July 23, 2014

On the 'DWTS' Scene: How Did Bristol Palin Turn It Around?

by Michael Maloney, posted Oct 26th 2010 10:55AM
Bristol Palin, Mark BallasA series of surprises on 'Dancing With the Stars' could leave Bristol Palin on the show's ballot until November.

For starters, the teen activist and partner Mark Ballas earned their highest score yet with a 23 for their tango Monday night. They also picked up an additional 4 points during a group competition, which gives them a 5 point lead over the show's bottom-scoring couple.

"I realized if I wasn't going to go all out this week, that I'd be going home," Palin told TV Squad after the show's taping. "So I put everything I had into this dance and worked my butt off! Messing up last week could have destroyed me or given me more motivation and it did [the latter.]"

What led to Palin's break-though? "Every week, as we've kept going, Bristol's gotten more comfortable," Ballas said. "We've tried to keep it about having fun. I was really proud of her this week. She's really improved."

Another shocking score of the night was the mere 20 points earned by Jennifer Grey and Derek Hough, who had an off night. Luckily, the couple picked up an additional 9 points in the group competition.

"It was the 'guy-liner,'" joked Hough of the extra eye makeup he and the other male dancers wore in honor of "rock and roll" week. "It got in my eyes. No, what happened was Jennifer got into the rock and roll thing and there was one little off balance move in the end. It was one of those moments. The judges gave their scores. We know what it's not good. Jennifer was upset after the dance. I told her it's OK. This is what the show is all about."

Lowest-scoring pair Kurt Warner and Anna Trebunskaya were puzzled by the judges' comments. "We came out and performed what we thought was a good dance," said Warner. "We don't know [what the judges' comments] meant."

"If they'd said we'd miss a few steps and we deducted a point for each one, it'd be like, 'OK,'" saidTrebunskaya. "I'm a coach, partner and protective 'Mama Bear' of all my celebrity students. The audience went nuts after our dance and booed the judges [for our low scores.] That's all I have to say."

Audrina Patridge and Tony Dovolani, who landed in second place, were also disappointed by the judges' comments. "It was disheartening," Dovolani said. "I told Audrina that she gave me what I wanted from her performance."

"I put in so much work this entire week," Patridge said. "I wish that they'd recognized it. [But] our score was pretty good."

For the second week in a row, Brandy Norwood and Maksim Chmerkovskiy took the top spot, this time for performing a tango to Bonnie Tyler's 'I Need a Hero.' The couple also came in first in the group event, earning a total of 36 for the night.

"Maks is definitely my hero," Norwood gushed. "He's teaching me so many different things. He's the backbone to who we are."

The couple won't rest on Monday's victory. "It's already over right when we finish dancing," she said. "If we make it through [to next week], we have to focus on working so hard."

Chmerkovskiy was thrilled not only to be the top scorer, but also to have gotten out of the outfit he had to wear for most of the show. 'Those pleather pants!," he exclained. "Do you have any idea what was happening [to me]? Wow!"

One of the more impressive moves was Kyle Massey jumping on Lacey Schwimmer's back during the group competition. "Kyle thought I was kidding when I told him to do that," said Schwimmer, adding with a smile, "He was light as a feather."

Monday's performance show began with a replay of the top 10 dances from the series, selected by show's fans. Season 11 stars and pros had mixed reactions to the selections.

"Mel B.'s and Maks' paso doble had me going crazy," raved Norwood. "One of the reasons I want to win so badly is because I feel that Maks has deserved the trophy for so long. I want to win for all his partners."

"It was awesome to see those old dances," Cheryl Burke said. "It brought me back to the old days. The last routine [with Drew Lachey] was five years ago and it was nice to see them again."

"They're weren't my top 10," one pro said. "Most of our viewers may not even go online. Maybe three or four of the 10 shown were ones that I liked. Where was Mario Lopez's paso doble? Or Melissa Rycroft's tango?"

Vickey Monrean

When your mother is rallying 100's of thousands of people to vote in a few weeks or days, I'm sure that youmight benefit from that engimatic force. Bristol much as you might have tried there is no reason that you are there and others have left--except your mother's following. Sort of the same reason you are there at all.

October 30 2010 at 12:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jan

Dear Patricia.......You are a real "BIOTCH"...Did your mother not teach you how to be KIND to other people...I bet you run around as the TOWN GOSSIP,,,,There is usually GOOD in everyone..BUT I certainly question you........Thank God it is Halloween, Get on your Witches Hat...you need it....!

October 30 2010 at 11:30 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Jan's comment
Patricia

I so love how you can call someone a "BIOTCH" and for the record idiot, the phrase is biatch, call someone a witch, and "Thank God" in the same breath. Talk about being kind to people. You are an idiot AND a fraud. I hope that YOU find the appropriate Halloween costume.Pick from any of the ones I just referred to you as. LOL

October 30 2010 at 11:37 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
lizb

What a bunch of haters! I suppose each and ever single one of you waited until you were married to have sex? She could have had an abortion or thrown the baby away when she had it....but she kept the baby and is doing her best at raising it. There are far worse scenarios than hers. Give people credit where credit is due and stop being so darn judgemental!

October 30 2010 at 11:09 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Patricia

I will boycott the show until she is gone.

October 30 2010 at 9:33 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Patricia

Why Palin is till on this show is a mystery to me. She's lousy. As bad as Michael Bolton was, I would much rather see him or the Situation on this show than this single mother nobody. When Florence Henderson was sent packing and Palin remain, I knew the show was rigged. That gorilla outfit dance was dreadful. The judges should have given her zeros. Get rid if her already. She stinks.

October 30 2010 at 9:29 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
reed

I wouldnt neccessarily say she isn't an activist. Actually, I see her more as a public speaker; activists do a little more than just give speeches about something, they are involved with charities, seminars, etc. The thing is, she is supposed to be an activist for teens and educating them on sex and teen pregnancy. In other words, just because she did something foolish doesnt mean she doesnt regret it and want to keep the same thing from happening to others. Just like AIDS activists, they may have the disease, but they want to educate others about the disease so it doesnt happen to them too. As far as wanting fame, maybe thats true, but I dont know, I dont know her personally. I would not suggest to know anything about her except what I see on tv, pretending anything else would be foolish.

October 30 2010 at 9:15 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
smapplebee

For all those people who hate Bristol, I have a suggestion. Start watching AFTER she is voted off. Its amusing to see a teenager get under the skin of so many. While others are crying and complaining, Bristol keeps dancing and having fun. Go Bristol.

October 27 2010 at 6:35 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to smapplebee's comment
Mike

Huh? I don't hate Bristol Palin. She's an emotionally and educationally stunted little girl who didn't have a set of parents properly looking out for her and guiding her through her adolescence. I mean, at one point Levi Johnston was living with the Palins in their house. She was still 17. Do I blame her for that? Nope.

I don't recall blaming her for anything in this article. What I said was that we shouldn't start suggesting she's anything more than what she is... and that's certainly NOT an activist.

So, try that somewhere else, you aren't putting words in any of our mouths that we didn't actually say...

October 27 2010 at 12:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Felton Marans

Did anyone see Levi Johnson on Bill Maher on Friday?
A child who is the product of that gene pool is going to need a lot of help. She should be home watching her child.

Bristol's mother spent too much time watching Russia and not enough time watching Bristol-that is why she got pregnant.

October 26 2010 at 4:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mike

A teen activist? Huh? What is she an activist for? Getting pregnant while still in high school? Being so stupid as to go back to her twit bf a year later when it was clear all he wanted was fame and money? Then again, isn't that what the Palin's want?

Activist... please.

Can anyone quote a single worthwhile sentence from this woman? One that doesn't include any reference to the big meanies after her mommy, her own famewhore ways, or the trash she mated with?

Yeah, didn't think so.

I don't really care if this chick is on a dancing program. That's cool, more power to her. I don't care if she makes a ton of money, gets global fame, etc. What I object to is people acting like she's anything but a fame whore. I'll ask again, can anyone quote Bristol Palin, a single sentence, that isn't about her mom, her own fame seeking, or that twit Levi Johnston?

It's not that I hate her, it's more that I hate you and all the people contributing to the fame whores getting what they want. An activist. Don't insult us.

October 26 2010 at 11:49 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply