December 20, 2014

What's On Your DVR: Which Fall Shows Are You Deleting or Keeping?

by Rich Keller, posted Oct 23rd 2010 2:00PM
What fall shows are piling up on your DVR and which ones have been erased?We're about a third of the way through the 2010-2011 television season, which so far can be best described as "feh," "meh" or "neh." Regardless, you've probably been loading up your DVR with new and existing shows just to see how mediocre they really have become.

Unfortunately, you've filled it up so much that the DVR is warning you to sit your butt down and watch some of these programs, or it's not going to have enough room to record the newest edition of 'Campus PD.' So you have no other choice but to delete items that you wanted to give a chance but really have to time to see.

Which begs this question: what are you still hanging on to and what has been deleted from your DVR? Let's tell you what we've done first before you tell us your DVR sob stories.

Personally, two new shows are taking up space on my DVR: 'Hawaii Five-O' and 'The Defenders.' Maybe I feel sympathy for Jim Belushi and Alex O'Loughlin because they've gotten such a bad television rap over the last few years, but I want to give these shows a chance. That, and they seem entertaining enough to keep me interested through each episode.

HouseI also have two older shows piling up on the device -- 'House' and 'The Office.' The reason for the 'House' pileup is trying to find the right time to watch the episodes without falling asleep. On the other hand, 'The Office' and I are like a married couple who've been together for many years: we may still say we love each other, but the sizzle is gone. I'm still a fan of the show, but it seems more of a task to watch it than in previous seasons.

Gone from my DVR altogether are 'The Whole Truth,' 'Detroit 1-8-7,' 'The Event' and, sadly, 'Boardwalk Empire.' The loss of 'Empire' hurts the most because I very much enjoyed the series premiere. Unfortunately, there's not enough space in my head to follow the story each week. I'll probably regret it when it gets nominated for 150 Emmys and is the topic of conversation every Monday morning, but it was probably best to let it go early rather than investing so much time in it.

Now that I've aired my dirty laundry, here's what some of my TV Squad colleagues are saying about their DVR habits.

Bob Sassone: 'The Event.' Just don't want to get involved in another epic continuing mystery (especially one that might not stick around).

The EventAllison Waldman: I'm having a love/hate relationship with 'The Event.' I have managed to clear my DVR of the episodes I taped, but I'm not sure if I want to keep with the show. It's pissed me off with the time-shifting and multiple story lines, so I might just forget to DVR it anymore. There are just too many other shows worth watching. I fear if I keep taping 'The Event,' it will begin to pile up.

Isabelle Carreau: I enjoyed 'The Good Guys' over the summer and DVRed all fall episodes so far. I managed to watch one a few days ago and decided to delete the rest. This show is just not a good enough fall show plus there are way too many other shows to watch. FOX should have kept it for the summer.

You can also put me up for 'The Event' for the exact same reasons Allison gave. I too managed to watch the episodes but I'm not sure I'll keep taping it.

DefendersI have most of 'The Defenders' episodes on my DVR. The main reason I had my DVR record the show is because of my Jerry O'Connell teenage fan crush. The previews that aired over the summer made it sound like a fun, yet serious at times, show. I managed to watch the premiere over the weekend. It is not a bad show but it'll stay on my DVR until I watch a second episode whenever I get the time. It didn't grab my attention enough for it to be one of my "must watch within a week of airing" shows but it did interest me enough for me not to delete everything right away, I'll give it another chance or two.

Gary Susman: I'm only DVR-ing shows on FOX, ABC, and the CW, since Comcast has NBC and CBS shows in its On Demand service, and the DVR can record only two shows at a time. I have yet to work up enough interest to watch more than a few minutes of Fox's 'Raising Hope,' but I finally started watching 'Running Wilde' and found it pretty rocky but not without promise.

Watched just one episode of ABC's 'Detroit 1-8-7,' which seems like the 'Muppet Babies' version of a Steven Bochco cop show. Have only watched a few minutes of 'No Ordinary Family,' which strikes me as 'Heroes' without the apocalyptic dread or puzzle-solving (which were the things I liked about 'Heroes'), or 'The Incredibles' without humor. Meh.

We posed the question to our Facebook and Twitter users and the responses were varied across the board.

Jodi P. ditched 'The Defenders,' Kathryn S. gave up 'Running Wilde,' and Jessica M. deleted 'The Event' and 'Eureka.' Over on Twitter, @RahulG86 dropped 'The Middle,' @kristal_bailey lost 'Lone Star' and @forwerdmedia deleted 'Undercovers,' 'Hawaii Five-0' and 'Raising Hope.'

Now that we've showed you our DVR choices, let's hear about yours.

fayster

Started watching but stopped because of 'bleh':
Chase, $! My Dad Says

New ones we DVR and watch within a week:
The Event (the hubby watches it, I can take it or leave it)
Blue Bloods ('eh' so-so)
Detroit 1-8-7 - one of my favorites of the new series. Michael Imperioli is great!
The Big C - 'eh'. Who would really take that long to tell their family, hmmm?
Boardwalk Empire - actually liking it but not like Dexter, Rubicon or Breaking Bad

Old standby's:
Dexter, House, Weeds, Lie to Me

Please come back: Rubicon
Hurry and come back: Breaking Bad!!

October 26 2010 at 8:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
GerryofNorVA

Thanks, I was hoping you guys would pose this question ! I've watched these for a few eps and deleted from my to-be-recorded list:
1. Undercovers (way too light weight),
2. Nikita (way too implausible),
3. Hawaii Five-O (never captured my interest),
4. House (ridunculous House/Cuddy juvenile love story),
5. $! My Dad Says (Shatner's character is too over-the-top, implausible), and
6. Sanctuary on SyFy (wanted to like this series but it just grates on me for some reason).

Maybe: The Event - I find myself FF'ing more often through its eps and that's not a good thing.

Keepers:
1. Fox's Animated lineup on Sunday nights,
2. Modern Family & Cougar Town comedy hour,
3. South Park & Ugly Americans comedy hour,
4. The Office & Outsourced comedy hour (see a pattern ?!)
5. Stargate Universe (SyFy)
6. Penguins of Madagascar and Fanboy & ChumChum comedy hour on Saturday mornings

The surprising bottomline is that the only "new" show I'm following is "Outsourced", all other Keepers are continuing from prior seasons. BTW, I was following "Lone Star" before it was rudely cancelled.

October 25 2010 at 12:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
R-Bro

The Event: haven't watched an ep yet.

Nikita: Deleted, never watched.

Hawaii Five-0: haven't watched an ep yet.

Detroit 1-8-7: finally started watching, planning to keep watching.

October 25 2010 at 9:47 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
joe

I almost never watch Tv / real time, I always DVR the show I will watch within 2 weeks and the 'if I have Time'.

On my maybe list :
-seen and deleted : Blue Blood, not good enough to stay, but I keep watching and wondering, is it good yet?)
- Deleted : The event,
- Deleted Saw only the first episodes : the good guys
- Deleted Saw only the first episodes : raising hope ( not bad, but not good enough, i'll do with TBT, Cougar Town and HIMYM)
-D

On my maybe list :
- Deleted : The event,
- Deleted Saw only the first episodes : the good guys
- Deleted Saw only the first episodes : Nikita ( bad, bad bad!!!!)
- deleted : Lie to me ( I used to like it, but...)

- kept : the mentalist, criminal mind, supernatural, HiMYM, TBT, cougar town, Hawai5-O (pretty entertaining), NCIS (the original one, NCIS LA was deleted last year!), Castle and Grey's.

Et voilà!

October 25 2010 at 6:43 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
pokermuse

Detroit 1-8-7 has gotten better and better with each episode. I wouldn't write it off yet.

I'm over Chuck.

I like The Event, but it's nowhere near Lost status, no matter how much they wish it was.

October 24 2010 at 8:57 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Garret

Mine's almost full, and that's saying a LOT now that I have the upgraded ATT Uverse DVR w/over 120HD hours storage... : |

Regularly DVR and see within 24hrs to 2 weeks (Survivor, The Office, Grey's Anatomy, Amazing Race, Big Bang Theory, Criminal Minds)

Still loaded but never watched:
5 episodes of Sons of Anarchy (Seen the first 2. This is my favorite show so its not going anywhere...just savoring it)
5 episodes of Chuck (watched the premiere only)
5 episodes of The Event (only b/c it hasn't been canceled and still seems to attract so-so buzz)
5 episodes of OneTreeHill (missed the premiere so I feel less interested in watching it every week)
6 episodes of Blue Bloods (still haven't seen one yet, but it appears to be a hit)
5 episodes of Detroit 1-8-7 (Would've skipped this except I was surprised at how glowing a review USAToday gave it...still haven't seen one yet)
5 episodes of Smallville (just waiting for spare time : / )

Deleted:
Boardwalk Empire (hey, HBO HD is always onDemand so...)
Misc movies from my free trial period of HBO/MAX
Lone Star
Nikita (heard too many "rehash" stories and missed the second episode)

Skipped but wish I hadn't:
Terriers

Final note: One reason that I've had less time AND less space is I've been DVR'ing (and watching) the Hammer horror films on TCM during October.

October 23 2010 at 11:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jake

Boardwalk Empire is one of the most talked about shows out there. The buzz for the show is huge.

October 23 2010 at 5:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Jake's comment
Dan

That's probably due to the tv season being weak anyway. And Boardwalk is hardly getting as much buzz as Lost got for example, or even Glee gets now, it's definitely not an internet-phenomenon like those. And the Emmys are not really decided based on viewers or online buzz anyway.

October 24 2010 at 1:55 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Borat

I am liking Boardwalk, but much like The Sopranos or The Wire I think it's a show which needs to be seen more than once a week.

October 23 2010 at 4:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dan

Doubt you're gonna regret quitting Boardwalk. The show is nothing like the first episode (it's way slower, uneventful and boring) and I wouldn't be surprised if all the Emmy-love went to the pilot only. The actors are definitely not challenging Mad Men and we're almost halfway through the season and I don't see any Monday morning buzz about any of the subsequent episodes.

October 23 2010 at 4:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to Dan's comment
Jake

Dan, you couldn't be more off if you tried. The Buzz for Boardwalk Empire. Its ratings are like 12 million when you factor in DVR and OnDemand. Again, those are huge numbers,

October 23 2010 at 5:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jake

I agree with Paul, the buzz for Boardwalk Empire has been huge. Every Monday morning, it is one of the top searches on Google. There are loads of articles about each episode. Expect this show to get bunch of Emmys.

October 23 2010 at 5:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
hartbroknagn

Amazingly, I only have a few shows on my DVR that come ABC, CBS or NBC. Actually it is only Hawaii 50 on my DVR. The rest are CW, Fox and FX ect and sadly none of them are new this fall except the Good Guys which I find kind of funny, and Terriers which I enjoy but I have no illusions that either of these shows will be continued.

October 23 2010 at 3:40 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply