October 23, 2014

'Sarah Palin's Alaska' Premiere Draws 5 Million Viewers, Breaks TLC Records

by Chris Harnick, posted Nov 15th 2010 2:45PM
Sarah PalinThe debut of 'Sarah Palin's Alaska' brought in huge numbers for TLC, making it the highest-rated series launch in the network's history.

The first episode in the eight-part series was seen by 5 million viewers. According to Variety, the series brought in 1.6 million viewers in the 18-49 demographic, but mostly skewed older. Viewers over 35 -- 3.9 million of them -- accounted for the majority of the audience.

So, just who are these viewers?

A portion of the five million people who watched last night could've simply been curious about the first episode, gawkers wanting to get a little glimpse before moving on. Or maybe, just maybe, this is proof that more Republicans have Nielsen ratings boxes. The telling numbers will come from the second episode.

'Sarah Palin's Alaska' viewers could also be the same people who keep Bristol Palin on 'Dancing With the Stars.' While the eldest Palin daughter has improved throughout the dancing competition, she's only getting by thanks to viewer votes. She's the underdog, the everywoman doing an extraordinary thing -- if you can call competing on 'Dancing With the Stars' extraordinary.

Reviews of the series have called it everything from entertaining to an eight-hour campaign ad. TV Squad's Joel Keller called it "a boring reality show that's not spectacular enough as a nature show to make up the difference."

Tell us: Will you watch the second episode?

tominssales

First- WSS- proof read your crap, if you can't spell, don't post, it's bad enough having to read a morons foolish spouts than having to decipher mispelled words with no punctuation ( oh, thats right look who your writing about - how many colleges did you go to not to REALLY get a degree ) This woman with this show is nothing but a falsem phony that has no right to share in the discourse and politics of our country. If my memory serves me correctly, and it does, during the '08 election did it not come to pass that she indeed supported her hubby's "minimind mlitia group" and their moving to secede Alaska from the union ! This is the woman that thinks she should run for president ? She couldn't even run Alaska - The state that gets federal aid because it has the pipeline and gets paid by numerous oil companies - because it has the pipeline. It has a small populous for its size and as states go, not that many problems, But this was to much of a burden on this dimwit. John Mcain should be banned from the political world for bringing this media hound to, well the media, they love her. The so called journalists have it easy with her - she's politics and entertainment all in one, not good at either. I never have visited Alaska, I always planned on it actually - well, until 2008 - when this faker ruined my ever wanting to be any part of anything to do with anything she was involved in.

November 20 2010 at 9:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ynot34945

Much love to Sarah and Bristol, and the whole Palin Family!I am a proud Independant that helped "CRUSH" the liberals in November. Look forward to it again in 2012. All you libs , get a job...Oh wait, Obama has made that hard to do huh? Not many out there thanks to him...

November 20 2010 at 9:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
oken1

Just like the "Sound of Music" only without the Nazis, music or singing.

November 20 2010 at 4:49 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Carol

I really like this show, I enjoy the scenery and the real family situations. It made me laugh and look in wonder at the place I have not seen first hand. I will watch again!

November 19 2010 at 12:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
c2

You know you've reached a 'highly intellectual' status when the liberals consider you to be dumb. Isn't it funny how the two dumbest people, according to liberals (Palin-Bush), are experiencing tremendous success in the USA? The libs entertain the heck out of me.

November 19 2010 at 10:54 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
c2

Congrats to Sarah Palin...whoever manages her is a genius although good looks combined with intelligence, success, athleticism and charisma is what this country loves.

November 19 2010 at 9:39 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
catchwal

all u dumb tea party need go be with palin and live in alaskas,

November 18 2010 at 11:33 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
glcnix

TLC had 5 million viewers, I wonder if those same ones are shaking their heads at Palin's being so phony... I won't vote for her.

November 18 2010 at 9:30 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jean

I watched the "Alaska" program and found it very interesting. My thought is if 5 million viewers watched it, that perhaps the TV industry should take notice and give the public decent programming.

November 18 2010 at 9:10 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
msmike

I am really sick of Sarah Palin's passive/aggressive, sarcastic attitude. She has no substance and is not smart enough to realize the GOP is using her as a media tool.

November 18 2010 at 8:18 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply