December 22, 2014

NBC Cancels 'Undercovers'

by Chris Harnick, posted Nov 4th 2010 4:20PM
UndercoversNBC has canceled 'Undercovers.'

According to the Live Feed, the J.J. Abrams spy series will air its final three episodes in the coming weeks.

A few weeks ago, NBC handed out back nine orders to new shows such as 'The Event,' 'Outsourced' and 'Law & Order: Los Angeles,' but left 'Undercovers' off the list.

The series, starring Boris Kodjoe and Gugu Mbatha-Raw, dazzled advertisers and critics with its trailer, but failed to impress when full episodes began hitting the screen. Hailed as one of the most diverse new shows of the fall (both the show's leads are black), the series never gained traction in Nielsen ratings.

The show drew 8.57 million viewers with its series premiere, not a very high number for a buzzed-about show. The viewers began steadily fleeing, with the Oct. 27 episode only bringing in 5.45 million viewers. 'Mercy' held the same timeslot as 'Undercovers' last season and followed a similar ratings trajectory; however its numbers began to really slip in January after 10 episodes.

'Undercovers' joins 'Outlaw,' 'The Whole Truth,' 'My Generation' and 'Lone Star' in the 2010-11 canceled show graveyard.

Tell us: Are you sad to see 'Undercovers' go?

Jolie

I simple adored this show. I feel that it is a shame when a network thinks that the opinions of 5 million plus viewers should not matter. I too hope that another network picks up this show, it was a refreshinng change from what is current on television.

January 26 2011 at 10:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lisa Jones

My family loved this show and waited patiently every week for it to come on. I agree with many who say that they did not give this show a chance. I think if they would have moved it to another night or a different time slot it would have picked up more viewers. I hope that it is picked up on another channel. Many shows have moved to another channel and have done better in the ratings.

January 10 2011 at 9:49 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
weidac3

luvvvved itttttt !!!!! thought it was a good show alot better than some of the shows that make it . honestly

December 26 2010 at 5:49 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
sandi

'undercovers' should not be canceled.

December 02 2010 at 12:02 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Renee Jenkins

I was also devastated when I heard they cancelled the show. I watched it every week. I felt that it may have had difficulty because the lead characters were black. Maybe TV one or BET will pick it up. I hate to see it go. It felt good to have two intelligent, loving, faithful blacks on primetime.

November 17 2010 at 10:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
kaprece Stallings

I am devasted this show was cancelled! It was quickly becoming one of my favorites. I am urging you to put it back on.

November 17 2010 at 8:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bill

I loved the show. Fun!! Interesting!! Human!!

November 17 2010 at 4:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
LBianca

Common sense would dictate that the cancellation of this show might have been planned all along..After all putting it in an 8PM time slot was suicide....

November 15 2010 at 10:10 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
J. Hill

I totally agree!!!!

November 15 2010 at 1:53 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
J. Hill

I am so disappointed that Undercovers is cancelled!! This was one show that I really enjoyed. I have been telling everyone to watch it. Why is that being cancelled when there are so many stupid shows on?? I don't understand!!

November 15 2010 at 1:44 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply