September 16, 2014
TV's Best Video Clips - Updated Daily

Elton John Laments the Lack of Quality Modern Songwriters on 'The View' (VIDEO)

by Jason Hughes, posted Oct 21st 2010 3:01PM
Elton John, 'The View'Somebody must be pouring sour milk in Sir Elton John's Cheerios, because the legendary musician was a little cranky on 'The View' (Weekdays, Syndicated on ABC). Actually, he was responding to some quotes he'd made recently about the current state of music, and while he's critical, he makes some interesting points.

"In the '70s you could buy records every week by Bob Dylan, Paul Simon, Neil Young, Carole King, James Taylor. Great songwriters whose songs lasted forever," he explained. "Today's songs are more like nursery rhymes," according to John.

"No one's going to be singing 'Jenny from the Block' in ten years time," he argued, using Jennifer Lopez's 2002 hit (which does at least mean he remembers it eight years later).

He acknowledged that he thinks Lady Gaga is a good songwriter, and that there are others, but he's more worried about this new reality competition class of singers coming out who don't write their own music. "There aren't the quality of the songwriters around right now" for these people, he said. He likened it to Barbra Streisand and Aretha Franklin, "who are great interpreters of a lyric," and had great songwriters providing for them. Artists like them today "are really in a sticky position."

Co-host Barbara Walters asked if he thought the solution was for these singers to write their own music. "I think they have to try," he said. "I would have loved to have seen a [week on 'American Idol' where] all the contestants had to write a song." What do you think?

Do you think 'American Idol,' 'The X-Factor' and shows like that are hurting the music industry by bringing up so many singers who don't write their own music? Should they force the issue on the shows by having them write their own music for a theme week? We know some contestants would have loved that opportunity, but others would have been completely lost. There have always been both types of singers; those who write their own music, and those who don't.

Do you think John is making a valid statement about modern music, or is it simply a matter of taste and the constantly evolving landscape of the industry. Maybe John is just becoming that cranky older relative who doesn't understand that "noise" these kids today call music.

mindy

He's right. And a lot of it has to do with music videos turning a sound experience into a visual experience. I think a lot of songs are written around this concept and written for pretty singers who don't really have the greatest talent.

October 23 2010 at 2:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
warmhrt195

I agree to "no talent" today, but I also have to say that the video is selling more music. In the 70's back, we didn't even know what a singer looked like or how they moved, etc. In the 60s there was Ed Sulliven who introduced us to The Beatles and Elvis, but that was nothing compared to todays videos. Too much explicit sex as far as I'm concerned. Poor Elvis got in trouble for moving his hips

October 23 2010 at 2:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
STLaferty

What a bigoted thing to post! As if there isn't enough- TOO much- of that going on as it is!What's your point??

October 23 2010 at 1:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mls

Vote the bums out of the House, Senate and eventually the White House. Vote for Tea Party endorsed candidates. NO RHINOS! Carl Paladino for NY Govenor. Homosexuals should not have any voice in public life. They should go back into the closet and let the morals of society get back to being perfect.

October 23 2010 at 1:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lanajeane

Elton John is one of the worlds top musicians; maybe we should listen to what he says!

October 23 2010 at 1:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jim

I agree with everything he said.People today can't PLAY instruments they have it done all in a studio-------NO TALENT !As far as RAP CRAP it isn't music its NOISE and he is right in ten yeras none of this Noise will be played.And as far as moronic reality shows--I can't lower my brain enough to embarass my menaltity to have that garbage on my TV.

October 23 2010 at 12:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Scott Wilcox

Elton! Start a new show targeted towards good songwriters! Make it free to enter and open to all ages!

October 23 2010 at 12:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Scott Wilcox

I think elton John is absolutely right, but the problem goes deeper than that. I have been a songwriter for 30 years and I believe my music ( as do many others) is very good, but there are few outlets for songwriters who can't afford the money for promotion. If you want truly creative artists the industry needs to allow for free opportunities to hear them. Don't take my word for it, I'll send any one of you a song of mine for free for you to see for yourself. My email is singer911@centurytel.net

October 23 2010 at 12:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
lrodfiggy

What can be said about "And they swam and they swam all over the dam"? Come on folks, what were the lyrics in the 30's. That may be before your time, but still it was music. I must agree with the "noise" issue. All is not lost, we still have Blues, and Country.

October 23 2010 at 12:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
John padrick murry

todays music is gross i cant understand it it makes no sense at all.

October 23 2010 at 11:54 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply