November 25, 2014

Nancy O'Dell to Replace Mary Hart on 'Entertainment Tonight'

by Catherine Lawson, posted Nov 9th 2010 7:55AM

Nancy O'Dell, October 2010It's been a busy week for Nancy O'Dell. Yesterday we heard that she'll be hosting Fox's New Year's Eve programming, and today it's been reported that she'll be taking over from Mary Hart on 'Entertainment Tonight' when Hart steps down next year.

O'Dell told People magazine: "I remember watching 'Entertainment Tonight' when it first premiered and dreaming about working for the show some day. ... I am honored to be the one chosen to fill a TV legend's seat and I hope I can do her proud!"

Over the summer, veteran reporter Hart announced her plans to leave 'Entertainment Tonight' in 2011 after nearly 30 years on the show. Yesterday, she said that "Leaving this job was not an easy decision, but knowing I will pass the baton to Nancy O'Dell makes that decision much easier. ... Nancy is a talented and respected entertainment correspondent. We have spent many years working on opposite sides of the celebrity battlefield and I know the show will flourish with Nancy as co-anchor."

O'Dell will join the CBS syndicated entertainment news magazine in January as a special correspondent. After Hart finishes her final season on the show, she will step into the role of co-host alongside Mark Steines.

A former Miss South Carolina, O'Dell previously hosted rival NBC show 'Access Hollywood' for 13 years before quitting unexpectedly last December. At the time it was announced that she'd walked away from the last two years of her contract in order to "take her career to the next level." However, rumors quickly swirled that her swift exit was due to a rift with fellow co-host Billy Bush.

cow1129

I am extremely disappointed that Samantha Harris is not taking the slot. Mary Hart is never there anymore and Samantha has been great. Shame on you ET!

November 10 2010 at 12:40 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ben

ET made a great choice in hiring Nancy O'Dell I liked her on Access Hollywood when she was Co-Host of the show. I didn't think that she would take ET anchor job since she just left Access almost a year ago.

November 09 2010 at 9:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
divineparasite

Whatever happened to Jules Asner? I know she's married to Steven Soderbergh, but did she just retire completely from entertainment news? She use to be on the E Network, and then just sort of disappeared.

November 09 2010 at 1:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Terry

In spite of what all the politically correct jackass's think the correct title for this person would be "Hostess".

November 09 2010 at 1:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
trish

Why because Mary Hart wasn't young enough?? This young girl isn't half as pretty as Mary H. so what's the deal here?? A little "Age Discrimination" here I think, and isn't that illegal?

November 09 2010 at 1:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bonbon

That is a shock. I thought it was a certainty that Samantha Harris was being groomed to take over. I have to say that I'm relieved. There's just something about her that is very irritating. She was okay on DWTS but when she started appearing on The Insider I though,hmmmm, she must know someone.

I don't know much about O'Dell but what I've seen of her seems to be positive. I remember when John Tesh left how disappointed I was but pretty soon he was all but forgotten. I'm sure that will happen with Mary Hart too. But, Mary, let me say I have enjoyed you tremendously through the years and wish you well.

November 09 2010 at 12:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
carlos

SHE's U G U L Y ! I Guess happens when U interview for the Job from/on the couch.

November 09 2010 at 11:50 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lydia

Gee, I also thought that they would pick a younger gal, no offense in the age department as I'm older than either one - Hart or Odell, but let's face it - it's the entertainment industry! Good luck ET!

November 09 2010 at 11:32 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jwel

i agree it is a disappointment that they hired nancy o dell. she already had her shot at access hollywood, why not give someone else a chance and show a little diversity at the same time . they should have chosen neicy nash, instead of another cookie cutter blonde. good-bye ET for me too.

November 09 2010 at 10:58 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
NurseRiverBoat

I heard from industry insiders that Mary Hart was fired. She will step down as soon as her contract expires. She's done a good job, but her time is over.
Nancy O'dell brings a freshness to the job that Hart can not.
I wish them both well.