels better and range of motion improves.

I hope Terri has a good Physical Therapist.

October 19 2010 at 2:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
phoenix

this cute bag of bones needs a neurologist

October 19 2010 at 12:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to phoenix's comment
FromThere2Here

@Phoenix, a neurologist won't help - it's not a nerve condition.
signed, Scottsdale.
Also, @Hugh: massage won't do crap to help it. Feels just about as pleasant as massaging a broken leg that hasn't been set.

October 19 2010 at 2:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Just Go Away

Not the way I do it, bro. She wouldn't feel anything but good.

October 19 2010 at 10:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Rita

I also had frozen shoulder. It's extremely painful but physical therapy can correct it.

October 19 2010 at 12:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ian

She should visit a good chiropractor. The solutuon is painful (VERY) manipulation, to force the movement in the joint and break up the scar tissue which restricts movement and causes the extreme pain. I know as this is how I recovered from frozen shoulder.
I hope she recovers soon.

October 19 2010 at 10:01 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Just Go Away

Teri still looks pretty good. I have a massage technique that will work that kink right out for you, baby. Call me...

October 19 2010 at 8:51 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply