November 23, 2014
TV's Best Video Clips - Updated Daily

Trying for a Time-Out on 'Supernanny' (VIDEO)

by Oliver Miller, posted Nov 14th 2010 11:55PM
Trying for a Time-Out on 'Supernanny'On the new 'Supernanny' (Fri., 8PM ET on ABC), Jo Frost travels to Arizona, where she meets the Peterfreund family. Parents Sonya and Keith are overworked -- and stressed out. Keith leaves home frequently for his job as a flight attendant, putting Sonya in charge of dealing with three young boys and a newborn baby.

The parents have their hands full with their young brood, and they're also having trouble disciplining the kids. Their go-to method of discipline is "saucing" the three older children -- that is, putting a dab of hot sauce on their lips.

Naturally, nanny Jo Frost thinks that this technique of punishment could use some work. So she comes up with something that doesn't involve burning lip pain: Her patented "time-out" method, which is when the offending child has to sit still and reflect on what he's done.

But Sonya's attempt goes wrong almost immediately. Three-year-old son Gage can't sit still, which means that Sonya keeps resetting the three-minute time-out clock again, and again ... and again. Plus, Sonya feels guilty about punishing him, which interferes with things as well. Will the Supernanny be able to show the Peterfreunds how to make things work? Or will everyone need a "time-out" from the whole time-out experience?

Peggy

I totally disagree with spanking a child. I was beaten with two by fours, wire, what ever was handy and I grew up despising my parents. Time out works with some kids, as does taking toys or privelges away, it depends on the child. All children will push and test to see who is going to win, the parent has to find a way that makes the child think and have the last say, in no way should negative talk be used to the child, nor should yelling as they tune you out after the first couple of words. No child is perfect, no parent is perfect, the family needs to find common ground and build from there.

November 15 2010 at 1:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
krs

Seems most of her shows deal with parents with too many children, undisciplined and out of control. Granted, even one raging sprout can test a parent but four? One of my earliest memories was of clanging glass cola bottle together while my Mom was trying to fix dinner. After numerous attempts to stop me, she finally grabbed me and put me in a dark, locked room and told me to find some bottles in there if I insisted on cuttin up. Of course, there was nothing but thoughts of spiders and goblins. I left the bottles alone and kept REAL QUIET the rest of the night. Now that five or so minutes was a 'time-out' that left an impression.

November 15 2010 at 10:48 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to krs's comment
Susan Stephens

I have a friend whose mother "disciplined" him in that way. He is now pushing 60 and STILL has panic attacks.

November 15 2010 at 12:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Gary

Did you notice that he started crying after 21 minutes and then told his mother that he didn't like her. If she had said "NO" at the instant he hit his little brother and spanked him, he would have cried, gotten over it and enjoyed the rest of his day, while learning an inhibition about hitting. Unfortunately, this interminable timeout is wasted. It merely triggered resentment - which is aimed at his mother and will be generalized to his little brother.

November 15 2010 at 10:20 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to Gary's comment
Seiena_Cyrus

Actually hitting doesn't always work. It depends solely upon the child and just how stubborn they are. My parents tried spanking, time outs, grounding, taking things away, 3 hour long lectures. Nothing worked. If I wanted to do something I did it, end of story. Physical pain was fleeting, Time outs were nap time, I didn't need people or objects to have fun so Grounding and taking my toys did nothing, the Lectures were long and boring but it was a test of wills, one my parents never won.

Because they were unable to discipline me themselves. They were forced to wait for me to discipline myself. Which in itself was a bad idea, but they were left with no choice but to wait until I broke myself mentally so that I'd become more reasonable.

November 15 2010 at 10:56 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Susan Stephens

You're absolutely right! Whenever we reject God's instructions, we try in vain to find something that works. Time outs, locking children in closets, yelling and / or speaking hatefully, all DAMAGE the parent child relationship.

Our rules for spanking were

1. The child should know when he committed the infraction that he was doing wrong.
We had a list of five things: Lying, stealing, cruelty, direct disobedience, deliberate disrespect. (Lying being defined as ANYTHING you do or say to deliberately deceive someone. That includes evasion, exaggeration, etc.)

Second rule of spanking: Ask the child to tell what he did wrong. If he fails, explain it to him.

Third rule: Tell him that you are going to spank him because you love him, and it is your job to help him develop self-discipline. This can be expounded upon, depending upon the age of the child.)

Fourth rule: You must break the child's will, not his spirit.

Fifth rule: Pray with your child.

Sixth rule: Don't make the child say "I'm sorry." If he is not sorry, you have just forced him to LIE. Instead, make him say "I was wrong to ..."

I used to have two partial verses from the book of Proverbs posted on my wall, to remind me that I must not fail to discipline my child, and that I must do it lovingly:

"The tender mercies of the wicked are cruel."(Prov. 10:12b)

"Speaking sweetly increases learning." (Prov. 16:21b)

Here is the heart cry of our Heavenly Father:

"Oh that there were such an heart in them, that they would fear Me, and keep all My commandments always, that it might be well with them, and with their children forever!" (Deuteronomy 5:29)

Truly, ALL of His instructions are for our good!

November 15 2010 at 1:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Regee

....and you HATE your child!

November 15 2010 at 8:22 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply