April 16, 2014

Patricia Arquette Says CBS Has Canceled 'Medium'

by Catherine Lawson, posted Nov 16th 2010 8:05AM
Patricia Arquette in 'Medium'Last month we reported that 'Medium' looked to be in trouble after CBS cut the Season 7 order to 13 episodes. Now, star Patricia Arquette says that the show has offically been canceled. (Again.)

In an interview with 'Entertainment Weekly' Arquette said "we got canceled," and that the show only has two more episodes to shoot. She said she's still in the dark as to how her character Allison's story will wrap up for good, but that the writers are excited about it. "They're like, 'we're just going to burn the whole thing down!'" Arquette's not looking forward to saying goodbye, however. "It's been a great time. I love that time in my life."

So far the suits at CBS have been tight-lipped about the show's future, but it's been dogged by falling ratings. CBS acquired the series after it was nixed by NBC, but this season's been averaging 7.1 million viewers, down from last season's average of 7.79 million. By comparison, it averaged 8.45 million when it aired on NBC.

The supernatural drama follows the life of Allison DuBois (Arquette), a medium who consults for the Phoenix, Arizona D.A's office. The first five seasons aired on NBC, and the first season in 2005 was a success, with Patricia Arquette winning a Lead Actress Emmy Award. However, the show hasn't scraped into the Top 20 since, and it's been bounced around both networks' schedules, popping up in at least three different timeslots across three different nights.

The show will, however, live on in syndication. It's been garnering respectable viewing figures over on Lifetime.

'Medium' airs Fridays, 8PM ET on CBS.

Yocheved

It makes me very angry that you cancelled MEDIUM. Switching it all around. It seems you live and die by ratings.
You Hotshots at Fox and CBS are a bunch of dummies. You did the same to CSI. Well if you pick shos like Glee and other shows of this calliber, then as networks,, you need to be cancelled. Just bring it all down and start over. What a statement by that person when those guys came on the stage'; " THIS IS THE REASON WHY I AM A LESBIAN". Well I say who cares. The question is can you act in anything but a comedy?? Go to Switzerland and have your operation.

September 18 2011 at 10:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sarah

Not happy about this show being cancelled...i just got to know and love the show... :(

August 02 2011 at 6:53 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Rose

MEDIUM NEEDS TO BE SAVE.IT IS TIME FOR CBS TO LISTEN TO THE PUBLIC. WE ARE THE ONES THAT ARE WATCH

March 22 2011 at 5:27 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Margo Lou Love

I am very sad that they cancelled Medium. My husband and I both enjoyed this show. Patricia, Jake, the girls, Manuel, all of the actors were fantastic. Watching the last show was bittersweet and a true disappointment.
It was one of the few show that had family values. Medium fans, Meg and Walt

January 28 2011 at 2:16 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Joan C21Eden

I really can't believe that Medium is over... It's been one of our favorite shows, if we weren't home it was always DVR'd so we could watch it when we go home. Even my husband liked it... I will miss it...

January 22 2011 at 12:12 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Crystal

I can't believe they are cancelling Medium....First you got rid of Ghost Whisperer & now this....What is wrong with CBS!!!! If you are making room for more of those STUPID reality shows, I won't be watching your channel! Why do you have to dump all the good shows!!! Shame on you, CBS....

January 21 2011 at 10:40 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
mtnmead542

Sad to see Medium is cancelled. Feel it is one of the best shows! Too bad CBS. This will probably make room for more reality shows! YUK

January 21 2011 at 9:46 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
google

Jan
THIS IS TRULY A AN EXTRAORDINARY (HA !) PROGRAM!!! WITH THE CHOICES OF PROGRAMS BEING COPS AND ROBBERS, MEDICAL DRAMAS, REALITY YUK,................. I CAN'T BELIEVE THE RATINGS AREN'T GOOD ENOUGH TO SUSTAIN THE POWERS THAT BE!!!!! I HOPE THE HEAD PEEPS WILL RECONSIDER CANCELING!!!

January 21 2011 at 1:53 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Denise

My tears flow the best program on the air is being canned posting 7.1mil on a friday is not too shabby. The writing until the last few episodes has been stellar, I have ben watching this show from the beginning, it managed to survive night changes (4) channel changes (2) time changes (3) watching this family grow and blossom I will miss the Dubois family!

January 17 2011 at 3:49 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
jennifer

I really dont see why they would cancel Medium - it has plenty of potential. The children seemed to be gifted in their own ways. Would have been nice to see that develope. Maybe Medium will come back on a different network? Or maybe it will 'reincarnate' under a new name/storyline?

January 14 2011 at 11:03 PM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply