December 18, 2014

Sam Champion Takes Leave of Absence From 'Good Morning America' After Father's Death

by Chris Harnick, posted Oct 26th 2010 11:45AM
Sam ChampionUPDATE: Sam Champion has tweeted that his father, Lt. Col. James H. Champion, passed away last night, Oct. 25.

Sam Champion, the 'Good Morning America' (weekdays, 7AM on ABC) weather anchor, will take a leave of absence following his father's death.

"After a life of service to his country and his family, Lt. Col. James H. Champion, U.S. Marine Corps (retired), passed away last night in Houston, Texas," 'Good Morning America' senior executive producer Jim Murphy wrote in an e-mail to the show's staff. "He was better known to us as Sam Champion's dad. Sam, his sister Teresa and his mom, Sylvia, were all together with the Lt. Col. at the end."

Champion took to Twitter to thank fans for their support. "THANK YOU! I feel your thots and prayer LtCol JH Champion USMC Ret..passed last night..WORLDS BEST DAD..awesome guy." [sic]

Champion, who is not a meteorologist, has been the weather anchor on 'GMA' since 2006. He will not be on 'GMA' for the rest of the week.

Nancy Newman

Sam, do you read these comments and reply? I am
Nancy Newman in Winter Park, Florida.
puddin8602@aol.com

You are doing good. I know it is hard but one day at a time. You may be on GMA but your are thinking.....I know..............

November 19 2010 at 9:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
sherry whitcomb

sam,i am so sorry for your loss i lost a sister 8 yrs ago then my mom & best friend passed 3yrs ago & my dad 2 yrs ago & my dog angel 5 months ago she was my rock.you will never stop missing your dad & his memory,just know that alot of people feel your pain,i miss not seeing your awsome smile & hearing your wonderful laugh my thoughts are with you at this difficult time take care of your mom & sister. sherry whitcomb
brighton,mich

October 28 2010 at 12:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Gia

Sam, I'm so sorry to hear of the passing of your Dad. My condolences to you and your family,you're in my thoughts and prayers. God Bless.

October 28 2010 at 7:34 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
TS

My deepeest sympathy on the loss of your beloved fathe.
I lost my father more than 6 years ago and still think about him daily. It will get easier. Just remember all the good times how much he loved and supported you.

October 27 2010 at 11:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Donna Pitts

Dear Sam;
Our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family during this difficult time. Just remember that with Jesus all things are possible and He will get you through this.
May God Bless You and your family during this time
Donna Pitts
Astatula, Fl

October 27 2010 at 9:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
New York

I too lost my Dad & Mom. I still miss them and it has been 14 years now. My thoughts & prayers are with you & your family. Sounds like you had a wonderful Dad. God Bless

October 27 2010 at 11:47 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Nancy Newman

Sam, again I am so very sorry of the loss of your dad.

We moved to Winter Park, Fl 25 years ago. I was born and raised in Washington, D.C. and of course the family all worked for the Federal Government.
I lived also in Bethesda and Potomac, Maryland. I understand you lived there also. You are so darling..you take care it is a process you have to go through....God Bless you and your family. Again,
Nancy Newman, Winter Park, Florida

October 27 2010 at 9:32 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
gene palmer

am very sorry to hear about your father my wife and i consider you as part of our family and your loss effects us also god bless you and your family may your dad be in heaven today rejoicing in gods mercy and compassion if your dad was anything like you he must have been a hell of a nice guy i was in the marine corps 50 years ago and as they say in the marine corps hymn the streets are guarded by united states marines im sure your dad will take charge and the streets will be even safer till your time comes to walk them god bless

October 27 2010 at 9:29 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
bobbyeve

This is an apology for any nut who posts something nasty.

October 27 2010 at 8:32 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Nancy Newman

I am a big fan of yours Sam. I am 61 but look and act like 50. I am married with 2 grown children and 4 grandsons. We all are very close. My husband and I own a business.

Sorry to hear the passing of your wonderful father. My father passed away when I was 16 and my mother when I was 34 in my house in front of my 2 small children. What a sight and I am still seeing everything in my mine. You will never forget your father and the memories. God Bless you and your family. You are so great. I love you.. I believe you lived in Potomac, Md. area at one time in high shcool. A friend of mine daugther went to school with you. Again, sorry to hear of the sad news.
Nancy Newman of Winter Park, Florida