August 27, 2014

On the 'DWTS' Scene: Why Maks Chmerkovskiy Confronted Carrie Ann

by Michael Maloney, posted Nov 9th 2010 12:00PM
Maks and BrandyUsually, the bantering (arguing?) on 'Dancing With the Stars' takes place between pro dancers and their celebrity partners, but on last night's performance show Maksim Chmerkovskiy traded some strong words with judge Carrie Ann Inaba.

Chmerkovskiy took exception to Inaba critcizing his creative choice to wait until four beats passed before starting his "instant dance," a cha cha cha to Kate Perry's 'Teenage Dream,' with partner Brandy Norwood.

The Ukranian-born dancer didn't feel that Brandy should've been penalized with a lower score for his decision.

Host Tom Bergeron deftly tried to squash the tension by proclaiming, "Welcome to 'Ballroom Smackdown.'"

"It's not my show," Chmerkovskiy told TV Squad on the post-show press line. "When it's 'Dancing With Maks,' you can criticize me and talk to me all you want. But [my choice of choreography] has nothing to do with Brandy. It's just so stupid. Why take the spotlight away from her?"

To be clear, there's no specific rule that says a couple can't take a few beats before getting into their routine. "It was our interpretation," Chmerkovskiy said. "The song started four bars in. It was very instrumental in the beginning. Then, on the bang we started dancing and we didn't stop. [Carrie Ann's comment] wasn't necessary."

Despite the tense exchange of words between the judge and the fan favorite dancer, Inaba still gave a score of "9" to Chmerkovskiy and Norwood. They and Jennifer Grey and Derek Hough are tied for first place going into tonight's results show, which will determine who the four semi-finalists for season 11 will be.

"I'm happy with the scores," Norwood said.

"Carrie Ann looked like [she was going to give us] a 3 or a 2 1/2," Chmerkovskiy quipped.

Norwood backed Chmerkovskiy for taking a strong stance. "We're friends," she said. "We calm each other down. We've got each other's backs. Maks is coming from a very passionate, honest place. Anybody who is honest and passionate understands where he's coming from. He has my back out there and I would do the same for him. I really would."

Chmerkovskiy's decision to debate Inaba's comments were met with mixed reactions by his fellow 'DWTS' co-stars.

"I'm really glad that Maks said what he said, sticking up for the pros because we do bust our b---s," said Mark Ballas, noting his own partner, teen activist Bristol Palin, deserved higher scores. "She was blatantly better this week."

"Maks is Maks," said Lacey Schwimmer. "We all love him for that reason. He's vocal and he doesn't have any shame in what he says. I'm proud of him for that. However, with this show you have to understand that you're being criticized and you are being judged. It's a competition.

"I don't talk back to the judges," Schwimmer continued. "I never really have. You take [what they say] with a grain of salt and move on from there."

"Dude, I love the judges," joked Kyle Massey, Schwimmer's celebrity partner, who has trimmed 7 inches off his waist since the competition began. "Carrie Ann's got a crush on me!"

Former pro football player, Kurt Warner, Trebunskaya's partner, perhaps had the best insight into what sparked the confrontation.

"If you've watched [this season] lots of people take their time in the beginning of their routine to start their story or get into their dance," Warner observed. "Everybody does it. [But] sometimes judges have to find something to pick on and that was their thing tonight."

sticcob

I thought the results with Brandy going home was totally ridiculous. The Tea Party determined Cristal's fate. No way on this earth should she still be on the show, I was so disgusted I turned off the show immediately. Unbelievable, she is not a dancer, and has a long way, if ever, to catch Brandy.

November 17 2010 at 9:47 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
miapocca

1: Carrie Ann Inaba is the least qualified of the three judges. She has never been the route of competitive ballroom dancing that most of the pros have been , therefore its idiotic for her to even open her mouth. Her claim to fame is releasing an album in Japan and dancing topless with Madonna....while these pros were competing from age 3 in ballrooms!!

2: If you notice Len Goodmans points always follows the technique and entertainment, Bruno loves to be entertained and Carrie Anss just PICKS ON BRANDY.

3: I was not suprised whens Maks spoke up because I watched the show from beginning of this season after the very first season and I was wondering if I was the only one seeing the undeserved low scores brandy was getting...

4: To Maks and Bransy Credit they kept thier mouths shut and came back each time with better and better routines, till the judges had nothing to say, and at one point in time Len Goodman pointed this out to Bruno and Inaba a sto why they will criticize a perfectly good dance with very very minor mistakes

5: Again unfortunately it comes down to the fact that two black kids will eat the dust because Brandy has been low scores the entire program and Kyle massey s massive improvement is being overshadowed by given Bristol the most improved simply because the judges have to say something to defend teh producers choice of having a pig in lipstick on the dance floor each week...

Dont know why I started watching this show again, so I guess its time to ignore them. Jennifer grey is a great dancer but skimmed through by wailing ab out injuries when she could no longer keep up with Maks and Brandy!. Kyle is extremely improved and always delivers with such joy. Brandy and Maks work hard and always come up great because they know they are the most criticized. I wish them all well and hear to Maks and Bransy because they already won by putting up with all the stupid undesserved criticisms and low scores!!!

It hurts carrie ann to see a BEAUTIFUL young sexy black woman drapped over a dancer who may have spuned her advances...we all know she like em young and russian /ukranian...ahahha

November 16 2010 at 9:33 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jo

Jennifer is the only one that has a flowing graceful
moves. Brandy is stiff, Bristol needs more training
in musicality & Lacey's partner not there yet.

November 15 2010 at 10:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Virgi

I agree that Bristol has greatly improved, but this is a dance contest, not a popularity contest. If Bristol wins or stays on for another week I will no longer watch the show.

November 14 2010 at 9:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tara

Maks has a huge ego it's a such a turn off... what a narcissist!

November 14 2010 at 7:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
sally19jump

I wish we could vote for the one to be eliminated rather than the winner. Bye BP

November 14 2010 at 7:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
P. Van Gogh

It seems that most of the ludicrous comments made on these stupid blogs are more than likely submitted by AOL employees. Any comment made by anyone with more than a third grade education is erased immediately. Will not waste my time ever participating again. There are other places on the internet where everyone's view is respected and allowed.

November 14 2010 at 7:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
(junecr) junecottage

Jennifer has been my favorite from the beginning, but if she doesn't stop her whining she will not make the finals!!! I can understand an injury and age, but shut up about them and do great and everyone will see what you are accomplishing, with these, and vote for you. We have enjoyed watching Bristol coming from knowing nothing and having no personality and scared to death to now showing great personality and having (most of the time) great footwork! Her partner, Derek, has accomplished a miracle in this short time! You Go, Girl! j.

November 14 2010 at 6:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
junecottage

Did anyone happen to see Carrie Ann on The Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson last night? She was so sucking up to him and making a complete fool of herself that she appeared to have had one too many. But,sad to say, I think that is her normal behavior.I have watched so many other stars on this show who had fun and great camraderie with Craig. Maybe she needs to be made aware of how she is viewed, and judged, by her audience. j.

November 14 2010 at 6:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
junecottage

Carrie Ann and Bruno both have tremendous egos and they each try to outdo each other!! Carrie Ann does such tremendous nit- picking as in 'you made this teny-tiny little mistake' and you know immediately that the team will have a lower score when it did not even need to be mentioned if it was so small. Can you imagine getting through an entire dance and not falling on your face and then have a judge critize you on ????? The judges are unfair on purpose; could you not tell on Monday which couples they had decided were not doing well to them and immediately were called down for numerous things noone could see. Then they were given low scores 'cause somebody has to be bad'!!!! Not Fair...Shame on U!! j.

November 14 2010 at 6:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply