September 18, 2014

On the 'DWTS' Scene: Kurt Warner Jokes About His 'Unfair' Exit

by Michael Maloney, posted Nov 10th 2010 9:00AM
Kurt Warner and Anna TrebunskayaKurt Warner earned both high scores and high praise from the judges on Monday night's 'Dancing With the Stars' performance show, but he and pro partner Anna Trebunskaya were sent packing on Tuesday's results program. The couple failed to receive enough viewer votes to take them to next week's semi-finals.

The former pro football player's departure means the four semi-finalists of 'DWTS'' season 11 will be singer Brandy Norwood, actor Kyle Massey, actress Jennifer Grey and teen activist Bristol Palin.

"Gosh, it was unfair," Warner said of his exit to reporters with faux outrage on the post show press line.

On a serious note, he added, "We all think it's unfair when we get kicked off the show. We felt for a long time that we should have gotten better scores than we did so, yes, you're disappointed when [this happens.] I'm just glad it's me and not one of the other guys [who's going home.] I don't want anyone to have to go."

"I came onto this show to have a great time and have a great experience," he continued. "For so long I played football and I was good at it and I retired. The thing that I learned about being on this show is [life] is about jumping into new challenges and doing things that nobody thinks you can accomplish. This show is about grabbing hold of new opportunities and embracing them."

"I'm disappointed," Trebunskaya, Warner's partner, told TV Squad. "I thought [Monday] was Kurt's best performance. He nailed every beat. It was like we finally got into the candy store and now, all of a sudden, we're told it's time to leave. This truly is the season of doing your best dance and then you go."

Trebunskaya says she'll spend the next day or so decompressing and then she'll visit family. "I have a niece, Zhanna, who was born in September who's in New York and I still haven't met her yet. I'm going to see her and enjoy spending time with family."

The remaining couples were sad to see Warner and Trebunskaya leave, but they were also thrilled they're advancing to the coveted semi-finals.

"It's great," two-time winner Derek Hough said. "This may sound silly, but for me, the pressure part is over [in a way.] The semi-finals is a time when you can enjoy all the hard work and labor that you've put in all season. Then, you go for it with that last push."

"I'm just so excited," says Grey. "I have a renewed vigor. The end is in sight. Let's dig deep and pull it out."

Maksim Chmerkovskiy and Brandy NorwoodChmerkovskiy and Norwood were in jeopardy and had to to wait until the end of the show to learn that they'd be safe. The possibility that Chmerkovskiy's verbal banter with Inaba had cost them votes couldn't help but cross their minds.

"I don't want to use the word I really want to use, but I was 'you-know-what-[ing]' bricks," Norwood said. "I was scared!"

Producers said the other in-jeopardy couple wasn't necessarily in the bottom two, "But why us?" Chermkovskiy asked. "Why us?"

Chmerkovskiy revealed he walked over to Inaba as the show's closing credits rolled on Tuesday's show and the two exchanged a polite and pleasant conversation. "I have nothing against Carrie Ann and she has nothing against me," Chmerkovskiy explained. "I just want people to know that what I say comes from my heart.

"Now, I'm focused on our dances for next week -- the paso doble and the Argentine tango," he added.

\Massey celebrated the fact that he's the last male celebrity in the competition, having outlasted hunks Warner, Rick Fox, Mike "The Situation" Sorrentino and David Hasselhoff.

"I'm the last guy," Massey exclaimed. "I have to go out there and try to bring home the trophy!"

"Next week is almost more important than the finals," mused Schwimmer. "If you can make it to the finals then you've overcome everything. We're thrilled to have gotten this far."

Massey joked that if he wins he's going to have a miniature replica of the coveted mirror ball trophy made and wear it around his neck.

"I'll let kids take pictures with it," he promised.

Dennis Vetter

How to be a winner: Have nothing to recommend you personally. Be stiff, be overweight, be untalented and unable to do a split or bend backwards. Wear fringe, let your partner dance circles around you and then shimmy as hard as you can. Bring your mother to the show and have the camera repeatedly zero onto her.

November 10 2010 at 7:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bill

In our house, with non-star Bristol coming back week after undeserving
week, we have renamed the show "FOLLOW THE BOUNCING BOVINE!" If the
producers want the child of a conservative icon, who better than
Ronald Reagan Jr, who studied ballet and who also has a free thinking
independent BRAIN!

November 10 2010 at 3:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Circle in KC

The title of the show is misleading if "non-stars" like Bristol are invited to be on the show. Bristol is a star what? Secondly is the winnner of the "competition" to be the best dancer OR just the most popular one who gets the popular public votes? If it is not to reward the best dancer, then why have judges knowledgable about dancing? Yes, their votes count but not enough to counter the popularity vote. Thirdly even to us in the TV audience who are not dancers, it was evident that Bristol was by far the worst on the group but yet has survived. Something is drastically wrong with the basic concept of the show as it relates to deciding who the "winner" is to be. If the worst dancer, Bristol, "wins" this season's contest, we will not be watching it anymore. It would prove to us that the show is a farce like the old 64 Million Dollar Question type shows.

November 10 2010 at 1:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
thebigcheese6151

I am so mad that palin is still on this show, I think that polictics has finaly taken over what was once a dance competion,I guess it all come down to sooner or later polictes. Now we no longer have a fare competion [like it started out to be when first aired] where it was intertaining and fun, I guess the show going down hill. all the profesionals and judges are fighting with each other, that should tell you something. It's not a fare competion when you bring politics in on it, the glammer and spark is all gone. It's really disapointing that they did it this way, but is all about the politics to bad they let this happen. I'm not only pissed off I'm disappointed and don't look forward to watching it any more.

November 10 2010 at 1:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
thebigcheese6151

I hate that the fact that palins still on the show, she has messed up week after week, but still there. If any of the GOOD DANCERS screwed up as much as her they would have been gone in a heart beat. well it still proves polictics still plays a big part in everything. GET her off!!!!!!!!! and let the ones that really put the effort into this competion YES I said competion, NOT A POLICTAL RACE keep on going

November 10 2010 at 1:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
barbaram24@excite.com

Bristol should have been gone long ago. UGH!!!!!!

November 10 2010 at 12:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
al freeman

first rick fox and now kurt warner get eliminated.palin should not have been placed on the show in the first place. she has no personality and her dancing is weak to say the
least.I predict the show will lose viewers
because of this.

November 10 2010 at 12:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
gypsydiva005

I must agree with everyone...Bristol should not have made it passed the first week. Something is definitely wrong here. I too will no longer watch DWTS if she should win...which would be a sin. She has no personality and certainly cannot dance. It is rediculous that she has gone this far. It is a joke that she Audrianna was booted off and Bristol is still on the show. Please!!!!

November 10 2010 at 11:51 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Hilda

Unbelievable, Is this show about who buys the most votes? That's what it looks like, how can you let go of two good dancers as Rick and Kurt and leave Bristol? She can dance as good as Kate (from Kate & 8) in the past season, which means terrible. Mommy Palin must be working hard on making her daughter win and the judges are stupid. Why don't they criticise Bristol as hard as they do the others? go figure.

November 10 2010 at 11:06 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Hilda's comment
nora jean

What has America gone to? Politics for even a realty show? Very ungfair to those that are working so hard and get things accomplished. Not just haveing a yoyo of a mother buying her votes.

November 10 2010 at 12:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joan in AZ

What a joke it was to see Bristol safe and Kurt and Anna gone. I was so upset last night and if Bristol isn't gone next week then I think I'm done watching the show.

November 10 2010 at 11:05 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply