December 22, 2014

CBS Orders Full Seasons of All Five New Shows

by Catherine Lawson, posted Oct 22nd 2010 8:15AM
'Blue Bloods'Good news for CBS viewers: After a strong start to the fall season, the network has gone all-out and ordered full seasons of its five new shows.

The solid performance of the five newbies -- 'The Defenders,' 'Hawaii Five-0,' 'Blue Bloods,' 'Mike & Molly' and '$#*! My Dad Says' -- helped CBS nab the number one spot for the first month of the fall season.

Speaking toThe Hollywood Reporter, CBS Entertainment President Nina Tassler credited the success to the network's strong development, promotion and smart scheduling moves. "It's personally thrilling and extremely satisfying," she added, "I like kept walking around the halls going, 'I want 5 for 5.'"

Although the network hasn't said just how many episodes have been ordered, Tassler wouldn't rule out reducing the episode orders for some series so that they can make room for new midseason shows.

Sources say that the '$#*!' order may only be for six episodes instead of the customary nine, plus three scripts. 'Hawaii Five-0' is said to have received nine plus two scripts, and 'Mike & Molly' got nine, which may be upped to eleven. "We're looking at all possible ideas," Tassler said. "It's not just about filling slots but launching a successful midseason schedule." For midseason, CBS has lined up comedy 'Mad Love,' Paula Abdul's reality show 'Live to Dance' and the dramas 'Chaos' and 'Criminal Minds: Suspect Behavior.'

The season orders haven't come as a total surprise as the five shows in question happen to be the most-watched new shows of the season. Three of them -- '$#*!,' 'MIke & Molly' and 'Hawaii Five-0' -- are also the top shows in the most-coveted aged 18-49 demographic.

So far the other networks have each canceled one show -- 'Lone Star,' 'My Generation' and 'Outlaw' -- and other shows, like 'Running Wilde,' remain on the bubble. But both Fox and NBC announced pick ups earlier this week, thus guaranteeing that the CBS shows will continue to have some competition.

Dick

Sorry...I was replying to Arlene Barrow

October 23 2010 at 12:26 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dick

I think there must be a broadcast problem on CBS...I've noticed that happening on 3 or 4 CBS shows (where you can hear the music, but the dialogue seems to be muted). I thought maybe the dialogue police were cutting out some controversial conversation. After all, we adults have to be protected from words that might be offensive to small minded speech patrol monitors.

October 23 2010 at 12:23 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Paula

The original Hawaii 5-0 will always be the best,but the new show is okay.I like Alex from "Moonlight".Scott Caan is short,so what !!!!
Blue Bloods is a good new show,Tom Selleck is great,
other fine actors,like Danny W. Happy to hear they
are both renewed.Good work !!!!!!!!

October 23 2010 at 12:01 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Steven R. Russell

Amazing, the profanity this article generates.

Just like the Bible tells us in prophecy. We are told that one sign of living in the last days, is that people will be ungrateful.

The Bible tells us that; "There is nothing new under the sun." I believe that is a quote from King Solomon, the wisest, and wealthiest king who ever lived, son of King David, and successor to his father's throne.

Or as the secular proverb goes;

"This too shall pass."

October 22 2010 at 11:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
rchrdshelton

I watched Hawaii 5-0 and thought it awful. One of the best features of the original was that the police work was methodical. The characters all had respect for Steve and he for them. Those actors acted. You could tell what they thought from their facial expressions or their tone. The original Dano would never speak to Steve like the new Dano. Chin Ho Kelly was my fav. Very soft spoken, but when he did speak, you listened. It showed the benefit of excellent work, which is hard. Did the producers even watch the old show?

October 22 2010 at 9:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
allen hockaday

The show sucks, it just sucks. Not much more to say.

October 22 2010 at 9:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dean

Hawaii Five-O is the worst show on tv.Doesn`t even come close to the original,a real sham.

October 22 2010 at 8:49 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ronald Smith

The programs are pretty good. But that confrontation aspect between the two lead actors on Hawaii five-O is stupid. Takes away from the story lines. And the music all the time hides the jist of the actors lines, its to loud. For that matter all the TV shows music should be stopped, let the actors say their lines so we can hear them.

October 22 2010 at 8:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Emmy

I live on Oahu. I am not old enough to appreciate the original Hawaii Five O but I have seen re-runs. I mean, I SAW it when I was very young, and it seemed cheesy then, and it seems cheesy now. However, that being said, people obviously loved it or it would not have been on for so long. Let's face it. People who say that Hawaii Five O will never be as good as the original are like people who say Saturday Night Live quit being funny after Belushi. Give me a break. TIMES CHANGE.
McGarrett in the original show was wooden, and he never had a private life. That's OK, but please. Where did he LIVE? He had like two girlfriends in all those years?
My husband and I actually know James MacArthur (original Danno) and he loves Scott Caan in the role. (He is a friend of my husband's Uncle). James is very ill right now. VERY. HE loves the show! He didn't like the other remakes, but he likes this one.
Scott Caan does steal the show, but Alex is growing on me. Kono is way too little. She was miscast. She is the bad link in the show.
But I watch them film down the street sometimes, and it's cool, good for Hawaii, and great fun to watch. Give it some time. Even Seinfeld struggled for almost 2 years before it caught on.

October 22 2010 at 8:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Pansies15

I watched the original Five-0 & loved it, but I like the new one also. I went into it with an open mind and did not expect it to be like the old one. If you want to watch the old ones, watch the reruns on Spike. I think they are all doing a good job and yes Scott Caan is good as Dano, but Alex is good too. I think the longer Alex plays this role he will make it his, he works hard & gives 110%. I loved him in Moonlight and he is good at developing a character. GINA

October 22 2010 at 8:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply