October 25, 2014

Oprah Bans the B-Word, Conan O'Brien to Broadcast 'Show Zero' and More

by Jean Bentley, posted Oct 28th 2010 6:00PM
Oprah WinfreyNo "bitches" will be allowed on the Oprah Winfrey Network.

In a speech at Maria Shriver's Women's Conference in California, Winfrey promised to ban the word "bitch" from her new cable channel. Instead, OWN will be "fun and entertaining without tearing people down and calling them bitches. Imagine that. Imagine."

OWN debuts Jan. 1 and will include shows featuring Gayle King, fashion guru Carson Kressley and chef Cat Cora, among others. Winfrey told the conference audience that she was "destined" to launch the channel.

"Growing up, I could never find my name on any of those license plates or lunchboxes," she said. "Now, I know what it was for -- to start my own network. A whole network, a whole channel that we're designing to carry the Oprah Winfrey message. I know that as I start out on this next chapter, there's going to be some mistakes. I know there's going to be some stumbles. I know I'm a work in process and progress. I know nothing new is perfect, but I'm not scared. I'm not afraid."

In other TV news ...

Conan O'Brien will air a 'Show Zero' online before his show's TBS debut. Can't wait this excruciating final week before Conan O'Brien returns to television with his new TBS late-night talk show, 'Conan'? Team Coco feels your pain. That's why TeamCoco.com, along with Facebook and YouTube, will live stream 'Show Zero' on Monday night at 11PM ET/8PM PT.

O'Brien promises the warm-up will include celebrity guests, The Basic Cable Band and sidekick extraordinaire Andy Richter and will be broadcast live from the Conaco Production offices in Burbank.

Speaking of OWN, Carson Kressly will get a solo show on the network. In addition to hosting 'Your Own Show,' the former 'Queer Eye for the Straight Guy' guru will headline makeover series 'Carson-Nation.' [Deadline]

ABC's 'Modern Family' aired its most-watched episode ever last night. Preliminary ratings show 13.1 million viewers tuning in and a 5.1 adult demo rating. [The Hollywood Reporter]

'Facts of Life' star Mindy Cohn will appear on TLC's 'What Not to Wear' Friday night. She follows in the footsteps of 'Blossom' herself, Mayim Bialik, who was featured in an episode last season. [PopWatch]

Showtime is developing a half-hour comedy based on the blog ImBoyCrazy.com. The show will follow a woman (played by the blog's writer, Alexi Wasser) "looking for love, purpose, and the meaning of her life, one dude at a time. It follows her as she tries to navigate the world of sexuality in the post-modern society of Los Angeles while trying to find real love." [Deadline]

Cablevision customers have filed a class-action lawswuit against their provider for depriving them of Fox content. The plaintiffs are asking for $450 million, or the equivalent of a one-month rebate for all of Cablevision's 3 million customers. [The Hollywood Reporter]

In casting news: Mechad Brooks will join USA's 'Necessary Roughness' pilot, and the Lifetime pilot 'Against the Wall' has added three new cast members. Brooks will play a wide receiver who bonds with his therapist, while Marisa Ramirez, Brandon Quinn and and Chris Johnson will play coworker, brother and friend, respectively, to the cop lead of 'Against the Wall.' [Deadline]

Jan Rayl

Personally I don't find the need to call anyone a bitch or for that matter hoe or pimp. What is all this name-calling and crassness? Where is it all coming from and why. Go ahead, enlighten me.

October 31 2010 at 5:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Krystal

One thing about Oprah, when she donates something to someone , you always know how much and to whom... Wow how impressive. I have lost a great deal of respect for her in the last few years, and yes it is time for her to go.

October 31 2010 at 11:52 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Zarathustra

She aught to ban the words ''BLUBBER BUTT'' too.

October 31 2010 at 5:49 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
trbnchsr

The only people that give a crap about what that big-mouthed fat sow Oprah says, are brain-dead white women who can't make a decision for themselves...they would all jump off the nearest bridge and kill themselves if the almighty ape told them to.

October 31 2010 at 5:28 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
twister1

I read every comment on Oprah's banning of the B word on her Network. I also agree that the word should be ban along with other derogatory words aimed at Whites,Blacks, Blacks on Blacks, Mexiacan American, Asians, American Indians and every human being on God's earth. I was shocked to read so much hate for a human being along with the comment made about President Obama. One would surely believe that we are still living in the 50's and 60's. How sad, so sad, at this time, one is unable to agree that she/anyone else for that matter is not a female dog.
It is also of my opinion/belief that Oprah has done wonders for many people. The color of their skin has not stopped her willingness to help others. On the comment stating that Oprah is not God. She is, however, a child of God and so are you.

Your dislike/haterd for her will not erase the gifts( tax exampt or not) she provided to others for over 25 years.
Lastly, i must tell you that i was blessed with three children, 13 grand children(from 28 to 6) and one great-grandson. I know that when with their peers, act differently to include using such words and doing their "own thing" , which of course, i disapprove. However, i forever pray that they respect themselves with high esteem. If they do, it will always be easy to respect others.
I dare to say that hate is a learned behavior. I thank God that my father for he was wise man. "Look to the eyes of man, and you can see his soul". I have no idea of who said it first but when my father said it, i believed it. I had to see the goodness in people to survive and I see that goodness in Oprah Winfrey.

October 31 2010 at 4:22 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Preston

Personally, I think the B-word has gotten out of hand, especially on many shows such as the controversial reality shows on the cable networks. It's disrespectful and hurtful at times,gets old very quick when being said and Oprah Winfrey doesn't want that filthy word said on her network. She's taking the high road and showing a positive aspect of women on the various shows on her new network.

October 31 2010 at 3:31 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tom Cole

Bitch, bitch, bitch, bitch, bitch.

October 31 2010 at 3:31 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
RamirezR2003

OPRAH! Is as human, as you and I are. However, for a few of you in here. I doubt that!
I have been blessed to have met her TWICE, within a course of 30 years. Still, is the same woman she was, when I first met her, sat with, and talked her, one on one. NO, not on her show. Just at a small gathering of people. She was, and still is an AWESOME, woman. I am a man in my late 50's. She, has, grace,finess, intelligance, respect, FUNNY as heck, but most of all, she is OPRAH! She is a WOMAN, in process and too progress. What are YOU doing with YOUR life right at this moment, sitting on you FAT A**, B*tching? Hum? Makes you wonder why YOU'RE always the VICTUM of things in your life. BTW? I'm not in here to WIN a SPELLING BEE!!

October 31 2010 at 2:52 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Geegee Davis

And in your case, once a jackass, always a jackass.

October 31 2010 at 1:43 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Geegee Davis

Money is power... Oprah has plenty of it. Money talks.. The love of money is the root of all evil. Money and power corrupt. Oprah is no more than the rest of us. Remember that. Oprah is not God. Only God is God.. and He knows all we say, think and do. He knows my heart, your heart, Oprah's heart, and Obama's heart ( if he has one). Each of you makes his/her own mind up about what you will do in this lifetime. Bow to no human. Bow to God only.

October 31 2010 at 1:41 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply