September 1, 2014

NBC Orders More 'Community'

by Chris Harnick, posted Nov 4th 2010 10:00AM
CommunityJust call it the little show that could: NBC has ordered two more episodes of 'Community,' bringing the season 2 episode total to 24.

According to Hitfix, the order came after 'Community' saw a ratings gain during its Halloween episode. The NBC show that includes Joel McHale, Chevy Chase and Gillian Jacobs among its cast has been getting trounced in its 8PM timeslot by CBS's 'The Big Bang Theory.'

'Community's' Halloween episode aired at 8:30PM, with a 'Shrek' special in the 8PM slot. According to the Hollywood Reporter, the Halloween special of 'Community' drew 5.7 million viewers, its best ratings since last January and up 26 percent from the previous week.

The series has been averaging below 5 million viewers for most of its second season. 'The Big Bang Theory' has been pulling in around 13 million viewers this season.

Last season, NBC ordered more 'Community' too, making season 1 a 25-episode season. NBC recently also ordered more episodes of 'Chuck' and picked up the back nine episodes of new shows 'The Event,' 'Law & Order: Los Angeles,' and 'Outsourced.'

den

Fantastic. The Halloween episode was superb. I watched it twice in a row, which I have never done before with any show.

November 05 2010 at 5:04 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
bob loblaw

big bang theory doesn't do it for me, community totally does

November 04 2010 at 4:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
st3v3n

I thought it was hilarious when it premiered, but my love for the show has outgrown The Office for comedy.

November 04 2010 at 4:11 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
lmfsyrny

yep,Holloween episode was the best of the season so far..but even a so-so episode is fun to watch..NBC needs to show some patience and let the word of mouth build a solid fan base..it's kind of like BBT when it first went on-air, nobody could have predicted it would have caught on like this..My personal theory as to why some half hour comedies do so well is that it is a reflection of our lives.. the shows reveal the absurdities we see but can't usually laugh at when we're in the spot, but when we're home on the couch and see the same kind of characters and behaviors that drive us crazy during the day, we can bust out the laugh.

November 04 2010 at 2:11 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jake

"the Halloween special of 'Community' drew 5.7 million viewers..."

and it was objectively AWESOME.

"Zombie attAAAAAAAck!"

November 04 2010 at 10:36 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
wax_eagle

Ill be honest, I'm a huge BBT fan and I love community, putting them both on at the same time is torture. BUT I can watch community online or on demand. Something that the tyrants at WB/CBS won't let me do with BBT. Thus I choose to watch it when it airs and then either don't watch Community or try to catch it on demand.

November 04 2010 at 10:20 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply