October 23, 2014

Get to Know Zachary Levi: 7 Facts About the 'Chuck' and 'Tangled' Star

by AOL TV Staff, posted Nov 1st 2010 12:00AM
Zachary Levi'Chuck' star Zachary Levi, is known for being one of America's unlikeliest spies. Now he's getting animated in the new Disney movie movie 'Tangled,' which puts an interesting twist on the classic story of Rapunzel.

Levi started performing at the age of 6, appearing in many stage productions of classics such as 'Grease,' 'The Wizard of Oz' and 'The Outsiders.'

But did you know he's had to seek emergency treatment for an injury he sustained while playing video games? Or that he has quite a set of pipes on him?

Here are 7 interesting facts about the 'Chuck' and 'Tangled' star ...

1. Mandy Moore, Levi's 'Tangled' co-star, was surprised by his singing voice.
Moore told Hollywood Crush that audiences will also be a bit shocked -- in a good way -- when Levi belts out his tunes. "They wanted to cast actors in the roles who could also sing, and I had no idea that he sang, and it turns out he's like a big musical-theater nut and had that in his background," Moore said. "He has a beautiful voice, but he has the perfect voice for something like this. He's such a sweet guy, and he's so funny in the movie, but I think his voice will astonish people."

2. He has "super" aspirations.
Levi, an admitted nerd, would love to play Superman. Over the summer, rumors swirled about Zachary Levi auditioning for the role, but BuzzSugar confirmed that Levi will not be strapping on a red cape anytime soon. "Of course, I'd love to play Superman."

3. He's very spiritual.
Levi was raised Christian and said in an interview with Relevant Magazine that it's hard to be a Christian man in Hollywood. "The atmosphere in Hollywood in general is very anti-conservative, very anti-Christian. The liberal segment of Hollywood, which is 80 percent of it if not more, they look at Christians as hypocrites that are false and fake." Rather than argue with people, Levi said he'd rather wait for co-workers to ask him where he gets his peace, talent and love from, then he "can turn to them and say without blinking, 'Jesus Christ.'"

4. Levi, a very musical person, performed a duet with Katharine McPhee and appeared in her 'Terrified' video.

5. His favorite Disney movie is 'Aladdin.'
"'Aladdin' is probably, if I had to pick one movie that was my favorite Disney movie, it would be 'Aladdin,'" Levi told Collider.com. "The animation was great and Robin Williams was just unbelievable as the Genie, and the music, Alan Menken, was so good. It was just an amazing adventure you get to go on and it was finally a hero for the guys."

6. He's passionate about 'Chuck.'
Levi has campaigned hard for his NBC series, 'Chuck' to remain on the air. The show has perpetually been on the cancellation bubble since its inception and Levi has worked with fans on renewal campaigns. In 2009, Levi and 600 fans marched into a Subway restaurant in Britain to show their support for the series. Subway was a major 'Chuck' sponsor.

7. He received bodily harm while playing Nintendo's Wii.
Yes, Levi received 14 stitches after an incident playing Wii. "The first night I hooked up my Wii, me and a couple of buddies were playing Wii Sports, and I was killing it," he told GQ. "I go for this overhead smash, and I put my hand through the light fixture above me in my living room. I won that battle, and I won 14 stitches because of it."

Michèle Sheaff

@Abbey

I'm a woman and I'm Catholic, which is a Christian religion, and yes women are deemed inferior, starting with the fact the Church doesn't think we're good enough to become priests.

July 05 2012 at 12:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Abbey

May I just set the record straight... I am a Christian and happen to be female. There is no thought of inferiority toward women in Christianity, in fact it is one religion that brings equality to women. Jesus went to Samaria to specifically talk to a women when ordinarily that was against his culture. Aside from that there are many women mentioned in the Bible. Second, my Lord and Savior was Jewish, why on earth would I feel any kind of animosity toward Jews? Not once have I heard a Christian call a Jewish person an infidel. I have a special place in my heart for the Jewish people. Homosexuals are not "sick" either, just another person we're commanded to love. As for foreigners being untrustworthy and so forth, I really have to question where you have gotten all of this misinformation. Have you ever met a true Christian? Maybe then you'd see we're not all that bad.

As for Zachary Levi, I applaud you for your public profession of faith. I've been a huge fan of Chuck since the first episode and watch every episode. I watched Tangled at first because I knew he was in it. And great voice!!

March 30 2011 at 4:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Fibi

True Christians are not hypocritical. They do not use the word infidel unless they are quoting what some Muslims call Americans and others. If someone is a Christian, and if they truly believe that Jesus is their Lord and Savior, they would not pass any judgment as it is God who can do that, not us. So, let's just leave ALL the stereotypes where they belong and let him be and he will let everyone else be, as he obviously has... Let's not equate "Republican" with "Christian" or any other political agenda... There is no bigotry or elitism in a true Christian. It is between the individual person and God. There is no room for elitism in Christianity. You know and I know that there are a lot of bigots and elitists in EVERY religion, every political party, every socioeconomic bracket, and every gender or sexual preference... God Bless you Zachary!!! Where do you think Christianity came from??? Jesus was Jewish!!!!!

November 08 2010 at 10:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Melisa

What a sweetheart!! I have loved "Chuck" from the first episode, and hope it goes on for years to come. So refreshing to hear about a truly nice guy in Hollywood.

November 08 2010 at 9:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
J. M. Gray

I love Chuck. I love it even more now that I know more about Zachary Levi. The perfect person to play Chuck. There are so few upbeat shows on TV, at least shows that aren't just plain stupid. Chuck can be suspenseful and make you smile while they are going through all the stuff they go through. I vote that they keep it.

November 08 2010 at 5:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Patriot

People in Hollywood are NOT "anti-conservative" or "anti-Christian". They just simply refuse to believe that women are inferior, gay and lesbian Americans are "sick", Jews are "infidels", foreigners are "untrustworthy/lazy", and the like. They believe in such (American) concepts as equality for ALL people, that men and women are equal, and that the so-called "Christian" Right (which is neithyer) cannot trample all over the rights of others. That's great that this guy has a religion he likes, but no, Mr. Levi (he's a Christian with a Jewish name??), we will NOT buy into your brand of bigotry, hate, and elitism that you are somehow "better" than everyone else just because you're some religion. "Christians" are no better -- and no worse -- than anyone else. Being pro-equality is not the same as being "anti-conservative" or "anti-Christian". This guy has a lot of growing up to do if he's going to make it in this diverse world.

November 08 2010 at 12:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ralphgmiami

CHUCK is such a great show that it's just a matter of time before it becomes an icon. I also think that all the actors who star on Chuck are great people. You don't read about them in the tabloids. You won't see them arrested for DUI or hitting their significant other. I'm hoping that in real life Chuck winds up with actress Yvonne Strahovski, who plays Sarah on Chuck. They'd be perfect for each other. The guy deserves the best. I bet if they wound up together that they'd stay that way for life.

November 01 2010 at 11:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply