November 21, 2014

'The Amazing Race' Season 17, Episode 8 Recap

by Jackie Schnoop, posted Nov 15th 2010 5:00AM
Rappelling into the ['The Amazing Race 17' - 'Ali Baba in a Suit']

Tonight we boldly went to where no reality show (or just a rare few) has gone before -- the Middle East. For some odd reason I just can't see 'The Real Housewives of New Jersey' filming there. Yet it was a perfect location for a leg of 'The Amazing Race.'

Not only is the countryside simply amazing, but the teams were well-received by the locals. With all of the problems in today's world, this leg was a fresh air journey into the country of Oman as well as a glance at the people who live there.

OK, I need to put this on the table before I even get started ... I don't like Chad. The way he's behaved toward Stephanie, deriding her education and treating her as if she's a lesser person, makes me want to shout -- "Leave him! Dump him!" -- at my television. I keep hoping that the chip on his shoulder will weigh him down as much as an albatross around his neck would.

When Chad and Stephanie accidentally slept in and missed their departure, I got all giddy. Not so much for Stephanie's plight, but I wanted to see Chad's cheeks go all red and blotchy once more before he got Philiminated. Alas, it just wasn't meant to be. Although they caught a later flight to Oman than the other teams, their flight arrived early letting them slip into the middle of the pack.

Not only did they catch up to the others, but Chad proposed to Stephanie and she accepted. Oh, this is so not looking like a pleasant episode for me. I actually enjoy the other teams (well, maybe not so much Nick, as he reminds me a bit of Chad gone punk). Of course, Chad was shown as all sweetness and light thanks to the editing this week, which made him seem like such a good fiancé. What's going to happen next? They'll win the leg and go off on a vacation or something?

First things first: The teams had to do their challenges in the ninety-degree heat of Oman. Rappelling down the "Grand Canyon" of Oman for the Roadblock looked like a blast! Even though she can be dumb as a box of rocks, it's fun to watch Vicki throw herself into these challenges. She's like a kid with no sense of fear. I love it! Searching for the lamps with the rings was a whole 'nuther matter, though. I hope I wasn't alone in thinking "new lamps for old" and "Aladdin."

The real peek at the Omani people came during the Detour as teams first filled trucks with water, then delivered it to designated homes. As in every other country through which the race runs, the locals seemed to be happy to be a part of it. Whether giving directions or becoming otherwise involved in the challenges, not one person balked at helping the racers. And, for once, the teams themselves seemed like great representatives for us. Sure, Nick threw a bit of a temper tantrum at a flat tire, but he didn't say anything stupid to the locals.

The marketplace where they had to deliver frankincense to Ali Baba in a suit was definitely the kind of place a real tourist could spend a few days exploring. Not so here! The teams had the need for speed. No time to shop! (Talking of shopping on 'TAR', remember Danny and Oswald, from Season 2? They found time to shop just about everywhere.)

After winning three legs of the race thus far, it was Nat and Kat's turn to fall behind, along with Gary and Mallory. The latter have been running mid-pack each week, better than I would have predicted. Both teams followed a map to get to the canyon destination. Epic failure for both!

Tonight seemed to be the night of the couples. Jill and Thomas have been strong throughout the race and this time were pitted against Stephanie and Chad heading for the Pit Stop. Yes! Jill and Thomas made it there first! Yay! Er, no. They had to endure a 30-minute penalty for paying a taxi to lead them. Chad and Stephanie took first place, along with this week's prize: A trip to Belize. Sigh.

Gary and Mallory came in last and were Philiminated. While Mallory sometimes made me cringe just because she's just so darn perky and bubbly, I'm going to miss them. Unlike many father and daughter teams before, they weren't mending a relationship. They were enhancing their already good relationship.

'The Amazing Race' airs Sundays, 8PM ET on CBS.

Will Chad go back to being mean to Stephanie?
Of course, he'll never really change.259 (79.2%)
No, he realizes the error of his ways.17 (5.2%)
I don't know. I just don't want them to win!51 (15.6%)

Edward

It's Ali Baba in the Souq...it was Nick and Vikki who messed it up

November 19 2010 at 9:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jihan

hey... i really loved Oman's episode coz I am omani
amazing race is one of my favorite shows everr

good luck 4 the rest of the teams..

Assalamo Alykom ( peace be with u )

November 18 2010 at 3:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
AmazingRace17

I have to admit..... That is sooo romantic. Even the other teams was shocked. The seaside of Oman made it so.... Romantic, Nat & Kat or Chad & Stephanie is the best candidate of winning so far.
I'm guessing ALOT of good things happened to them today, they're late 2 hours to pitstart and they got 1st, also the proposal and the prize also the penalty given to Jill & Thomas is luck to Chad & Stephanie. I think they're getting bad things in the next leg at Bangladesh (CBS said so).

November 15 2010 at 8:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mike

Yeah, Jackie, I actually think you're adding to Chad's douchery and taking it away from Thomas. I don't remember Chad every belittling her for her education... that was Mr. Notre Dame Thomas.

Don't get me wrong, I think Chad's a jackass, too... but Thomas is just as bad, as the above poster points out. His tone and actions are always on the edge of just being a total jerk. I'm surprised there wasn't something else he'd clearly done this week, as in several episodes prior when asked if he had done something that 99% of us haven't he derisively said, "of course"... yeah... Total jerk, and I can't believe you're giving him a pass for it... Is it because he's hotter than Chad?

November 15 2010 at 2:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Mike's comment
Jackie Schnoop

Yes, Thomas is a jerk, too. I was thinking it might be just me being female thinking all the guys in the couples were overbearing!

On the other hand, I think we have some of the best working together racers on teams this year -- Nat and Kat, Brook and Claire and even some of the eliminated teams. Treating each other decently and having fun with the race!

November 15 2010 at 8:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
melheal

Its funny, Jackie...I've found Thomas to be WAAAAYYYY more critical and insulting of Jill than Chad has been towards Stephanie but yet you don't really mention that. Even this week, the way said "Clearly!" when Jill said they needed to ask a local for directions. SOOO rude! And the tone he used....arrrgghhh....

And Nick...don't even get me started...he is just out and out abusive towards Vicki.

Chad, on the other hand, I find to be a bit of a doofus and while he definitely gets frustrated easily, I see him as relatively harmless overall.

If the girl-girl teams are eliminated - they are my faves for the win by far!!

To each their own, I guess...

November 15 2010 at 12:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
davidm3825

First, I believe the Amazing Race was in Oman 4 or 5 seasons ago. So they have gone to the Middle East before.
The only team I don't like is Nick and Starr. I can't stand him and the way he treats her and others. It was classic yesterday when she said she got soaked and he said So What.

November 15 2010 at 12:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sassy

I was wondering how many people yelled "Say NO!" when Chad asked Stephanie to marry him. I imagined the loud wave of sound moving across the USA!

I loved seeing the locals in Oman and could not believe how hot it was. That was one very long day for the contestants!

I was sorry to see Gary and Mallory come in last. They have been fun to watch each week.

November 15 2010 at 9:54 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply