April 20, 2014

PBS Cut Tina Fey's Zinger About Sarah Palin

by Ryan McKee, posted Nov 16th 2010 2:30PM
Everyone loves Tina Fey ... except Sarah Palin and now PBS.

Fey accepted comedy's most prestigious award, the Mark Twain Prize for American Humor, at the Kennedy Center last Tuesday night. PBS traditionally rebroadcasts the event the following Sunday. However, this year the network decided to edit Fey's most controversial joke, which was about Palin.

Thanks to the 'Washington Post,' here is what ended up on the cutting room floor (the video below also shows the unedited joke around the 12 minute and 30 second mark):

"And, you know, politics aside, the success of Sarah Palin and women like her is good for all women -- except, of course those who will end up, you know, like, paying for their own rape 'kit 'n' stuff," Fey said. "But for everybody else, it's a win-win. Unless you're a gay woman who wants to marry your partner of 20 years ... whatever. But for most women, the success of conservative women is good for all of us. Unless you believe in evolution. You know, actually, I take it back. The whole thing's a disaster."

PBS only showed Fey saying: "I would be a liar and an idiot if I didn't thank Sarah Palin for helping get me here tonight. My partial resemblance and her crazy voice are the two luckiest things that ever happened to me."

One of the award show's executive producers, Peter Kaminsky, claims the editing decision had nothing to do with fearing Sarah Palin's wrath. They simply needed to trim 19 minutes for the broadcast and cut a little from everyone's speeches. Coincidentally, Fey's part was the most controversial. Do you buy that?

Watch the full episode. See more Mark Twain Prize.

Eric

Tea Party: What is left are soggy, wet bags.

November 17 2010 at 12:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
YouFaceTheTick

Typical. Why are people in general not allowed to say or do controversial things anymore?

Juan said something. Shrug. Tina said something, shrug. A president got thousands of people killed yet said his worst moment was a rapper mocking him? A coach runs up the score on another. Shrug. A coach refuses to shake someone's hand after a game. Shrug.

Really, lighten up, people.

November 16 2010 at 8:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joyce N.

Sounded pretty good to me. It should have been kept in. Why is PBS afraid of Palin and her tea party gang? And the GOP?

November 16 2010 at 6:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Katie

Yeah, as a conservative woman myself, I gotta say that I must say that I do salivate at the chance of joke making headlines so soon after the fiasco that was Juan Williams' firing.

I guess not all of the people at PBS are like Vivian Schiller. At the very least, they are light years ahead of her in the realm of PR skills.

November 16 2010 at 5:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mike

Oh Jim. Everyone who disagrees with you is a liar. It was a joke.
Maybe the fact the GOP wants to limit PBS funding has scared the editors more than they will admit.

November 16 2010 at 3:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Mike's comment
Jim

I didn't say it wasn't a joke, I said it wasn't a good joke. If she told a joke based on the premise that Obama was a Muslim who denied the Holocaust, it would not be a good joke because, well, he's not a Muslim and he doesn't deny the Holocaust. The "joke" she told was based on a campaign smear that was proven to be untrue. That just made it a poor joke in bad taste. If something had to be cut, why not that? Just like lazy comedians who trot out the "Al Gore claims he invented the internet" (also not true) she was too lazy to find something Palin said that WAS deserving of a joke, just like there are plenty of things Gore said that are deserving of a joke. Maybe there is an implied level of good taste at a prestigious award ceremony at the Kennedy Center. If she had made a joke about Teddy driving off the bridge, do you think that would have stayed in? Even if it was true?

November 16 2010 at 7:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jim

Well, considering it was based on a falsehood, it's not really a good joke. Why not cut it?

November 16 2010 at 2:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply