October 1, 2014
TV's Best Video Clips - Updated Daily

Joan Rivers Criticizes Whoopi for Defending Mel Gibson (VIDEO)

by Donald Deane, posted Oct 27th 2010 3:30PM
Joan Rivers criticizes Whoopi Goldberg for comments she's made in the past in defense of Mel Gibson on 'The View' (weekdays, syndicated), and things get tense between the two to the point where Barbara Walters intercedes.

"I said that he was a friend of mine and I didn't think he was a racist having spent a lot of time with him," said Goldberg, clarifying her defense of Gibson.

"It's not about one-on-one," replied Rivers. "It's about everybody. We all can like an individual."

"Yeah, but also, Joan, you know folks say dumb stuff all the time," Goldberg said, referring to Gibson's taped argument with estranged girlfriend Oksana Grigorieva, in which in he used racial slurs.

"Let's not do this! Let's not do this now, please!" Walters said, attempting to calm the two women. "This is just a very sweet little daytime show."

Arillyn60

PLEASE people give me a break, Joan Rivers and Whoopi are has beens....get some new blood. The VIEW as far as I am concerned is not worth watching.

October 28 2010 at 9:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Judy Robinson

To Reasonable. You can call it what you want, but a Mosque is a Mosque. They can have all the religious freedom they want, but anyone with a little common sense, knows they only want it in that spot for a reason. So they can say "In your face" They have been offered other locations, and I just saw Donald Trump say he offered 25% over what was paid for the site, and was turned down. Now who in their right mind would not take the money and move somewhere else. Except, then it would not be right there to remind everyone. I don't believe all muslims are radical, but when they can't see that this is wrong, then maybe there is a problem.

October 28 2010 at 2:40 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
LyMan(Nature Boy)

" I LOVE JOAN RIVERS "

October 28 2010 at 2:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ken

Joan Rivers is always right-on. Whoopi is a no-talent dog. We jews need Jaon Rivers, a woman who fights musims and ricans

October 28 2010 at 2:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
renee

Marcy Shamb, get real..... you have the right to think what you want... just as everyone else does....my point is that who does she think she is... she isnt anyone to be tryin to tell anyone anything... I don't blame her for what she did not one little bit.... and ms rivers or whatever her real name is needs to shut the puck up and crawl back onto that plastic surgeons table where she clearly lives....

October 28 2010 at 1:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Catherine McGaughey

I care for neither, because of her status Whoopi thinks her opinion should be accepted by everyone as gosple.and Joan is just as bad. I think the ladies should keep quiet and let the people make up their own minds

October 28 2010 at 1:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
natalie

Oh com eon..this is coming from the most hypocritcal bitchb on the planet. She makes horrible comments about people and their looks and lives and cut them to shreds and it's supposed to be FUNNY?? At least Mel has an excuse, he is an addict. Joan is just a mean, ugly hag. And so is he no talent daughter.

October 28 2010 at 1:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jcole72722

Reasonable...you have a very valid point, however, so the others that are asking that the Mosque be built in another location, not that it not be built. There is a time for compassion. If we went to Iraq and built a secular center near their bombed out headquarters, how do you think they'd react?

October 28 2010 at 1:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
darius

I agree, people say a lot of dumb things, and not necessarily mean it, I wouldnt condemn Mel Gibson for saying things, condemn him for doing things and from what I have seen he is not a racist neither is he an anti-semite

October 28 2010 at 1:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to darius's comment
Julie

I'm curious as to what you've seen that leads you to think he is NOT a racist or anti-semite? Specifics, please.

October 28 2010 at 2:49 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
darius

his ex wife, who defends him, not too many ex's defend their ex husbands unless they are being falsley labailed and screwed over

October 28 2010 at 3:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jamie

holymoly 'the view' is turning into an everyday
real live tv 'bitchfest'...!!!
y r these women being allowed to act-out their own
personal emotions like this? .. y?
pleez gime better tv then this...!!!!!!!!!

October 28 2010 at 1:40 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply