August 23, 2014

NBC Hopes to Boost Ratings by Relaunching 'The Event' in January

by Jean Bentley, posted Nov 15th 2010 11:15AM
'The Event'Despite its not-so-hot ratings, 'The Event' has already landed a full-season order from NBC. But in an attempt to drum up more viewers, the network is planning a relaunch strategy for the show's post-holiday hiatus return.

According to Entertainment Weekly, NBC will air a one-hour clip show before 'The Event''s first January installment to get viewers up to speed on the drama's storyline.

"We will finish up with our first 13 [episodes] and then there will be a break, and then we'll come back with a one-hour compilation clip show of the first 13 so everybody can catch up with story," Bill Smitrovich, who plays Vice President Raymond Jarvis, said. "I hope that will spark another increase in the audience."

Though the writers have a contingency plan should the series not get picked up for a second season, star Jason Ritter said the cast and crew are optimistic. "So far, so good. Ratings have not been the most ideal, but a lot of people are watching the show on their DVRs."

Blair Underwood, who plays President Elias Martinez, shared that sentiment. "Ratings are one of the variables that we don't have control over," he said. "There is the crossfire competition from Dancing With the Stars, football, and the No. 1 comedy Two and A Half Men. Then, this is the type of genre show like 24 and Lost where viewership always picks up in the second season because people go back and watch during the summer or get the DVD. That builds an audience. And this show was sold in 200 international markets before it premiered here so there is incentive to keep the show going. We are in a good place."

Michael

These kind of strategies by the networks rarely work. If anything,all this "break" will do is erode what audience The Event now does have.I'll look for its return come January but I have little hope that this series will be renewed for a second season.

November 16 2010 at 6:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
nick

This show doesn't seem to be generating any buzz. Not a single person I know is watching it. And I gave up after trying one episode and thinking to myself, the last thing I want is to follow another Lost-type show

November 15 2010 at 6:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Steve0

I'm not one to give up a show easily. I stuck with Heroes well beyond its usefulness. But I am only too happy to cast The Event aside. Nothing worth talking about has happened since the airplane disappeared from the air. Moving on...

November 15 2010 at 4:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
wax_eagle

Hopefully this clip show airs in The Event's normal time slot instead of preempting Chuck. That would be a travesty.

November 15 2010 at 1:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Europa

Do these compilation shows really work anymore? I mean in today's TV world if you don't' hook an audience right out the gate - and keep them - a clip show several months later isn't going to do much. You're lucky if it brings in a few diehard regular fans.

Clip shows were great back in the days before VCRs and when you only got reruns in the summer. Then, you really truly needed them to get caught up or reminisce before the start of new episodes. Now days there are too many other options; viewing episodes online after they've aired, DVR/Tivo, reading blog reviews/synopsizes, waiting for the DVD package. Today, clip shows just seem like a cheat - a way to call an episode "new" without having actually produced one.

I also don't think more marketing will help "The Event" now either. Like someone else posted, the show hasn't quite lived up to the hype. It's a good show and I enjoy it but at the same time it hasn't been an "event" for me. It's just been slightly above average.

November 15 2010 at 1:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
matthew

This show is not holding up to its hype that was expected by all the previews prior to the shows start. For a show thats said to be like Lost .. Lost had more answers out on the table than The Event doest atm ... Still gonna stick in there, still a decent show .. esp compared to some of the others that are on air atm.

November 15 2010 at 12:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply