July 29, 2014

'Supernatural' Spoilers: Misha Collins on Showdowns, Jumping the Shark and Getting Laid

by Laura Prudom, posted Nov 5th 2010 11:55AM
Misha CollinsWe're seriously starting to wonder whether Misha Collins might actually possess some manner of angelic superpowers.

Not only is he juggling a recurring role on 'Supernatural' with being a new father, he also somehow found time to hop across the pond and appear at Rogue Events' Asylum convention in the United Kingdom over Halloween weekend, entertaining over 600 'Supernatural' fans along with other popular guest stars like Mark Sheppard and Aldis Hodge.

Since we know that Collins is always good for a spoiler or two, we couldn't miss the opportunity to sit down with him and try to extract a little information about what's coming up for his heavenly character, Castiel, as season 6 nears its halfway point.

Proceed with caution -- spoilers ahead!

Many fans and critics -- including our own Mo Ryan -- have been missing Collins' presence on 'Supernatural' this season; when we caught up at Asylum, he revealed that he has filmed at least five episodes so far this season (out of a possible eleven, since production is just starting on episode 12), which is a little less than we're used to seeing him.

"I'm basically in every other episode," Collins confirmed -- though since he's only appeared in two of the first six episodes, we're guessing that means episodes 7 through 11 will be more satisfying for the Castiel fans who are currently suffering from withdrawal symptoms.

"I just had a baby, and I think that they may have been writing me light to accommodate that ... And it's also possible that they're writing me light because of my performance, which I would understand as well," Collins laughed, before reassuring us that "Cas will be heavier in the second half of the season than the first."

Since the charismatic Mark Sheppard was also in attendance at Asylum (and, incidentally, filming on the day that TV Squad visited the 'Supernatural' set up in Vancouver for episode 8), we couldn't help but ask if a showdown between Crowley, now positioned as "King of Hell," and Castiel, who is struggling to retain control of heaven, was in the cards.

"Yep," Collins said succinctly, looking immensely pleased with himself for giving us a shockingly direct answer. "How's that for a spoiler for ya?" He also said that Cas would kick Crowley's ass "big time," but we're not so sure that we believe him.

Not content with throwing bombshells like demon vs. angel smackdowns at us, Collins also teased about an upcoming episode (written by none other than 'Supernatural's' resident evil genius, Ben Edlund) that promises to break the fourth wall in a way that even the meta-happy 'SPN' has never seen before. Check out the video below for more on the groundbreaking concept, and to get to the bottom of those pesky rumors that Castiel might "get some" in a future episode ...

Darn, he's a tough nut to crack! We can't help but wonder who the lucky lady might be -- and how will Castiel seal the deal? We're guessing that the woman (angel? demon?) in question might be more accomplished in the art of seduction than Cas is, considering how inept he appeared during his last amorous encounter with the fairer sex, way back in early season 5 when Dean (Jensen Ackles) took the virginal angel to a brothel.

As if that wasn't enough, while he was on stage during the convention, the actor let another spoiler slip, revealing the return of Sebastian Roché, who played rebellious angel Balthazar in episode 3, although Collins didn't confirm which episode would mark his reappearance.

When he's not tantalizing the fans with spoilers, Collins still finds time to indulge in his creative and charitable pursuits. Following his marathon for Random Acts, which raised almost $85,000 for charities in Haiti and Pakistan (as well as funding future random acts of kindness worldwide), Collins' charity sent a team to Haiti to deliver the money raised to a number of orphanages, and he encouraged fans to keep an eye on the Random Acts website for a video from the trip that will be posted in the near future.

Collins also confided that he has a number of directorial and artistic endeavors in the pipeline, following the online release of his short film, Stranger Danger. He told us that he and a group of friends often get together to film projects, calling themselves 20,000 Parades (no, he doesn't know where the name came from).

"We have a lot of ideas, and we're doin' stuff," he admitted, having already launched a video of the group's latest activity while he was attending the Asylum convention -- a formal tea party held on a traffic island in L.A. earlier this summer, in response to the current political Tea Party movement sweeping America. You can check out the video below:

Another video involving a very creative tree project is coming soon, so keep an eye on Youtube and Collins' Twitter feed for the latest updates.

As for tonight's episode, Castiel fans can be assured of their fix when the angel returns to "diagnose" Sam Winchester's current, emotionless condition -- unfortunately, the results don't sound all that reassuring for Dean.

Check out a clip of tonight's all new episode of 'Supernatural' below, and don't forget to tune in at 9PM ET on the CW, as Sam and Dean's familial tensions come to a head. Be sure to return here next week for a feature on TV Squad's recent press visit to the 'Supernatural' set.

Follow Laura on Twitter @LauinLA.

pat

Is there possibly a Bon Jovi school of acting? All three guys on Supernatural alter their voice to a far rougher growl, just like Jon does to sing. To see what I'm talking about compare them now to season 1. You'll be amazed at how far the voices have changed!

November 08 2010 at 3:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kay

Thanks for this awesome spoilery interview, Laura. I hope you're right and we get more Castiel in the second part of the season. So far, his screentime has been very little. I have loved the Dean and Cas friendship for the past two seasons, and I want to see much more of it. I wonder if Castiel "getting some" is more like "The End" episode?
The fourth wall breaking idea sounds intriguing and scary, both!

November 06 2010 at 12:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sandra

I adore Castiel, he is such an awsome character. I hope we get to see some more insight into his angelicness and his relationship with Baltazar and how civil war is going.

More Dean and Cas please, and team free will too.
Eps with Cas are amazing.

Also Crowley rocks, more of him too.

November 06 2010 at 10:04 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Nothankyou

Wow, totally frustrate with this show after being a faithful fan for 5 season. I thought the writers/runner had stated we where done with the Angel storyline, liars! Can't stand Castiel, as he pretty much is the embodiment of everything that has been wrong with this show for the past 2 season. I find Misha unfunny and a total turnoff every time he speaks, I mean really is it that hard to be serious on occasion.

I see the fans service and do not appreciate it, just a note to TPTB, just because the Castiel fans are some of the loudest in fandom does not mean that there aren't just as many of us who can't stand the character, I guess it really doesn't pay to keep quite in this fandom since the loudest seem to get their opinions heard. I remember the days when the show was about the BAMF WINCHESTERS and everyone else was just a possible casualty, too bad the writers don't remember that as well.

November 05 2010 at 5:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kris

WTF? I thought we were supposed to be finished with all this angel apocalypse bs and back to the first season vibe? What the hell is wrong with the producers of this show?

Ugh, I've HATED the angel crap since they first started it in season 4.

November 05 2010 at 4:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Harper

An article about one of my favorite actors/characters in television right now. Misha Collins! As I've told you before, I love the easy rapport you have developed and I'm excited that we have more Cas in the future. He's the main reason I watch Supernatural.

Thanks for persevering to get some spoilers. And I'm also very much looking forward to his next vid as The Tea Party was so much fun and so very Misha.

I must admit I'm very curious about the 4th wall breaking episdoe and I'm wondering if it might be a case where the actors exchange place with the characters in real life. I think I read this story years ago back in Star Trek Fandom when Kirk, Spock and McCoy exchanged universes with Shatner, Nimoy and DeForrest Kelly. Or who knows what it could be? As long as Misha is involved (and I hope he is), it will be great.

Thanks again Laura. It was well worth the wait.

November 05 2010 at 3:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dee

I love Misha! He's very funny and personable.

While I'm looking forward to a Castiel/Crowley throw down, I'm not so excited about the idea of Cas getting laid. For me, a large part of his appeal is his virginal adorkableness.

Now I am confused by how many eps he will be in. Did he say he would only be in 11 total for the season or just some of the first 11 eps? I really hope he'll be in more than 11 eps! While I love Sam and Dean to death, they're just way more interesting with Castiel in the mix.

November 05 2010 at 2:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Dee's comment
Laura Prudom

Hi Dee,

Thanks for commenting! He'll be in five of the first eleven episodes, since those are the ones that have already filmed.

Episodes 12-22 are still being produced/written, but as Misha said, the producers have told him that he'll be featured more heavily in the second half of the season; I suspect he just doesn't know specifics because he won't have received scripts yet past 11 yet. As a recurring character, he could technically appear in a total of 17 out of 22 episodes this year, so I'd expect to see him a lot more in the back half of the season.

Hope this clears things up!

November 05 2010 at 2:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Cassie

It's always great to read and see your interviews with Misha, he seems to have quite a fondness for you.

Looking forward to the article about the press visit to the Supernatural set.

November 05 2010 at 1:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
cody

Great article -- any chance of a transcription of the interview for those of us who can't watch videos without captions?

November 05 2010 at 12:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to cody's comment
Laura Prudom

Haha, you're in luck that it's a slow news day - here's the transcript:

Misha: Listen, I don't want to speak out of turn, but it is possible... One of the producers of the show characterized this show concept -- which is where it's at as far as I'm aware right now (so we're speaking months in advance), we haven't shot it, or seen scripts -- but he described what they're planning to do with this episode as "doing a triple gainer over the shark," not jumping the shark. I have to say, what they described to me was something I've never seen done on a television show in terms of fourth wall breaking. I'll tell you this much, it'll either be great, hilarious, bizarre, or the network will cancel the show immediately after it airs, one of the two.

TV Squad: Apparently you said something like Cas is going to "get some" in an upcoming episode. Were you kidding? Because people couldn't tell, and now the fans want to know.

Misha: Oh so people aren't sure- or sometimes they think I'm kidding?

TVS: Sometimes, it's hard to tell - I know that's crazy!

Misha: You can put those fears to rest, I'm never kidding, no. So if I say something, it's always true. You can just tell them that.

TVS: Okay. Answer the question though. [laughs]

Misha: I think I just did - by virtue of the fact that I'm never kidding, if I say something, then it's true; there's a certain inherent veracity to my comments if I'm not lying, right?

TVS: Yes, but I don't believe you.

Misha: So we can fight about this all day, but - no, the truth is, I feel kind of offended, honestly, by the question. The suggestion that I'm not telling the truth, or have at some point in the past not told the truth is sort of slanderous and it's an assault on my character and I'm not going to do this interview anymore [gets up and pretends to walk out, while laughing]. That's the way it's going.

TVS: I would NEVER dare to suggest that you would ever lie.

Misha: Right, naturally.

TVS: But, can you confirm, in an upcoming episode, that Cas-

Misha: Here's all I'm going to tell you, and I'm not gonna tell you more. At one point when we were shooting a recent episode, at one point I had a moment where I was like "Oops, I think I just slipped my tongue in her mouth..." Because you're not supposed to do that [laughs]. But sometimes you...

TVS: can't help yourself?

November 05 2010 at 1:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
cassi

I'm really curious about the Meta episode if it's so daring that the show could get cancelled immediately. :D I don't believe Misha, Castiel's fighting skills are not really impressive, I think Crowley will kick his butt. Lol About time Castiel is getting some action, Anna was super hot and his superior and they never did anything, that's plain wrong. I wonder who will seduce Castiel. OMG could it be Crowley? o o

November 05 2010 at 12:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply