October 31, 2014

Got TV-related questions? Ask Them Now!

by Maureen Ryan, posted Nov 1st 2010 2:14PM
Last time I asked you all for questions, I got a lot of great responses. Many thanks!

I answered quite a few questions in this recent 'Ask Mo' column, and please tune in to this week's 'Talking TV with Ryan & Ryan' -- Ryan McGee and I get to a few more of last week's queries in this week's podcast.

I'm happy to say that 'Ask Mo' is going to be a regular feature, and I'd like to get more questions from you, pretty please. Leave your questions below, hit me on Twitter or email them to me when you get a chance. I'll answer as many as a feasibly can in a column that will be posted tomorrow afternoon.

As I mentioned last time, I'm more likely to be able to answer questions about scripted television -- I'm not anti-reality but I haven't been watching unscripted TV as much of late. And I won't be able to answer every question that comes in, but know in advance that I appreciate your participation and I'll certainly try to answer as many as I can.

Jack

According To Jim - Season 5 e2 The Tale of the Tape

what song was on "special blues tape". I want the name of that song..

February 12 2014 at 7:48 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
kurt

Why hasn't 20th Century released NYPD Blue season 5 and on? Only season 1 thru 4 are available.

November 03 2010 at 10:00 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Craig Ranapia

There have been a few high profile film directors on the TV schedules recently -- Martin Scorsese (Boardwalk Empire) and Frank Darabont (The Walking Dead). I know its nothing new, but any thoughts on how well feature film directors do, or don't, make the transition to the small screen and its very different requirements and restraints?

November 02 2010 at 5:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kimmer

Hi Mo!
If you could offer one piece of advice to a new show runner. What would it be?

Also. You've got the best job in the world! Rock on!

November 02 2010 at 1:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Long Hong

My question is in regards to Chuck. I was wondering how you feel overall about the season thus far, but I was more curious about chances of renewal, especially when a full order season would finally allow Chuck to go into syndication.

Given that Chuck's ratings numbers are still stable compared to other new NBC dramas, I want to believe that there is one more season of Chuck. Additionally, if Chuck were to get one more season, where do you think the show should stop? Is Chuck sustainable for more that 5 seasons worth of show?

November 02 2010 at 12:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
olddarth

Hi Mo.

Could you expound on what makes Mad Men compelling for you? Is it the story? The era? Is it the characters - this would be interesting because the main ones seem so unlikeable? A combination of all of them?

Would a Mad Men type show work in another era or is the era the core of the show?

The show seems like a high production soap opera. How would you pitch the series to someone unconvinced or ambivalent?

Or is that even possible?

From someone trying to find an 'in' to the show.

November 02 2010 at 11:22 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
The Hoobie

Hi Mo,

I was wondering if you had any thoughts on whether The Walking Dead's staggering premiere ratings could help Rubicon get renewed or could hurt its case. It's always hard to mind-read a TV network, but do you think after its Monster Hit AMC will be *more willing to sustain a struggling show or *less willing?

Although I hope that AMC renews the show *today and makes this question moot by tomorrow afternoon!

November 02 2010 at 11:10 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
sanford sklansky

How come family channel stopped airing Friday Night Lights? Are they ever going to put it back on the air? Will some other cable network pick it up?

November 02 2010 at 12:00 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
harvey

I'm just going to link the open letter to Syfy on TV.com because that guy really hits the nail on the head.

November 01 2010 at 3:49 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Chris

Mo,

What are you top 5 scripted tv shows of ALL TIME?

What are some of the worst shows you've been obligated to cover?

Thanks,