April 24, 2014

Sharon Osbourne, 'Mike & Molly' Creator Mark Roberts Speak Out Against 'Hateful' Marie Claire Blog About 'Fatties'

by Jean Bentley, posted Oct 28th 2010 10:00AM
'Mike & Molly'When Marie Claire blogger Maura Kelly wrote that she was uncomfortable watching the two main characters on CBS sitcom 'Mike & Molly' making out because they were so overweight, she surely knew she'd encounter some sort of backlash. Now Mark Roberts, creator of the offending show, and 'The Talk' host Sharon Osbourne have spoken out against the article, calling it "hateful" and "deplorable."

"I think I'd be grossed out if I had to watch two characters with rolls and rolls of fat kissing each other, because I'd be grossed out if I had to watch them doing anything," Kelly wrote in a blog on the magazine's website.

Roberts told The Hollywood Reporter, "My initial reaction is she's talking about [Billy Gardell and Melissa McCarthy] and I love them; I feel protective and angry about people being loose-lipped. I guess hateful is the only way to describe [the post]."

Osbourne, on the other hand, took a less diplomatic approach, calling Kelly a "discredit to other women" and a "bitch" on her daytime CBS show, 'The Talk.' "If this woman was here, I tell you, she would get such a mouthful from me," Osbourne said. "People like this are adding to the problem that we have today with our kids - boys and girls - about being anorexic, about having low self-esteem...I'm 30 pounds overweight right now, should I not be allowed to kiss my husband or my children, or walk across a room?"

Ultimately, Roberts said he was upset that Kelly was only concentrating on the "aesthetic." "I don't think of anybody by their body type, certainly not people that I work with and love and respect," he told THR. "I think of them as unbelievably talented people who captured these characters and brought them to life. I struggled with weight all my life, and I don't know how to address this without being angry with somebody else's stupidity about other human beings."

Related:
TV Squad's Joel Keller on the controversy: The Only Thing Offensive About 'Mike & Molly' is the Fat Jokes

Carole Mascenik

I absolutely love "Mike & Molly". Very rarely watch sitcoms but this one is something special. Always adored Melissa McCarthy on Gilmore Girls. It is nice to know that TV can divert some of the attention from plastic faces,surgically enhanced bodies and horrendous writing to something genuinely fun and endearing. Hope the show has a long run.

November 08 2010 at 11:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Leroy

Getting the magazine lots of publicity is her job. She did a great job of that by showing how petty she is. She'll probably get a raise and be encouraged to write more of the same.

October 28 2010 at 3:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
irishmary24

To Maura Kelly (such a shame you have a good Irish name that you've sullied) : I've never once read the magazine Marie Claire. I do watch the show Mike and Molly. I love Melissa McCarthy in this role, as I loved her as Sookie on the Gilmore Girls. The others actors are very good, too. That is the point. They are great actors, no matter their size. You're trying to start controversy where there is none. You've rattled the bigots out of the walls, including yourself- people who hate fat people and people who hate skinny people. Everyone has a spokesperson. If you don't like to see fat people, turn off the show, and if you don't like skinny people, don't watch. That sends a message the tv producers understand beautifully. The above mentioned show is doing pretty well. The actors are great!

October 28 2010 at 11:25 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mary Sparks

I find it very sad that any person would comment on others in the way that Maura Kelly did. I am very saddened by her remarks and that she could be so insensitive to others in that manner. I have struggled with a weight problem all my life and a day doesn't go by that I would love to be thin and stay that way. I have been thin at different times in my life, but mostly I have been overweight. I do not make comments on others and make them feel lesser just because I don't like their size. Either thin or overweight. It is a choice some may say, but some of us may have chemical imbalances or maybe we just like to eat more than the average person. I figure if she doesn't have to pay for my food or take care of my Doctor bills then it should not be her right to comment in such a hurtful manner. Once you walk in the shoes of another please don't comment unless maybe you are willing to lend a hand to those that may be suffering on the inside and obviously on the outside.

October 28 2010 at 11:02 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
JD

Hey Maura Kelly, you're not something special to look at yourself

October 28 2010 at 10:10 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply