October 25, 2014

'Caprica' Is Cancelled by Syfy

by Maureen Ryan, posted Oct 27th 2010 6:39PM
Due to low ratings, Syfy has cancelled the 'Battlestar Galactica' prequel 'Caprica.'

Syfy is pulling the show from its broadcast rotation immediately, and the remaining five episodes of the show's first season will air some time in the first few months of 2011, according to the network.

"We appreciate all the support that fans have shown for 'Caprica' and are very proud of the producers, cast, writers and the rest of the amazing team that has been committed to this fine series," Mark Stern, executive vice president of original programming and co-head of content for Universal Cable Productions, said in a statement from the network. "Unfortunately, despite its obvious quality, 'Caprica' has not been able to build the audience necessary to justify a second season."

On Friday, AOL broke the news that Syfy had greenlit a 'Battlestar' spinoff about William Adama's early days as a Viper pilot. The two-hour 'Battlestar Galactica: Blood & Chrome' pilot is expected to air either late next year or in early 2012, and could lead to a full young Adama series.

'Caprica' began full of promise and boasted a fine cast, but when it returned this fall with new episodes, it remained frustratingly incoherent, as I said in this review. The series had some good moments and interesting ideas, but let's hope the 'Blood & Chrome' project contains both thought-provoking concepts and visceral tension. The latter quality was notably lacking in 'Caprica.'

Smokedog Stover

Just watched it again for third time. Great show!

August 27 2012 at 11:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
AZman

i just got finished watching it on netflix and am dissappointed to find 2nd season not available. btw, i liked stargate universe but hated sg1

February 28 2012 at 10:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Luby

Caprica was one of the best shows this year. Where do these guys get their ratings? The are asking the wrong audience for feed back. The story line in caprica beats any poor quality. If you don't like Caprica then return to the soil.

November 21 2011 at 9:53 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Enigma

Good riddance to this beyond boring show, so many better ones on Syfy. Alphas is superb!

August 31 2011 at 8:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Enigma's comment
Patrick Carr

you got to be kidding me. Alphas is one of the most stupid shows we have ever seen. even my wife hates it and she isn't that fussy. Caprica was excellent

November 15 2011 at 1:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Giggles

Sad sad sad to see this show go. Would often replay episodes on DVR... guess I'll have to find another show with good plot lines.

July 26 2011 at 9:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jalen

This was an excellent series ... with a superb cast ... well written ... high production values.

Unfortunately ... it tried to make people think.

But people want to watch Rocky, or Lady Gaga ... or hoarders.

July 08 2011 at 12:23 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jalen

Unfortunately ... it tried to make people think.

But people want to watch Rocky, or Lady Gaga ... or hoarders.

July 08 2011 at 12:22 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Gilles Charette

Strange they would cancel a show with so much backing by big tobacco... I am sure they went through 2 packs of cigarettes in a show. Funny they didn't have the kids smoking since that is the target audience... Aside from all the smoking which is probably the biggest turnoff, the show was actually decent, better than a lot of shows that continue season after season. Is big tobacco going broke?

May 21 2011 at 11:30 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bob

I am a fan of the show and it’s too bad the show got cancelled, but as I found today there is an option to view older episodes at www.dishonline.com. A benefit to being a DISH Network customer and employee is that I can watch thousands of shows for free at www.dishonline.com, this includes some Caprica episodes.

April 07 2011 at 2:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Josh Guyette

I am a big fan of SG1, Atlantis, Firefly, and Caprica. These show are the only SciFi (in general, not just on SyFy) series that I've watched in the last DECADE (it was a bad decade for SciFi, compared to the 90's). I just got done watching the last 5 episode of Caprica on Hulu about an hour ago. I went to Google to find out when the new episodes are beginning, and found this instead. It just floors me that they keep Stargate Universe and Sanctuary going, and they cancel Caprica. Sanctuary - I couldn't even stand the pilot episode. SG Universe made me sick that the show is written like a soap; chapters of one long story, instead of interconnected episodes. While I really liked the "one long story" design in Caprica, it was a BIG turn off for SG Universe and is the reason I stopped watching the show after it went on break. SyFy, you have failed us, your CEO should resign in disgrace. SyFy is like a crazy girlfriend that you really love, but who keeps breaking-up with, cheating on you, and then wants to get back together; and at first you say yes; but in the end you are just going to get burned again. You have lost this SciFi fan forever, this relationship is finally over! No more toying with my emotions.

March 30 2011 at 4:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply