October 30, 2014
TV's Best Video Clips - Updated Daily

On the Premiere of 'Conan,' a Look Back Into the Tragic Past (VIDEO)

by Oliver Miller, posted Nov 9th 2010 2:05AM
On the Premiere of 'Conan,' a Look Back Into the Tragic Past It's been a rough year for Conan O'Brien. First, he got his dream job hosting 'The Tonight Show.' But after giving "Coco" the job, the "suits" at NBC changed their minds. Based on lower ratings, they wanted Conan to move into a new time-slot -- to accommodate rival Jay Leno.

O'Brien refused -- the rest is history. The host either quit or was fired (depending on who you believe). After eight months, his time on 'Tonight Show' was done. But you can't keep a good comic down. Now, Coco is back ... on basic cable. And on the premiere of 'Conan' (weeknights, 11PM ET on TBS), he peered back into the tragic past.

The show began with the words: "LAST SEASON ON 'CONAN ... '" We then entered a fantasy-style recap of recent events, filtered through Conan's unique comedic perspective. O'Brien started by mocking NBC's demand to switch the time of 'The Tonight Show.' "What can they do to me?" he said, laughing confidently. ... Seconds later, he was shot gangland-execution-style by evil NBC henchmen.

After being gunned down in a 'Godfather'-like hailstorm of bullets, Conan tried to land a series of replacement jobs. First, he was rejected by Don Draper (Jon Hamm). Draper said a career at the 'Mad Men' offices wouldn't work for Coco: "It's 1965. ... You're two years old." O'Brien then failed as a cashier at Burger King.

But following some words of wisdom from Larry King, O'Brien got his new gig as the host of 'Conan.' He triumphantly exited the TBS offices: "Looks like everything's gonna be okay!" Conan was then shot for a second time, by the same evil henchmen. "Oh, come on!" he said. Yeah, Coco gets all the unlucky breaks like that. Here's hoping he has better luck on his new show!

john r moshier

the beginning was great. then it just turned in to a talk show and never was that good with that part

November 09 2010 at 11:54 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Judy

Who cares about Conan not everyone liked him and what he did

November 09 2010 at 9:59 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
MR STONE

Years ago like in the 1970's for example you had a lot of entertainers that could set in for Johnny Carson
you really have no one even Jay leno isn't that funny, that good. AM not a real big fan of lettermen ..but he can be very funny, but he is an angry man . He is the last of the real funny talk show host.
I like to be entertained I have over 5000 movies you can see what I think of TV. I perches old TV shows
like Carol Burnett , Jackie Gleason, Dean Martin, I dream of Jennie , Bewitched, well I guess you have the
Idea. those where good wholesome family shows they entertained.

November 09 2010 at 9:52 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to MR STONE's comment
Robert

Jack I'll betyou are a hit with the ladies with your choice of TV shows. OMG what a dud you must be.

November 09 2010 at 12:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
MR STONE

CONAN O' Brien what is so funny the only thing funny is his looks.wtf!

November 09 2010 at 9:32 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
MR STONE

SORRY I've never thought he was funny..and for NBC to pick him to replace anyone is ridicules .
no one could replace "JOHNNY" THERE isn't anything good on network any more there lucky their still
on the air. they need to get some talent get back to basics in the early days of TV they all did well.
its true it was something new but it did get better , but now shows like two in a half men ? why is that show on so early 7 PM here reruns and I believe it on at 8 for the new shows and how is it they could have a young boy named Angus Jones 10 years old kid being subjected to
some pretty adult language and ideas . Why isn't that against the law?that show would be rated R why haven't the mother around the country not complaining ? we need to insist on better standers and practices on TV. people wonder why the kids are screwed up its the adults that are causing a lot of this not the kids.
there is no direction for the young any more.

November 09 2010 at 9:20 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kent

Here's some irony. I think Conan is hysterical. My wife doesn't. My wife thinks Benny Hill was funny. I thought it was low brow humor. My wife doesn't think Monty Python is that funny. I've watched Monty Python so much that I can recite almost every line from memory.

November 09 2010 at 8:56 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Robert

OMG an't this guy take a hint. I speak for all of us when I say coman is the worst ever and really should consider a new vocation. Failure after failure after failure and he still doesn't even have a clue. F**K of coman. Jay Leno IS and ALWAYS has been the KING of LATE NIGHT TELEVISION. Long live the KING>

November 09 2010 at 8:23 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Robert's comment
Rockly

I'm curious what "failure after failure after failure" you're referring to. Conan wrote for SNL and the simpsons then went on to host Late Night on NBC for 16 years. Seems like a pretty solid track record to me but what do i know when all I have to back up my "opinion" is "data" and "facts". Also I don't care for every show on the air but I respect the right of other people to enjoy whatever they please. If you guys don't like a certain cereal do you demand it be taken from the grocery store shelves?

November 09 2010 at 9:17 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
djtonydee

CONAN=WODDY WOOD PECKER-HEAD

November 09 2010 at 8:20 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sam Greenfield

Yeah,that must be it,once I reached fifty,I stopped knowing how to laugh.
Conan engineered the takeover of the 11:30 show, the ratings nosedived,and he was cancelled with an enormous golden parachute. Let it go,Red!If he's hip,then we need a hip replacement.

November 09 2010 at 8:12 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bobbb

Of course, Burger King would not hire him-he looks like a spy from Bob's Big Boy. Which is where he should go back to or do something with the hair, etc. I see he grew a beard. That helps his looks. Wear something bigger so you don't look so skinny-maybe Cosby sweaters. Skip the tie, your too much of an adolescent to wear a tie and it makes your neck look skinny too. Hey, I would like to pull for you dude, but you need to improve. Take a step up from the childish bathroom humor. You can be really great. You have a great sense of humor and really great timing. And you can think funny. But you need to know your audience. Go out and do some club gigs to sort out your material like all the other comics. You'll see, you will have more fun too.

November 09 2010 at 8:06 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Bobbb's comment
JEREMY

Actually,Bob, you mat be ONTO something here.

The best way for a comic of Conan's caliber WOULD be to do occasional stand-up in clubs.

Bill Cosby still did some stand-up gigs even when his was just about the only show people would watch during its run.

He also sold a lot of Jello Pudding pops,in the meantime.

Maybe Conan should do some TV ads,on occasion.

November 09 2010 at 8:29 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply