November 24, 2014

Bob Newhart to Guest on 'NCIS,' ABC Orders More 'Castle' and More

by Chris Harnick, posted Nov 11th 2010 6:30PM
Bob NewhartBob Newhart is returning to TV with a role on CBS's 'NCIS.'

According to Entertainment Weekly, Newhart will play Dr. Walter Magnus, a former medical examiner. When Dr. Magnus comes out of retirement, something happens that surprises Ducky (David McCallum) and the others.

Newhart was last seen on primetime TV as Morty in 'Desperate Housewives.' Before that he did a multi-episode arc on 'ER.'

In other TV news ...

Lara Spencer has denied any feud with Nancy O'Dell. Rumors swirled that Spencer was upset that O'Dell got Mary Hart's upcoming vacant 'Entertainment Tonight' seat. "There's no feud. I have a great job. I host a show that I love and that I helped launch." [PEOPLE]

Drea de Matteo will guest star on 'Law & Order: SVU.' De Matteo will play Sondra, a pregnant battered wife. [Movieline]

ABC has ordered more 'Castle.' The series has done well in the ratings, holding its own against 'Hawaii Five-0.' This season will be 24 episodes. [Live Feed]

Rob Kazinsky has been tapped to guest star on 'Brothers & Sisters.' Kazinsky will play Dr. Rick, an ex of Odette Yustman's Annie. [E! Online]

'Spider-Man: Turn off the Dark,' the upcoming Broadway show, has teamed with Syfy. The partnership will see Syfy become the show's main media partner for TV and Internet commercials. The duo will also work together on promotions and contests. [NY Times]

'Bones' is taking on polygamy. The Fox series will base an upcoming episode around the death of a polygamist. His sister wives will be the prime suspects. [Michael Ausiello]

tom kelly

To all the negative commenters above: I happen to think Mr. Newhart looks adorable: can't you see the sparkle in his eyes, the intelligence in that face, the genius of real comedy, top to bottom? I, too, thought the notice meant a whole "Bob" show, but am grateful for any appearance by him. You go, Bob! I worked at his house once, drawing caricatures for his daughter's 16th birthday (I think)....didn't get to meet him, but nice to be near him!! Nice back yard.

November 15 2010 at 12:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Gary Wayne

Good to see Bob will be back on the tube regularly again. He and Betty White bring back such great memories from my youth. Though I prefer him as a comedic actor I hope they will allow him to throw out the occasional "zinger" even in this dramatic setting. And more "Castle" as well? Great show and excellent chemistry between Castle & Beckett! Now can they just "do it" already? These shows that play on the repressed sexual attraction 2 people have for each other are arousing initially but frustrating long term (see Miami Vice, Gunsmoke, Silk Stalkings, Hunter, Remington Steele, Moonlighting, Mork & Mindy, The Price is Right & Wheel of Fortune, to name a few). Hahaha.....

November 13 2010 at 9:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Diane Marshall

Cant wait for this lovely man honor us with an appearance on a truly classic TV show. He and NCIS both have good taste!

November 13 2010 at 8:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
PeeDee Leavitt

Bob Newhart is one truly nice person. I used to know him years ago when he played the Riviera Hotel in Las Vegas. He was always a gentlemen and a very funny one at that.

November 13 2010 at 7:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Carlee

That's why tv's come with clickers...

November 13 2010 at 6:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ginny

I LOVE Castle! Hooray for more episodes of this great show. I also have great respect for Bob Newhart and I'll look forward to seeing him on NCIS, another favorite show of mine.

November 13 2010 at 5:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Charles

Bob wakes up again from a dream, that he was a comedian who murdered his career by changing into a serious actor. Larry, Daryl and daryl will play the under the house investigators. Mark Harmon and his team, will have rough time keeping a straight face.

November 13 2010 at 5:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Doug

Great! Back to drinking a half a beer every time someone say's BOB. Love that game.

November 13 2010 at 5:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
BAI

THANK GOODNESSSSSS that O'Dell got Mary Heart's spot - Can't stand Spencer (tooo harsh - no class - not like Mary at all)

November 13 2010 at 4:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Patti H.

When I first saw the headline about Newhart returning to TV, I thought it meant he was getting his own show. I was relieved to see that it was just a guest appearance on NCIS. I don't think I could handle seeing him on a weekly basis.

November 13 2010 at 4:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply