October 31, 2014
TV's Best Video Clips - Updated Daily

Who Won 'Project Runway' Season 8? (VIDEO)

by Oliver Miller, posted Oct 29th 2010 5:45AM
Who Won 'Project Runway' Season 8?The goal of 'Project Runway' -- as described by Tim Gunn's catchphrase -- is to "Make it work." Of course, it's a lot of work to make it work, and not everyone can handle it. Some players don't have the talent, some don't have the drive. It takes 14 weeks to sort the good from the bad.

But nothing lasts forever -- not even the lengthiest season of 'Runway' ever. And so we reached the finale (Thu., 9PM ET on Lifetime). Three finalists remained: Andy South, Gretchen Jones, and Mondo Guerra. Who would win? Heidi Klum called it the "toughest decision" in the show's history -- but really, it was and it wasn't.

[Warning: Spoiler alert.]

One part was easy. The judges swiftly eliminated Andy, who messed up by adorning his models with distracting headdresses. This left Gretchen vs. Mondo. The initial consensus was that Mondo deserved the prize.

Still, there was a lot of debate. Heidi admired Gretchen's accessories -- but the show is about the clothes, not the add-ons. Guest judge Jessica Simpson liked Mondo's boldness; Nina Garcia thought his collection was overwhelming. At one point, Gracia even suggested giving both players the crown. Would we have our first tie in 'Runway' history?

No -- we would not. Heidi put Mondo and Gretchen on the catwalk ... and after an endless pause, declared Gretchen the winner of 'Runway' Season 8. Jones wept, while Mondo was gracious in defeat -- he said he lost the contest, but won "so much more." But it was a controversial choice. Mondo was the fan favorite; guests at the fashion show seemed to like his collection better. What do you think? Should Mondo have won? Are you happy with Gretchen as the champion?

Debraswenson

I quit watching project runway two seasons ago after the terrible decisions they make. It is just about ratings and is not truely a show to help the designers who truely have talent. Quit watching the show. The three judges are terrible and are so into themselves. Watch their face they are constantly looking for a camera. Plus, Heidi never has been a beauty model. She got lucky and was at the right place at the right time. Get over it and watch something else. Project Runway isn't worth watching.

November 04 2010 at 6:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
spaguyaz

I stopped watching PR when you left the other network. That was a BAD move. I caught the last episode or two (reluctantly) and KNEW without a doubt that this season wasn't worth following. TO make matters even WORSE...you all picked a BAD CHOICE TO WIN. If you are fashion "experts" I shudder to think what the future will reveal. Michael and Mondo equally are FAR more talented as designers than the swamp witch hippy chick you chose as winner. Count me out and many friends out as viewers. Be well and good luck!

November 01 2010 at 2:38 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Beverlee

I can't believe they took all that time to deliberate just to give it to Gretchen. I could find the clothes she made in any store. It lacked imagination. Although, I would not wear Mondo's clothes they were exciting and creative and certainlyl not safe. Shame on you Project Runway!!!

October 31 2010 at 5:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
cynthia

I was sooooo shocked that Gretchen won as well. I am 51 and I would never were anything that she put out there all season, so she made her own jewelry etc. but the items she had on the model are something you can buy anywhere in the southwest. Not one piece looked new. And as far as Kors and Nina saying she understands where fashion us going, not anywhere I would go. Micheal C should have made it to the finals she should have been sent home. Andy and Mondo were out of the 3 clear winners. Mondo should have won. I do not think Gretchens designs will make it to the runways in Hollywood anytime soon.

October 31 2010 at 4:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
idolfan

YUCK! I can't believe that Gretchen's collection won! What in the H*** were they thinking? Her collection was the worst of the three, in my opinion. I would never buy her ugly brown, beige, dowdy dumpy clothes. Mondo should have won. There was such a division in the 4 judges. Garica said she would wear Gretchn's clothes, and I'm thinking I can picture her in the dumpy, drab outfits & Heidi said she would wear Mondo's. Hello?? Need I say more??

October 29 2010 at 2:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Christine Roy

Gretchen? Really? Her clothes are sooooooo boring. And, why didn't anyone comment on the granny pantie pants she forced the first model and another to wear. Where was all the hate that April had to endure earlier in the season when she showed similar diaper shorts. Out of the three collections, Mondo should have one. I preferred Andy's style during the season but not his finale collection.

October 29 2010 at 12:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Oscar

Gretchen's collection looked like something you'd find at GoodWill. How she made it into the finals is beyond me, much less that she was given the win. Mondo's clothes were much more creative, more fun, more beautiful. As were Michael C's and Andy's. This makes having endured her intentional bitchiness throughout the season even more unbearable.

October 29 2010 at 12:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dorothy

I spent the entire season waiting for Gretchen to be sent home. Of COURSE she won! Should have been Michael C, but after he was booted I wanted to see Mondo get it. Oh well. Guess it pays to be bitchy!

October 29 2010 at 12:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
TB

Mondo should have won - Gretchens clothes were boring & all looked the same. I dont think Gretchen even won a single challenge throughout the whole season. Mondo won several & his final runway look was way more creative than hers.

October 29 2010 at 12:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
bearboysnc

They should retitle the show Project Chico's (boring clothes for middle aged women)

October 29 2010 at 11:40 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply