August 23, 2014

'Rubicon' Canceled By AMC After One Season

by Kelly Woo, posted Nov 11th 2010 2:22PM
RubiconAMC has canceled the critically-acclaimed series 'Rubicon' after one season.

The political thriller, which debuted Aug. 1, never garnered big ratings. Its season finale was watched by 1.04 million viewers; comparatively, 2.44 million viewers tuned into 'Mad Men's' finale the same night.

"'Rubicon' gave us an opportunity to tell a rich and compelling story, and we're proud of the series," AMC said in a statement. "This was not an easy decision, but we are grateful to have had the opportunity to work with such a phenomenally talented and dedicated team."

Though 'Rubicon' received some glowing reviews from critics -- including from TV Squad's own Maureen Ryan (read her thoughts here, here and here) -- others complained the show moved too slowly. And the success of AMC's other new original series, 'The Walking Dead' (its premiere received 5.3 million viewers), couldn't have helped 'Rubicon's' case.

Even Ryan, when asked by TV Squad readers a few weeks ago about 'Rubicon's' fate, wrote, "I'd like to think that the success of 'The Walking Dead' would make AMC feel expansive and perhaps more likely to cater to the passionate (if small) 'Rubicon' audience. But the fact is, the success of 'The Walking Dead' may tell AMC that it should investigate certain kinds of genre projects in future, not try to sustain a ratings-challenged show with an audience that was unlikely to grow."

Are you sad that 'Rubicon' won't be returning for a second season?

janettetsmith

This makes me very sad.

November 15 2010 at 4:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
BlueBuckeye

I agree that Rubicon is not for main streamers...exactly why it should not have been canceled. I watch ONE THING on AMC, and it ain't mad men. No offense to its many viewers, but it does nothing for me. Rubicon however...let's hope another network will pick it up so we can see what the writers planned for Will and the folks. One thing I have lost interest in though...4-leaf clovers!

November 15 2010 at 3:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Nancy Blethen

Just when we finally got the characters and plot sorted out, they cancel it. This is wrong.

November 14 2010 at 7:32 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Carolyn West

please please give Rubicon another chance. I loved it and was looking forward to next season. I think the actors were great There was so many things left unsolved.

November 14 2010 at 12:07 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Amazed

This is why I hate getting invested in a series like Rubicon. As an espionage thriller, it was top notch, but I knew I would be left with questions after the first season ended, then gambled that I would be rewarded with a second season and lost. Way to go, AMC. You had an intelligent series for a short time, there. Back to the usual tedious pablum.

November 13 2010 at 9:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Brad C.

Once again a potentially emergent quality show, Rubicon, is canceled; and all of the reality "GARBAGE" programs on television survive.

November 13 2010 at 5:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Elrondp

I loved Rubicon. Sad news.

November 13 2010 at 12:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
MRC

Oh, it's soooo sad. AMC misses a chance to work on a narrative that has beautiful filming innovations, interesting characters to develop that you don't know EVERYTHING about in the first season... keep it going, don't be stupid and predictable, AMC! I liked the series so much I bought the digital version so I could watch it even though I don't have cable. How many viewers are out there who do this? I'm sure this meant revenue for AMC as well as iTunes, if all that matters is the revenue. Why not give it a shot-- change the time slot! why does every show have to be slick and fast-paced? Remember the days when programs got a few seasons to develop their rhythm, their characters' personalities and their rapport?
MarianaRomo-Carmona.blogspot.com

November 12 2010 at 10:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Pat

I tried to watch Rubico oncen to see if I'd like it. I never found out what it was about because it moved so slowly that I did not manage to stay awake till the end of the episode. I decided not to make another attempt. Bet I wasn't the only one to have that problem.

November 12 2010 at 11:10 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jack

Was so anxious that that was going to happen. I loved Rubicom and now going to really think twice before I get involved in another series that has to be "unraveled" over time. Shades of Flashforwards!

November 12 2010 at 5:49 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply