November 1, 2014

Why a Sequel Series to 'Smallville' Is a Bad Idea

by Brad Trechak, posted Nov 5th 2010 1:35PM
SmallvilleIn a recent review of 'Smallville,' TV Squad's Mike Moody referenced an online article which mentioned the possibility of giving the show an 11th season.

Having an 11th season of 'Smallville,' or even bringing the characters back for a sequel series (whether it's called 'The Adventures of Superman' or 'Metropolis' or whatever comes to mind), is a bad idea. And here are four reasons why:

1. The premise. Once Clark has come of age and adopted his superhero identity, you have a show that was already done in the '90s. It was called 'Lois & Clark: The New Adventures of Superman' and focused on the Lois/Clark relationship (both stars of the aforementioned series, Dean Cain and Teri Hatcher, have appeared on 'Smallville'). Granted, 'Smallville' has somewhat developed the relationship since Lana left, but the primary concept behind the show remains Clark's growth into Superman. Once he puts on the tights and cape, we have yet another television remake. While ideas get recycled all the time on the tube, this one seems like a pointless and unnecessary rehash.

2. The actors. Simply getting Tom Welling back to do more Superman would be very costly to the CW, not to mention Erica Durance or any other supporting character. Tom Welling has played Clark Kent (although not Superman) on television longer than any other actor. The 10 years he's played the role even beats the time of Christopher Reeve's first and last 'Superman' movies (1978 and 1987, respectively). The moment he puts on the tights he may be subject to the infamous "Superman curse" (the results of which range from typecasting to death), which has has plagued and/or ended the lives of so many previous actors to take the role -- including Kirk Alyn, George Reeves, Christopher Reeve, Dean Cain and Brandon Routh. Welling might be able to avoid that curse by minimize his screen time as the Man of Steel and sticking with Clark. In short, subjecting him to the possibility of this curse might be cost-prohibitive.

3. The characters. Once Clark becomes Superman, he'll theoretically step out of Jor-El's shadow and become far more competent and confident than he was before. Once that happens, where else can the character go? It would be Superman versus a weekly super-villain and that's been done in a number of cartoons.

4. The plots. Since the show has been relegated to the "Friday night death slot", it has actually gotten better. This is coming from someone who abandoned the show after season 2 only to pick it up again in season 7. The show began as a 'Buffy' clone but grew into its own unique mythology. Once it was moved to Friday nights, the producers knew their audience and made it more geek-friendly with more comics references rather than overemotional teen-angst ... a smart move considering that the characters weren't teens anymore. It would be better in the long run for The Powers That Be if the show ended on a high note. Although, admittedly, the show hasn't been very good at creating satisfying season finales (look at the build-up and let-down of the Doomsday and Zod storylines). I actually dread the series finale given my higher expectations of the later seasons.

If a sequel series is truly desired enough by fans, then have the 'Smallville' cast reunite in the next 'Superman' movie. This would be particularly good timing since this show is ending and Warner Brothers is trying to reboot the movie franchise. With a movie-credit carrot, they might even be able to get Michael Rosenbaum to play the Lex Luthor character again. Just make sure it's a movie, and not an overblown television episode (see any of the 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' movies for examples of this bad practice).

Do you want to see a sequel series to 'Smallville'?

toofast343

Hm...now that I think about it, they can have a TV series sequel that focuses on the development of the justice league

December 18 2011 at 7:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
toofast343

I agree with what Mr. Perkasie's had to say about the topic. Even though Smallville had it's ups and downs throughout the series, the characters were what made the show into something good. Bringing back Tom Welling, Erica Durance, Michael Rosenbaum, and the rest of the cast for some sort of sequel (movie or tv series) would be an excellent idea.

December 18 2011 at 6:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jakejbrowning

this is a great show and i would love a sequel to the great and phenomenal smallville. i don't want another series of smallville i just want a sequel to the great show. i do agree that the last episode was a let down and the mythology was wrong so i would like to see the life of superman the way they have done it. i hope that tom welling does not get the curse like the others. but i doubt he would (touch wood).

November 12 2011 at 7:11 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Cindy Bentley

Well Im a huge fan of Smallville. I want more. I was disappointed to see that it was over. If they came out with an 11th season I wouldnt want a new cast though. That wold suck. I loved Tom Welling as Superman and he is want drew me into that show in the first place!

November 02 2011 at 11:25 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
megan

Smallville got throu the roof ratings before it moved to Friday and went geekboy comikbooky. The MAJORITY of fans and viewers started and few stayed BECAUSE it promised to NOT replicate Superman lore but tell of Clark Kent's life leading him to be Superman. The dismal ratings presently are gotten from leftover manboy Friday night beer guzzling viewers turned on by Durance's tits and wishing they were hot like Welling. This type of pathetic-ness is no better than the 'teen angst' label that actually equaled well acted/written drama and story plots for adults.

November 28 2010 at 10:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jonathan

This is one of those things that either way, you can see the points of each poster.
That said, I would definitely agree with a sequel series or a spin-off. In terms of the Sequel Series, I would just go with a simple 'Superman' or 'Metropolis' title, since anything with a convoluted title (for example, Lois & Clark: NAOS) will be subject to ridicule due to the similarlity to other tv shows with that kind of title.
Also, people on here go on about Erica Durance. Granted, she might not be the character that Margot Kidder gave a performance for, but here's something for those tearing down Erica Durance while saying great things about Teri Hatcher: the character as portrayed by the two are vastly different.
Erica Durance's Lois: the older daughter of an army general; grew up with other army brats and keeping her little sister in line; had to learn not to be subtle because she was around mostly soldiers.
Teri Hatcher's Lois: The daughter of a doctor specializing is prosthetics; while willing to fight her captors, often collapsed weeping. There wasn't an episode in the first season that I didn't see Teri Hatcher's Lois crying about something or other. Also, if we're really going on about acting, Hatcher was worse. I've watched Smallville, Lois & Clark, and the old movies, nitpicking every darn detail about the various characters/actors.
So here's my opinion when it comes to the whole 'casting' of sequels: if it's a 'Metropolis/Superman' type series, go with the original cast as much as you can, but only if you go more the route of Clark being more assertive as a reporter, like in Lois & Clark. TW could pull it off now. If possible, bring in Durance and Rosenbaum, but only if it won't be a 'costs more than the show's worth' paycheck.
Anyways, to clarify, I've only been watching Smallville for the past 3 years, but I watched all the seasons previous to it before beginning to watch the rest of the show. By the time I managed to do that, it was in the middle of Season 8.
If they did choose a new cast for a Smallville sequel series, I'd say just hire Brandon Routh. He's already played the Man of Steel, he has no qualms about wearing the suit, and he's someone fans like even if they didn't like the plot of Superman Returns.
Those are my thoughts, rambling though they might be.

November 07 2010 at 11:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
supermanfan

To me Tom Welling is Superman, to me the two are synonymous. I would love to see a Superman movie with Tom Welling and Lex Luthor. I wish they could resirrect Lionel Luthor for that matter. As far as a television series I think the Justice League would be the best way to go. I dont know if Lois and Clark alone would be good enough I was always a Lana fan anyway! Whatever happens I am going to miss Smallville hence Tom Welling/Clark Kent/ Clark Kent on red krpytonite/Superman!

November 07 2010 at 11:10 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
John

I've watched Smallville on and off since the beginning. I think it's run its course and the way to go out is for Clark to fully become Superman in the series finale. I also agree if they want to pick it up again after the show is done, make it a movie with a great storyline with the same cast only bring back Lex and Chloe.

November 06 2010 at 3:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jay

I stopped watching the show about 4 years ago. The plots just got too silly, and I got tired of Welling pining over that girlfriend of his, who he never could seem to get. When she started dating Lex Luthor, it made me sick to my stomach. That, and with Luthor's father pursuing Clark Kent's mom romantically, I just couldn't take any more. I don't think a sequel would generate any interest on MY part either. The show's been on too long, Welling has GOT to be tired of playing that role (although his brief big-screen movie appearances don't seem to have done anything to move his career forward), it's time to give that show the death it deserves....besides, the main actors will reap mucho $$ in syndication. Lots of cable stations who will snap up those old episodes, plenty of people who have nothing better to do all day than to channel surf who will view it...

November 06 2010 at 1:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jen

Do I want to see a sequel to what I consider to be the worst show on TV? No. Tom Welling and the other producers of this abomination have destroyed my love for Superman and are now working on my liking for other so-called superheroes. Lois Lane was once one of my favourite heroines, but no longer. There is one exception to my feelings on this matter, however. If the sequel was about Lex Luthor and how he works to destroy Superman, I'd watch that in a heartbeat.

November 06 2010 at 1:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply