July 29, 2014
TV's Best Video Clips - Updated Daily

Elisabeth Hasselbeck Is Outraged She Wasn't Asked for I.D. Before Voting (VIDEO)

by Alex Moaba, posted Nov 2nd 2010 12:48PM
Today is election day, a day when millions of Americans will venture to the polls to exercise their democratic right to vote. Elisabeth Hasselbeck voted this morning, and came back to the set of 'The View,' (weekdays, 11 AM, ABC) outraged that she wasn't asked for I.D. "I need an I.D. to get a beer, I need an I.D. to rent a movie, I need an I.D. to go to the gym, why don't I need an I.D. to vote?" she vented to the ladies of the panel.

Sherri Shepherd interjected that people do need to present identification in order to register to vote, but often not actually at the polls. She also offered the historical perspective that asking for several pieces of I.D. at polling places has been used as a means to prevent African-Americans and Latinos from voting in decades past. Elisabeth didn't seem too receptive to this argument. "I think they should have everyone show I.D.," she replied, raising her voice steadily until Barbara Walters had to let out a "Shhhh" to calm everyone down.

Elisabeth's argument does make sense, even if it's not very understanding of the touchy politics around the the I.D. issue. In modern times, why shouldn't showing a valid I.D. be a standard part of how America votes? Then again, part of democracy's charm is its messy imperfections. At least we're not talking about 'hanging chads' and 'butterfly ballots' anymore, right?

Rdwmn

As an election official in my state, it is against the law to ask for photo ID; it was made law b/c of past abuses, i.e. using a DL to deny some ( poor;ethnic groups, etc) the right to vote. ( not everybody drives, believe it or not) I agree it should be changed, but other voting process reforms are needed along with that change. Elizabeth H is a loudmouth nobody; I could care less what a "Survivor" ex-contestant has to say, why she's on the show at all just astounds me. I am tired of EH and stopped watching "The View" after her last public debacle. She lowers the overall tone of the show, Barbara would be wise to pay attention to this. Oh yeah, and somebody counsel Sherrie on what's smart to say out loud and what isn't. sigh.

November 09 2010 at 4:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
kelly

Thats funny. I went to vote and my husbands name is Stacy and they asked if I was Stacy and I said yes (even thou his middle name is Mark). They gave me his lable to vote with . People should have to show ID to vote, dems dont want that cuz then the dead can't vote.

November 09 2010 at 1:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
scanner59

I've been voting since 1972, and no one has ever asked me for ID. Ever.

November 09 2010 at 1:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Norma

What does Sherri mean, "only blacks have to show their IDs?"
Hasn't that old chestnut gotten enough press? I have to show a PHOTO ID every time I vote. And, please don't insult my intelligence by telling me that it is hard to get an OFFICIAL PHOTO ID. I have one, my daughters have one, my husband has one, my grandchildren have them, and all of my neighbors have them. What is the big deal? People have plenty of time to get an official PHOTO ID before elections are run. Those that do most of the complaining are just to d--- lazy to get off their butts and get an OFFICIAL PHOTO ID. AND, as usual they can get it for FREE! I am sure our taxes are paying for plenty of them. And for the record, did anyone beside me ever wonder why only democrats have trouble voting. They are the only ones who claim to have been blocked from going to the polls. (Lies) The only ones who can't seem to read who they are voting for, and the only ones who have hanging CHADS.....HMMMMMMM? And my very favorite piece of garbage......they are the only ones who seem to find mysterious EXTRA, NEVER BEFORE SEEN, BAGS OF BALLOTS THAT WERE FOUND ACCIDENTALLY, WHEN THE VOTES ARE TOO CLOSE TO CALL..........HMMMM? AGAIN! AND WHEN THEY COUNT THESE NEVER BEFORE SEEN BALLOTS.....ALL OF THEM ARE FOR THE DEMOCRAT CANDIDATE.....HMMMM? A THIRD TIME.

November 09 2010 at 12:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
susola2010

Sorry, have to agree with Elizabeth on this one. I vote in NYC and was sort of astonished that they didn't ask me for I.D. this time.

November 08 2010 at 6:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Nicole

You must provide proof of identification when you register, then when you walk into the polls they ask you your exact address and cross out your name so others cannot claim they are you. Elizabeth needs to find a hobby besides whining, or at least remove that 4 foot long stick shoved up her a**.

November 08 2010 at 4:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Susie

Elizabeth should move to Georgia, where our legislators made a big deal out of everyone having to show a picture ID to vote--even though they couldn't produce one instance of anyone voting illegally without. If she moves to GA, she could also have to sign her life away every time she votes (card to fill in and sign) in addition to showing her photo ID and already being on the registered voters list. Can we say, Someone doesn't want SOME PEOPLE to vote?

November 08 2010 at 3:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Anne-Marie

When you register to vote, a voters registration card was send to you, at least when I first voted back in 1970. They should require you to carry your voter's registration card when you vote. It should have your signature and a picture. I know that we have to sign in when you vote and they match your signature to the previous one. However, a voter cards would make sense along with signing in to vote.

November 08 2010 at 3:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kris

I actually asked when I went to the polls in Illinois why they don't check ID, because that has always bothered me. The election official told me that they actually compare my signature at the polls with the signature in their book from my initial registration. If they don't match, they check ID. So it may be they are verifying your identity in other ways.

November 08 2010 at 1:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
karen

I think that Elizabeth is absolutely right! YOu can walk in and vote under someone else's name. It is crazy. I live in Connecticut and where I live, I was asked for ID. It is not an issue of race - how would you feel if you went to vote and found that someone else went in and was told that someone claiming to be you (they did not have to show ID) already cast a vote using your name?

November 07 2010 at 9:19 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply