July 22, 2014
TV's Best Video Clips - Updated Daily

Jimmy Kimmel Champions National UnFriend Day on November 17th (VIDEO)

by Oliver Miller, posted Nov 11th 2010 4:41AM
Jimmy Kimmel Champions National UnFriend Day on November 17thTen years ago, there was no "Facebook." There were no updates about what a random high school pal had for lunch today, no updates about how a second cousin's virtual "farm" was doing. Now, thanks to the magic of Facebook, you can get this info. But Jimmy Kimmel thinks this may not be a good thing.

On 'Jimmy Kimmel Live' (weeknights, 12AM ET on ABC), the host discussed his latest project: "National UnFriend Day," which is a holiday set for November 17th. Although the average Facebook user has 120 "friends," many Facebook users have lists going into the thousands.

Kimmel has had enough, and he's taking a stand against the debasement of the word "friend."

"No one has 500 'friends!'" he says. Though Jimmy is kidding, scientists agree with him. Cognitive theory says the human brain can only keep track of 150 relationships at a time. There you go; Jimmy has science on his side. The host wants Facebook users to delete unnecessary "friends." He tells his audience to "eliminate" people they don't care about. "In other words," he says, "I want you to kill people."

In support of this project, guest Lisa Kudrow delivers an video message to the nation. Kudrow discusses the true nature of friendship; it's an important topic for her. "On November 17th, dump your fake friends," she says. "Do it -- before they ruin your day, your week, your month, or even your year." Good advice! And it seems like the actress really knows what she's talking about.

sr11435

Facebook has always been a NETWORKING tool.What kills me about these Facebook bashers is that there is a simple solution to you problem.... DON'T JOIN!! Or close your existing account!! Stop Whining about people's status IGNORE IT. I have over 500 friends and granted I know all these people are not my "friends" but its really no big deal. I know who my "friends" are. Stop taking things sooo serious! Maybe the word "Friend" is the problem. Let's just rename all connections as acquaintances! LOL!!

November 12 2010 at 12:13 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sandy

I seems that Facebook is for people with very low
self-esteem who must constantly be stroked.

November 11 2010 at 2:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joan

All of you who has answered this today, why not spend your time in a much better way. Feed the homeless.Spend one day at a foodbank

November 11 2010 at 2:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
VimalaNowlis

Why is it she always looks like she's about to cry?

November 11 2010 at 1:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
geomcd

Another way to say STUPID!

November 11 2010 at 12:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
scott smith

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL "LETS NEVER SEE OR HEAR ANYTHING FROM THIS TALENTLESS BITCH AGAIN" DAY. Kudrow has no value whatsoever in the entertainment world. Then again, neither does Kimmel.

November 11 2010 at 12:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mallie

ah really...really... hate .....facebook.

November 11 2010 at 11:43 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
SkyBlue

I just don't get the fascination with Facebook. How desperate are people who must have so many "friends"? Who gives a rat's a$$ what you had for lunch, or when you're in the bathroom and what you're doing there? It's narcissistic and inane.

November 11 2010 at 11:24 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to SkyBlue's comment
liguy

I agree, it's really a waste of time. I just don't get what is so great about facy spaces and tweety pages. If you really want to reconnect with people from your past, who says they want to reconnect with you? Personally, I couldn't give a rat's a** about who I went to high school or college thirty years ago and I don't care what they are doing now or a half hour from now. Too busy these days just trying to earn a living and keep a roof over my head.

November 11 2010 at 1:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Caron

Wow has it gotten so bad out there that people have lost their sense of humor???? This was ment to be a silly joke. Geeze Louise folks..lighten up already!! Gotta go now need to fertilize 200 farms, feed 100 pets, join a mob war, send a hug, friend a neighbor la la la la la...:>)

November 11 2010 at 11:20 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply